07. A Dream of Flames

Song: Memory from the musical Cats.

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

I don't know how long I was in bed, twisting and turning restlessly, trying to get comfortable, when a snap, crackle, pop! sound caused my eyes to shoot open, and was greeted by a soft orange glow from a light source located out of my line of sight

I sat bolt upright, even more awake than I already was when I saw the sight before me. Fire crackled throughout my bedroom, flames licking up the walls, the chairs, my dresser, shooting across the doorway...

Terror washed over me as I leaped to my feet, untangling my feet from my blankets. Where did the fire come from? Why was the smoke detector not going off? Wait... why was there no smoke?

I stared at the flames as they engulfed my furniture, but for whatever reason, they weren't coming any closer to where I stood, nor were they heading for my mirror. As if on instinct, I slowly headed closer to the mirror, and a low hum began to fill the room. The voice was heavenly and very familiar, but in the midst of my confusion and fear, I didn't quite recognize it.

On either side of the mirror, the fire danced like bright orange grass waving in the summer breeze, and I stepped closer, the fire now on either side of me, forming a pathway. It was strange; I couldn't feel the heat from the fire, nor could I feel my head swimming or my eyes burning from the fumes I couldn't see. I took another step towards the mirror, and the hum grew louder, changing into the hauntingly beautiful song I had heard before I had dinner.

I have no idea what compelled me to go to the mirror, but it felt like I was in a trance, like I was Sleeping Beauty stepping through her fireplace, stepping towards the spinning wheel, pricking her finger, like she knew she just had to do it, she had no choice...

A silhouette appeared behind me in the mirror, its features hard to make out through the glow of the flames, and I felt myself grow cold with numb fear. The singing was coming from behind me now, growing softer as it got closer. I closed my eyes for courage, before opening them and spinning around.