46. Notes

Song: Notes from The Phantom of the Opera (2004). It's not too relevant to this chapter (besides the title) but it's been stuck in my head while I've been writing this.

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

It took me six hours before I was able to slip away

It's only two o'clock, and I just want this day to be over. It's been an emotional roller-coaster from the moment I woke up. Mrs. Green came into Megan's room at six in the morning to rouse us, and she didn't do it gently either. She threw open the door very loudly, then proceeded to flick the lights on and off until we were all sitting up and grumbling, trying to shield our eyes from the sudden onset of light. For the grand finale of her brilliantly executed wake-up call, she yelled at up for about five minutes to quit dilly-dallying around and that she expected us all to be outside by quarter to seven, so we could trek our way over to the field and private cemetery.

Yes, this house has a private cemetery only a ten-minute hike away. It's kind of morbid, if you think about of - none of us really know the people buried there; the graves of the manor's former residents, as well as for people such as Mr. Abrams and Alie, who have no family able to bury them closer to home. People like Stephanie and Julie may end up back here - but hopefully not for a long, long time.

I'm done with death.

My hand was still entwined with Jase's when we woke up, which, of course, Megan blathered on about for a good ten minutes while she got dressed. I was still in my sleeping bag at this point; Jase, Jamie, and Sophie had left for their own bedrooms. I was under strict orders given to me by Megan and Jase that I was not to leave this room until I had an escort of at least two people.

"I'm just glad that you finally gained some sense," Megan had said, pulling on a pair of black jeans, her hair still damp from the shower. "Do you know how painful it was watching you two dance around one another for the past week? Honestly, I was ready to grab you both by the wrists and slap your hands together myself."