.4 - the god awful letter.

O C T O B E R   1 9 9 3

Evelyn gasped and sat up quickly. She always had nightmares. Always the same concept. Her taking the Dark Mark and becoming a follower for Voldemort himself while being married to someone she hated. The end was always her tripping into a black abyss and then her body jolted awake. Basically her life that was designed for her. A life she didn't even want.

"Evelyn seriously!" A girly voice shouted and sat up in her bed, Evelyn's gasping still clear in the room. "If you have another nightmare I'm going to throw you off the Astronomy Tower."

That was Maria Hudgings. She says she's a pureblood but everyone knows it's nonsense. Her parents were friends with Evelyn's so they were basically forced to be friends. Evelyn hated her. She was controlling and manipulative and probably a sociopath. Evelyn said nothing as Maria laid back down, a silk black eye mask over her eyes and went back to sleep. The blonde stood from her bed and stood in front of the floor length mirror in her dorm room.

She had on plain light grey sweatpants that hung over her hips and a baggy Slytherin sweater. Her hair was messy and her face a bit red. Evelyn silently grabbed her wand along with a  letter and slid out of the dorms, slipping on her shoes before leaving. She walked to the Astronomy Tower and tore the letter out in confusion and fury.

"An arranged marriage! Seriously?" Evelyn shouted to herself, still gasping, and began to pace. A clock on the wall showed it to be three in the morning. She unfolded the paper and read it in a mocking tone aloud once again.

Dear my beautiful Evelyn,

   As your soon to be sixteen, your father and I have found it time to begin looking for a husband. Of course, you have absolutely no taste and would marry a trash bag other than a proper man, so we've decided for you. He's handsome don't you worry. I'll keep his name from you now as you'll find him and hex him like you did those poor Beauxbatons girls those many years ago. He's currently homeschooled as his parents found the schools to be a bit of a bore but I'll convince them to let him go to be with you and all. There isn't a drop of tainted blood in his family! Can't you believe the luck you have?

Your father wants me to tell you to stop getting detentions. Snape's told us you've had one with him the other day for fighting. Fighting! A Malfoy lady does no such thing. Be proper my love.

Sincerely,

Your Mother, Narcissa Malfoy

"Why in the hell does she think I'd actually marry some pureblood fuck I don't even know!" Evelyn shouted again, furious at the words from her parents. She crumbled the paper and threw it off the ledge, watching it fall. As the paper fell, her anger did too. She let herself crumble in emotions. She broke into soft cries and fell to the floor, her knees to her chest.

Evelyn didn't know how to act. She liked how it felt when she was with the Weasley twins in detention. She felt so light and carefree. At home her body felt so heavy with worry and the pressure of simply having their lastname. She sat up straight, took a breath before leaving as if nothing had happened as the clock showed it had merely been fifteen minutes.