.57 - proposal

D E C E M B E R   1 9 9 6

It was Christmas Eve and Molly Weasley had insisted everyone come to the Burrow for a small party. She'd cooked a feast and no one complained. Evelyn dressed rather formal in a short black dress with a pearl necklace. She held a glass of what she thought to be some sort of alcoholic beverage and stood awkwardly as everyone spoke while music played.

Fleur Delacour was there with Bill Weasley. She held his hand tightly as they mingled, looking flawless as always though Evelyn spotted how she gripped Bills hand tightly. Fred sauntered over and away from Hermione who he'd been discussing Ron's behavior with.

"Ronnie has a girlfriend." Fred giggled like a child and skipped beside his girlfriend. "Lavender Brown. Turns out all they do is snog. Everywhere it seems."

"Really?" Evelyn looked at Fred surprised. "I never took Ron as a 'snog-in-public' kind of guy." She turned back toward the small 'party' which was honestly just a family reunion. "I'm more surprised he and Granger aren't dating."

"Ron's shy with the ladies." Fred shrugged and pressed a kiss to Evelyn's head. "He'll break up with Lavender somehow and then get with Hermione."

"Or they'll play around for a while with an obvious for the other like we did." Evelyn hummed, amused at how stupid she and Fred were. "We were ever so blind."

"We truly were." Fred bent down slightly and pressed another lingering kiss onto Evelyn's cheek. He was truly in love with the girl and it seemed like their honeymoon period would continue until their dying day.

After a few more hours of dancing and enjoying the evening, Fred took Evelyn out back. The stars weren't as bright that night but the moon was. It was the third quarter phase, or maybe a first quarter phase. Evelyn allowed Fred to lead her out in the slightly wet grass as he told her he wanted to find a constellation.

"Can you see any?" Evelyn wondered aloud as she darted her eyes over the sky looking for a picture of a sort.

"No." Fred replied but he was looking at Evelyn. He dug into his pants pocket and took out a ring box. Evelyn was still looking for a constellation blindly and grew slightly frustrated as she couldn't find any.

"Godric, this shouldn't be this difficult." She muttered in annoyance.

Fred bent onto one knee and opened the ring box to show an engagement ring. It had a silver band and the gem itself was in the shape of an emerald. The design was beautiful and had an enchanting feeling. The proposal seemed out of the blue but really Fred was afraid one or both of them would die soon as war approached. He really just wanted them to be wed while they were young and had the chance.

Evelyn finally turned and was shocked. She stumbled back but Fred quickly took the hand that wasn't over her mouth and kept her on her feet. He gave a speech but Evelyn heard absolutely none of it. She was simply just shocked. She never thought they'd get to the point of marriage. Of course they loved one another and always would even if they separated but she truly didn't think Fred wanted to marry her.

"W-will you marry me?" Fred stuttered as his cheeks went pink. He grew more nervous as Evelyn didn't respond and only stood there. "I- uh. Can you say something? Please? I'm really fucking nervous and your silence isn't helping."

"We- we're so young." Evelyn managed to speak after a moment of painfully awkward silence. "And you'll be related to Death Eaters."

"So?" Fred grinned and stood up from his position on one knee as it began to hurt. "I'll be your husband and you'll be my wife. I don't care about much else." He let out a breath and continued. "So, will you say yes or no? Or say you need to think or something? Because I'll let you think for a bit-"

"What? No- well not no to you,  no to thinking. Of course I'm saying yes. I'm just rather surprised on how quickly this all happened. It hasn't even been a year of us dating-" Evelyn rambled but was stopped as Fred brought her into a kiss.

Evelyn returned the kiss and let out a laugh as Fred hugged her and spun around a few times. She got him to stop after she began to feel dizzy but was only brought into a hug from Molly Weasley. The mother was in tears and kissed both of Evelyn's cheeks before bringing her inside to discuss details on the wedding or simply how she felt on being engaged.

"Oh I can't wait for you to be a daughter of mine!" Molly giggled from the kitchen as she began to fix the two tea, which made Evelyn smile.

Before both Bill and Fleur left, they offered their congratulations. Fleur hugged Evelyn before kissing her head. 

"You'll be a beautiful bride." Fleur spoke through her thick accent with a pretty smile.

Evelyn thanked her before the couple left. Molly returned with tea and Ginny came down from her bedroom to tell George to shut up as he was practically screaming. Once she heard Evelyn would be married to Fred she quickly sat beside her and expressed her excitement for the wedding. Evelyn seemed to be the only one who felt anxious on the whole situation but she let the girls talk and put on a smile.