.8 - going back.

D E C E M B E R   1 9 9 3

Evelyn stood patiently on the platform as she waited for the Hogwarts Express to arrive to the stop to pick up the children going home for the holidays. (which was the majority of Hogwarts).

Feeling pretty that day, she dressed herself up a bit from her usual comfortable attire when heading back to the Manor. Usually she'd wear a pretty white button up shirt with a skirt and heels, mainly to please her Father. Evelyn now had on a cropped black top with cute puffed sleeves. Black ripped mom jeans matched with a chain for a belt and white sneakers. She had on a plaid green and white flannel which was undone to act as a jacket

She held her trunk in her hands as Draco held his own beside her. He wore a simple green Slytherin sweater and black pants and shoes, his hair swaying softly in the quiet and cold breeze. Evelyn raised a hand and placed it softly on his head making the boy turn to him. She gave him a smile which he didn't return. 

The train slowly came up to them with a whistle as everyone crowded to pile inside. Draco took his trunk and entered the train, going to sit with Crabbe and Goyle as usual. Evelyn entered the train after him.

"Where's my goodbye?" She called out to Draco who was doing his best to speed walk far away from her. He turned with pinky cheeks he'd blame on the cold. His eyes burned the words 'shut up', so she did and moved to an empty compartment, pushing her trunk under her seat before sitting down. She had one leg dangling off the seat while the other was bent and on the seat as she sat back lazily.

Just as the train began to move two boys rushed into the compartment. The quick flash of burning red hair showed them to be the famed Weasley twins. George gave her the 'do you mind?' look and she hesitated before she'd nodded. He sat down across from her, Fred following him and sitting beside him. 

Draco would go on rants about Potter and his friends or just anyone who spoke to or looked at the boy and how he hated them with his soul; but Evelyn liked the twins. She liked their personalities, comfortable and fun to be around. Their aura burned with mischief and love. Fred especially. He burned a warm feeling which felt to her how she imagined Christmas. A warm fire going as the snow fell outside, presents being unwrapped as joy filled the room and laughter echoing. Something she'd only ever imagined as Christmas's at the Malfoy Manor were dull.

"What are you two doing for the holidays?" Fred her them in a tone that was just above a mumble. George seemed surprised at him starting conversation as Evelyn perked up a bit. Silence followed as they stared at him. "Please don't make this anymore awkward than it already is." He groaned, closing his eyes briefly.

"We're just going home." George answered after a moment, shrugging slightly. 

"No shit." Evelyn scoffed.

Fred itched the back of his neck as silence loudly filled the room for a few seconds. "Ron's staying at Hogwarts and he's the one we prank most so it'll boring. We just do the Christmas stuff like opening gifts and mum's big dinner."

"What about you?" George snickered, leaning back. Fred stared at Evelyn, seemingly hoping for her to answer. "What cool fancy things do you do?"

Evelyn's eyebrow raised as she sat up straight. "What do you mean 'fancy'?"

"Your rich as fuck." Fred answered for George with a wave of his hand. "You have to go to a gala or something. Have parties and drink expensive drinks with like a twenty foot tree and piled up presents."

Evelyn leaned back again as she fiddled with a loose string on her jeans. Her gaze went outside the window where landscape passed them like a flash of light. "Lucius likes to host gala's but he decided not to this year."

"What do you do usually then?" Fred asked her, stretching his back out and flexing his muscles. Evelyn gazed at him before looking away, her breath hitching which George caught and smirked at. "Tell us."

"Well, I get home and go right to my bedroom to avoid my parents." Evelyn took a breath between her words as she though back to her other holiday breaks. "I have to go down for dinners as those are the 'family time's'." Evelyn's memories went to the dinners she'd argue with her family over the littlest or biggest things.

"What have you gotten for gifts?" George questioned her, glancing at Fred who was wondering the same thing.

"We get jumpers every year." Fred said with a laugh. "Mum makes them with our initial. A bit dumb, we know but she likes seeing us all in them."

"I get corsets, dresses, books on how to 'behave', candy once when I was seven, and one year I got an owl but she was taken away when Lucius found out I was lettering my cousin who's family has been disowned." Evelyn continued her ramble as the twins stared at her. "I expect you that you both already have expected those things. You'll have to be getting things of such as well."

The two shook their heads with a hum of a 'no'. Evelyn looked between them, her brow furrowed in confusion before she smiled. "Liars." She snorted. "Your purebloods. I mean not traditional purebloods but Lucius said that all pureblood girls get corsets while boys get suits and shit."

"No, we aren't liars Malfoy." Fred laughed, his shoulders bouncing as he did so.

"Ginny gets chocolate and Quidditch stuff." George replied. "Ron does too. Charlie usually gets new books on creatures while Bill gets hair magazines." The twins laughed. "Mum hates his hair. It's to his shoulders." Fred put a hand to his shoulder to show the length. "What else, Percy gets like books of stuff. No clue what he even gets as I never pay any attention to it." 

Evelyn let out a soft 'oh' and leant back in her chair. She was now sat up right with her ankles crossed.

"Do you actually get corsets?" Fred asked her, his face dropped from a grin and weirdly serious as George was still in a neutral smile. "Like, as gifts?" She stayed quiet as she looked away from them. He snorted to his brother. "Next she's gonna say she's got an arranged marriage."

Evelyn looked right up at him. Her eyes were widened and gave a shocked expression. Had he found her letter? How did he read it? Did he hear her talking of it? Fred gaped at her, glancing between her and his brother before Evelyn quickly sat back and took a deep breath. Fred's open jaw didn't turn into a smile and stayed like that.

Fred spoke a bit breathlessly as he blinked in surprise. "It was a joke." He tried to keep his smile but it faltered a bit.

"Oh look we've arrived." Evelyn said quickly, standing up as the train came to a halt. It had felt like they just got on.

She had her trunk in hand as she hopped off the train with no goodbye. Draco stood with their family already and the Malfoy's walked quietly out of Kings Cross station. Narcissa's hand laid gently on her sons back, leading him along as Lucius gripped his daughters shoulder and kept her on path. All while the Weasley twins glanced at them every so often.

-

Once they arrived to the Malfoy, Evelyn did just as she told the twins and practically locked herself in her bedroom. It was beautiful. 

The ceiling had warm string lights hung with pretty vines hung in the corners of the room and around the ceiling, mixed with the lights. The vines were from outside and she'd been able to charm them to stay alive. The walls were a dark green and had a large bay window with a cushioned seating. Her bed was a queen and had two white pillows in the back with one rectangular green one in the front. The comforter was the same green as the pillow and a white fluffy blanket was over the end. Besides that the room was a bit plain and all that was left was a big black framed mirror, a black dresser then a bookshelf with all of her books and other objects on it.

She stayed there all until dinner. It was completely silent and no one spoke. No argument fumed but tension was obvious. Draco gave the occasional glance at Evelyn but she ignored him. Lucius had a frown but appeared calm while Narcissa just stayed quiet, clearing her throat to make a bit of noise in the loud quietness of silverware hitting the glass plates.

Oddly, her mind in the silence fled to what she thought the twins were doing, Fred especially. After a moment she shook him from her head as embarrassment rose in her body. She excused herself for bed as the clock struck seven PM.