.21 - summer letters

J U L Y   1 9 9 4

Dear Evelyn Malfoy,

Freddie here. Just writing to see how you've been I suppose. I'm rather bored as George is obsessed with Angelina Johnson and is writing to her every minute of every single day. I honestly don't expect a reply with how strict your parents are but whatever. I did rather well on my OWLs. We got the letters a day or two ago. Astronomy I got a 'Poor' as who can memorize the placing of the stars? Ridiculous if you ask me. Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms and Transfiguration I got all 'Outstanding's'. Aren't you proud of me? Care of Magical Creatures I did get a 'Poor' in as it's just stupid. Then for History of Magic and Herbology I got 'Acceptable'. They are stupidly easy and hard at the same time so I quit on studying and rolled with it. Then of course Potions I got a 'D'. Thankfully no Troll's thrown in there but I'm sure Snape was considering it.

I hope your summer is good. Mum is on a baking spree and is making a lot of cakes so George and I are taking the responsibility and difficult task of eating them. Ron isn't pleased about it. The World Cup is coming up as well. Are you going? Dad's somehow gotten us all tickets, including Ron's friends Harry and Hermione. We're friends, right? If so, I can ask if you're alright with your family. Not in a 'I think they're evil' way but like a 'you seem a bit upset around them' way. It makes sense, I swear. Ginny has seemed to notice us hanging out with one another and keeps asking me if you'll come here. I can't tell if she's asking to tell me to not invite you or to get you to come in a subtle way. The invitation is always open whenever you can or would like to come. Letter me and I can get Mum to Floo you over here.

Write me back if you can!

Yours, Fred Weasley

P.S George says hello. So does Mum.

As Fred slid the folded letter into the envelope and pressing a sticker on it so it wouldn't open, George teased him about it over and over until Fred reminded him about him lettering Angelina every day to where he shut up.

Evelyn took the letter from the Weasley's old owl and let it sit on her window sill to rest as she began to open it gently. She read over Fred's messy writing and giggled in a few places. To her surprise, she began writing back. The owl seemed to sense that and stayed patiently as she wrote. Evelyn poured wax over the envelope for a seal and pressed a Malfoy wax stamp on it, printing a large 'M' with pretty decoration on the wax, sealing it shut. She walked over to the owl, patting its head before letting it take the letter and fly off.

The next morning as the Weasley's ate breakfast, Errol arrived and slammed into the window making everyone visibly cringe. Fred continued eating, assuming it was for George. Molly went over and opened the window as she placed Arthur's coffee mug onto the table as he softly thanked her. She took the letter from the owl and read the back aloud.

"Fred?" Molly read out as Fred looked up confused. "It's for you."

"Who from?" Fred asked as Molly walked over to hand it to him. He broke into a grin at Evelyn's perfect cursive. "Nevermind. I know who."

"And who is that?" Molly asked demandingly, her hands on her hips as Arthur, Ron and Ginny all gave curious expressions, clearly wondering as well.

"Someone." Fred mumbled with a shrug and tucking the letter into the back pocket of his pajama's.

"A girl you mean." Ginny teased with a giggle as Fred sent a deadly glare toward her. Molly smiled at the idea of Fred in love while Arthur began ranting about rubber ducks.

After breakfast, Fred ran to his and Georges bedroom, tripping over the steps before locking the door before tearing open the envelope gently to keep then finally unfolding the parchment and reading to himself.

Dear Fred Weasley,

I was a bit shocked to see your half dead owl arrive at my bedroom window. Your letter gave me a smile so I decided to write back. I love knowing that bitch of a Gryffindor is soon to be dating George. I did always hate her. Such a gossip. I extremely adore you not expecting a reply from me because of my parents. Who knew you'd be respectful? I did fabulously on my OWL's. All 'Outstanding's and 'Exceeds Expectation's'. If you studied you could have gotten better grades in everything but Potions. Snape only gives us Slytherins the best grades. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw he dislikes but now as much as Gryffindor. Unlucky you. I am very proud of you for your grades.

My summer is boring in a half good but bad way. Make sense?  Your mother does seem like a baker in my eyes. Midnight cookies were something I dreamt of doing with my mother but instead did with my dear Dobby who got punished for using the oven. I cried a lot after that and didn't step foot near Dobby for a day until I ended up just crying to him. I could be a Cancer instead of a Gemini. I'm not sure if I'm going to the World Cup just yet. Lucius and Draco are going and when I asked he refused as somehow girls don't find Quidditch fun. Which I don't but it seems like fun. I'll convince him. I'm not sure what we are Fred but friends seems terrifying in my eyes. I think so though. And yes, I am perfectly alright here. I've been able to stay locked in my bedroom like a fairytale princess until dinner where I'm forced to go down but sometimes I can pretend to be asleep then go down later. I enjoy knowing your sister may be terrified of me. I would be too honestly. I'd avoid me if I could. I suggest you do as only bad things seem to come from me. I'd love to go to the Burrow one day.

One day Weasley.

Love, Evelyn

Fred's stomach was knotted and his heartbeat was pounding in his ears while his heart also seemed to be fluttering. So many emotions from a letter. She finished it with 'love'. Love. He had said 'yours' which he wouldn't have put as it seemed like a friendzone thing. He did hate how she was slightly warning him to leave her while he could but he wouldn't. He couldn't. She was stuck in his head.