.59 - note goodbye

A P R I L   1 9 9 7

Evelyn was on a field. A green field with long grass that waved in the wind. She had her wand in hand as her clothes were ripped and torn. Her knees were scraped and her body was dirty. Bodies laid on the floor as Voldemort and his Death Eaters fought the Order of the Phoenix and it's allies. People died left and right and Evelyn only watched after fighting for hours. She was exhausted.

As she watched, her eyes followed her red haired fiancé. He threw a spell at a woman dressed in black, her body falling to the floor moments later. His twin, George, ran over and simply gave him a high five. Both of their faces had dirt and blood on it but they didn't care. Fred had his brother and soon to be wife alive. It was alright as two of the people he loved most were okay.

Evelyn was frozen. Her body sat forcefully still as a Death Eater threw a spell at the grinning boys. She did shout, loudly, but nothing came out. It was like she was in a bubble. George was laying on the floor, panting as he began to lift his body but a green spell crashed into his back, killing him. Fred watched in horror, his eyes meeting Evelyn as he was on the floor. Fred's eyes met the Death Eater above him who had a mask to cover his face.

Fred began to crawl backwards, to somehow escape the mans grasp. Evelyn was allowed to fall to her knees but was still unable to run to Fred. She was unable to simply take the blow for him. Fred glanced back to his dead twin, then his fiancé, then to the Death Eater.

"Please. Don't-" Fred's pleads were cut off with a spell. The killing curse. It shot right at his stomach and Fred fell back. His eyes were wide open. His jaw hung down as his face relaxed.

Evelyn woke up. Her body was in a cold sweat as she sat up quickly in her bed. Fred groaned beside her, silently telling her to go back to sleep. Evelyn panted as she thought back to the reoccurring dream. It had began to come on random nights, scattered throughout the month. Now it came every night.

That's the night she decided to finally go forth with becoming a Death Eater. She'd met up with Remus a few nights ago and he simply told her to leave soon. Just to return home and say after spending so much time with 'blood traitor's' she learned that she was wrong.

Evelyn decided to leave that night. The simple fear she'd always had on the twins being killed because of her grew and grew. Evelyn didn't anything to bring with her though she desperately wanted to. She wanted to take things to remember Fred by. Evelyn did sneak a photo of her and the twins in Hogwarts in her pocket.

Thought Remus advised her not to, she left a note behind. A note somewhat explaining herself to Fred. She knew he'd be hurt with her leaving. George as well. Fred woke up the next morning to find the bed empty. He left the bedroom and looked around the flat and found no one besides a snoring George. Fred went down to the shop but found no one. When he went back upstairs he found the note Evelyn left behind along with the rings he'd given her expect her engagement ring.

Dear Freddie,

I'm so sorry. I'm sorry you had to find out this way. Recently I agreed to something that I hope will help the Order. It may be deadly but it's perfectly fine. I'm sure I'll be fine. I also feared by staying with you that Death Eaters would go after you to get back at me in a way. I love you and George so very much. I have my engagement ring on a chain as a necklace. I promise we will be together after the war. We can get married and do whatever you'd like. You can speak to the Order and they may tell you more on where I am but what I'm doing but I doubt it.

I love you so much, Freddie. Tell George all of this as well.

Love,

Evelyn

Fred sat on a barstool at the kitchen counter. Tears slowly came down his face as George left his bedroom well past noon. George was more than shocked when he read the letter for himself. While George apparated to the Burrow to alert his family, Fred simply went back to bed. He laid in bed and cried as he clutched his hand into a fist. Inside his fist was a green clip he'd kept from one of his Quidditch games. He remembered taking it out of Evelyn's hair and leaving the red clip in. Fred then tossed the clip to the floor before rolling over and tried to get some sleep.