.14 - never better

M A R C H   1 9 9 4

Thankfully, Evelyn never did remember anything she said when she was drunk so no awkward encounters were required. What was 'required' was Narcissa going to Hogwarts as she was overly exited for Evelyn's wedding with Alexander and wanted her to try on wedding dresses. Evelyn knew damn well she wasn't marrying him but went along with it as no matter how much she whined and complained, Narcissa continued as if she'd said she loved him dearly.

"Do a spin dear!" Narcissa clapped her hands as Evelyn spun around in the ugly white laced mermaid gown that didn't compliment her figure at all. "You look so pretty."

"I look dumb. Take it off." Evelyn whined, pulling at the tight lacing in the back to loosen it enough to slip it off. She had on a white romper under that covered all of her parts so she wasn't completely naked.

"Fine." Narcissa huffed and loosened the strings, letting it fall to the floor as Evelyn let out a much needed breath. "Try this corset." She smiled and held up a pure beautiful white corset.

Evelyn rolled her eyes and held her arms out so Narcissa could wrap it around her body and lie it tightly in the back. She winced slightly as she sucked in every bit of fat.

"So," Narcissa began as she tied the corset. "How are you and Alexander? Any late night visits?"

"Ew, never." Evelyn tried to scoff but it physically hurt to. "He's an ass as I've told you. Only likes me when I'm drunk."

"Maybe you should be drunk more often then." Narcissa suggested. Evelyn rolled her eyes and continued.

"Not around him." She moved her arms down as Narcissa finished and admired her work. "He'll rape me or something."

"You'll be fine." Narcissa said. "You're being dramatic. You'll love him when you both are married."

"I'm not marrying him." Evelyn reminded her as Narcissa frowned, tightening the corset as some sort of warning as Evelyn yelped from the slight pain.

"You are my dear." She said sweetly. "As I did with Lucius. You're already signed into the contract."

"You forged my signature." Evelyn growled, hating her being in the room more and more. She then grabbed the strings and pulled the corset off quickly before beginning to get dressed into a simple black and grey plaid skirt, white sneakers and long sleeved black top.

"You were always picky about these things." Narcissa ranted. "I just helped you get it done."

"I don't want it done." Evelyn continued. "I want to marry someone who I love and who loves me. Not my money or family or whatever it is that you find so important."

"Please." Narcissa rolled her eyes as Evelyn finished getting dressed and began shoving all of the wedding dresses into the bag Narcissa brought them in. "You're being dramatic."

"Get the fuck out." Evelyn said in a furious tone, shoving the bag into her mother's hands before marching out the door while her mother followed with bickering.

As Evelyn walked she covered her ears from her mothers annoying threats and punishments for not marrying the boy. They finally stopped in a corridor, a few people passing but not many. Fred watched curiously with Lee Jordan.

"Shut the fuck up already." Evelyn said in a loud whisper that everyone could hear but mainly ignored. "I'm not marrying him. Give me all the threats you want, I'm not doing it."

"You're a Malfoy, Evelyn." Narcissa reminded her, her eyes narrowing over her daughter. "It runs in the family."

"It skipped a generation." Evelyn joked but Narcissa wasn't laughing.

"You'll marry Alexander after you get the Dark Mark as your father requested you do."

"I'd rather be dead than be a Death Eater for Voldemort."

Then a hard slap came across her face. Evelyn's head swung to the side and her eyes widened with shock but no tears. Fred and Lee's eyes widened along with a few students who stopped to watch while other scurried away. Fred clenched his fists but didn't move from his spot. Evelyn turned back to Narcissa with a smile.

"Is that all?" She said with a bit of a crack in her tone but kept the smile. 

Narcissa pushed past her, their shoulders hitting and making Evelyn stumble back a bit as her dear mother walked on and out of the school. Fred quickly walked over as the students continued their day. He took her shoulders into his hands and stared down at Evelyn as she blinked a few times.

"Are- are you okay?" Fred asked her in a tone just above a whisper. He took a freckled hand and gently placed it on the cheek that had a red hand printed on it, his thumb rubbing against the skin that stung for a moment but now was numb. Evelyn looked up at him with a smile, her eyes appearing to be on the verge of tears.

"Never better."