.24 - handshake

A U G U S T   1 9 9 4

Evelyn felt the sun beaming against her skin and stretched her limbs in the bed she laid in. She felt completely normal until she quickly sat up wide eyed. She was not at the World Cup anymore and in much different clothing. Evelyn grabbed her wand that was set on the beside table and then left the bedroom, heading down the multiple floored home. As soon as she reached the bottom her wand was raised at the red haired family who were eating breakfast along with Hermione Granger and Harry Potter of course.

"Why the fuck am I here?" Evelyn shouted at them, stepping back as Molly Weasley stepped forward toward her.

"Glad I didn't sleep in the same room as her." Ginny said unimpressed. "She would have strangled me."

"Ginny! Hush!" Molly glared at her daughter who continued to watch the situation go down. "Evelyn, dear. Calm down and let me explain, alright?"

"No! Not alright! Who changed me exactly?" Evelyn ordered, lowering her wand slightly as she felt oddly safer in the moment.

"I did." Molly told her with a warm smile. "In my bedroom. Just us two. The shirt is borrowed from Fred and the pants are an old pair of Ginny's. I didn't look at anything if that's what you're concerned about."

Evelyn raised her wand once again at Fred who stood from his seat. "What the fuck are you-" Fred then bent down and picked her up bridal style making her drop her wand. "Put me down! How did you do that so effortlessly? Don't go upstairs!"

"Hush!" Fred told her as they went up the stairs, Evelyn still struggling in his grip before a door slammed leaving everyone else a bit confused downstairs. Fred put her back down on the floor and began to explain. "I found you passed out basically surrounded by fire so I picked you up and brought you here. Mom changed you then I carried you to bed. Anything else you need to know before you fire a spell at someone?"

"Fuck you." Evelyn muttered under her breath, staring down at her feet as a smile crept onto Fred's face. "Did you Floo?"

"Port Key." Fred corrected in a softer more caring tone than his previous 'I'm sick of your shit' voice from a moment ago as Evelyn nodded awkwardly. "You can have breakfast with us if you don't fire any spells, yeah? Deal?" He held out his hand out to shake hers.

"Fine. Deal." Evelyn told him but didn't shake his hand.

They walked back downstairs, Fred behind Evelyn. Evelyn's arms were crossed in annoyance as a smug smile. Evelyn tried turning around but Fred grabbed her shoulders and faced her forward as they continued down.

"Can we just-" Evelyn began as she turned to Fred to speak.

"No. It's just breakfast." Fred responded sternly and making her back down with only a glare.

The room was silent as they arrived to the bottom of the floor. Fred pulled out the seat between himself and Molly and gestured for her to sit which Evelyn did. The breakfast was rather awkward as no one decided to speak. While Molly was handing out everyone's plates her arm brushed Evelyn's shoulder making her flinch unconsciously which made Fred's stomach turn.

Hours later Evelyn was sat outside the Burrow, leaning against the wall. The silver dye in her hair had faded and would be long gone the next day. She watched the sunset in the distance as the pretty colors calmed her nerves.

"Here you are." Fred announced as Evelyn turned to him with a smile. He sat down beside her with a sigh. "Avoiding us, huh?"

"Everyone expect you, George, and your mother." Evelyn told him with a small chuckle. "I enjoy her. She's sweet. I already know you and George so I'm fine around you two I guess."

"You guess?" Fred mocked teasingly as Evelyn hummed slightly and turned away. Fred swallowed hard as he began to think about the scars Molly had told him about. "Mom told me she saw, scars on your back."

"Ah I knew she saw those beauties." Evelyn softly giggled as she leant back against the house again. "Curious of where I got them?" Fred nodded guiltily. "Beauxbatons. The burn scar is from a spell which the girls thought would only sting but performed it incorrectly so that one's permanent. Then the crueler girls put the 'slutty slytherin' on my back once they found out I was transferring and of course my house would be predictable with my family."

Evelyn watched Fred's eyes flicker with concern and sadness but a mix of anger as well. He opened his mouth to speak but Evelyn simply placed a finger to her lips, knowing damn well he was going to say 'I'm sorry'. They went back to watching the sun slowly set. Minutes later Fred raised his freckled hand once again and Evelyn looked at him confused.

"We shake hands then we become friends." Fred told her calmly with a grin. "Or just friendly to one another. Whatever one."

"Are we not already friends?" Evelyn asked him with a confused smile which Fred smiled at.

"To make it official in a way." Fred told her as Evelyn nodded. She began to bring out her hand but a cold voice interrupted the moment.

"Don't touch her."