.42 - long night

J U L Y   1 9 9 5

"Who's there dear?" Molly called out, walking over to her stunned husbands side before catching sight of the girl in the emerald gown. She was soaked, holding herself for warmth. Her short blonde hair was slightly blocking her face but she had been crying as her eyes were red as ever.

"E-Evelyn." Arthur finally spat out as Fred rose from his seat at the name, confusion running through his body.

"Oh come in!" Molly cried out, throwing her arms around Evelyn and pulling her inside as a puddle of water grew on the floor under the Slytherin. "I'll clean you up. Stay here." Molly then rushed off for towels as she left Evelyn.

"Why are you here?" Fred asked in a hushed tone, walking over to her but Evelyn took a quick step back. 

"What happened exactly?" Ginny added, standing from her seat as well as George glanced over at Ginny then back to Evelyn. "What do you want?"

Fred turned behind his shoulder, giving a mean glare to Ginny who sat back down with a sigh. Her arms crossed as she leant back. Ginny had a disliking for Evelyn which made sense as Draco was rather mean to her and Fred's younger siblings. Fred took Evelyn's hand and led her over to the kitchen and out of sight from his siblings. He then took his hand, gently placing it on her chin and making her look at him again as she seemed to be avoiding eye contact.

"Tell me."

"You sent me a letter." Evelyn said softly, guilt forming in her chest.

"I did." Fred nodded. "Why's that important?"

"The response was from Narcissa. She found it." Evelyn bit her tongue before continuing. "She made a gala and it turns out next summer I was meant to receive the Dark Mark with Draco but after she found the letter she made it the next day and when I went down I saw him." Evelyn spoke quickly before panting as she finished.

"Who's 'him'?" Fred asked her, seemingly oblivious.

"Voldemort, Fred." Evelyn's voice cracked as she felt her eyes well with tears. "He killed Cedric Diggory like Harry said. Lucius was there. Wait, oh merlin I shouldn't have come to your place!" Realization came over her that the Weasley's weren't a good friend of Voldemort and were most definitely on a hit list of a sort. "Lucius hates you all and he'll definitely know I came here and he'll do something-"

Fred gripped her shoulders, stopping Evelyn's guilty rant. Her eyes were teary but she wasn't crying just yet. He was bent down to her level which made Evelyn feel a bit hot.

"They wanted you to get the Dark Mark." Fred repeated, everything now sinking in. 

The tears finally came out and Evelyn began to cry. She was pulled into Fred's embrace, her hands holding her face as Fred pet her hair. He swayed ever so slightly as she cried.

"I left Draco there." Evelyn said between sobs. "He's there with him. I'm an awful sister. I just ran out and now he's probably going to get it instead."

Before Fred could respond, Molly came back with a few warm towels. Fred broke the embrace as Molly pulled the girl into a hug as well. Evelyn stiffened for a moment before melting into the touch and hugging the woman back. Molly took her hand and led her past the Weasley family, still at the dinner table while Arthur was stupidly stood beside the door. She came back down a moment later and sighed as she gazed over her family.

"Bill, Charlie, dear. You two better be going." She kissed and hugged the boys goodbye before turning to her remaining children. "Now, off to bed. It's been a long night. Ginny you'll be with Ron tonight." She rose a finger before Ginny could complain. "Quiet. Bed everyone." 

They obeyed and went off to bed while Arthur cleaned off the table. Molly reassured Fred she was alright and fast asleep. Fred still snuck a peek into Ginny's bedroom. Evelyn was curled on the top of the blankets, a black oversized shirt and a pair of white shorts for pajama's. Fred went to his room, getting a quilted blanket he'd gotten when he was younger and then put it over Evelyn. He snuck a kiss on her head before leaving her be.