book 2 - chapter 7

"For your tribe? Luna, you're being childish." Korra attempts to appease me once she sees me get into my fighting stance. "This is a literal crime! Are you insane?"

I scoff. "Maybe I am. But at least I'm not blindly following a psychotic colonizer."

"You don't know him. You don't know his plans."

"Neither do you!" I retort, looking at my best friend with disbelief. When looking at her eyes, I feel complete and utter anger. She was the one that was supposed to protect us. She was the one that is supposed to bring peace and balance. And yet, she's letting her uncle take control of our home. And, on the one chance we have to get them to leave, here she is, standing in my way.

"Luna, it's me. Why can't you trust me on this?" Korra queries, looking at me with a begging look. "I know in my heart that Unalaq—"

"I'm sorry, Korra. I truly am." I assert firmly, interrupting her. "But you're not stopping this coup. And more importantly, there's no way in hell you're going to get through me."

Korra sighs deeply. "I don't want to hurt you."

I narrow my eyes at her. "I'm not the one you should be worried about getting hurt."

I extend my arms with an exuberant force, creating an enormous ice wall between Korra and I. Knowing that she'd bend through it, I prepare about a dozen ice picks ready to strike. As she blows through the wall, I bend the picks with precision and pin her back to the wall through her thick Water Tribe clothing. She grunts in pain and looks at me with anger. Her arms are completely stretched and pinned back. I smirk.

Korra then proceeds to kick a huge gush of wind my way, sending me flying back. I bend water out of my flasks and turn it into snow, using it to soften my blow. I grunt as I feel some air leave my lungs but immediately get back up.

As I recompose myself, I see Korra bending the water in the ice picks to set herself free. I furrow my eyebrows towards her and use the water to lift my body up and rush towards her. I land safely a few meters away from Korra and proceed to bend a tornado-like spiral towards her. Fury is completely guiding me and every single one of my instincts at this point. I am so angry at her that I can't stop myself.

Korra gets submerged in the water that I lunged at her. I see her struggling, and yet I don't stop. I'm not trying to hurt her severely, just enough to get her unconscious and we can proceed with the plan without any further interruptions. I know that she'll understand one day.

A few moments after, I dissolve the water. Korra's unconscious body lands on the ice-cold floor. I lean in and check her pulse, which is beating steadily. I sigh, breathing in deeply and trying to stop myself from crying. I never thought Korra and I would fight for real, that we'd bend at each other, that we'd be on opposing sides.

I stand up and head in the direction Yakun and the others went. I walk quickly, knowing that either I need to catch up to them or I need to run and get out of here as fast as I can. To my dismay, I see that they didn't get quite that far ahead, as I see that they are standing right outside the government building.

I rush towards them, beginning to put my head coverings back on. "Yakun!" I hiss. "What the hell happened? Why aren't you back at headquarters yet?"

"We encountered some North Tribe guards along the way." He explained. "Nothing that we couldn't handle."

I sigh, racking my brain at how much time we have lost. How much we're behind. How much more likely we are to get caught. "We don't have much time." I press. "Yakun and I will take the snow scooter with Unalaq and the rest of you get back to base. Stay out of sight."