book 1 - chapter 25

Team Avatar is currently on the ferry, on the way to Republic City. As soon as we heard what turmoil the city was suffering, we all knew we had to do everything we could to help.

I'm standing on the far-left edge of the boat. The salty water is throwing droplets my way, which I find comforting and reassuring. I hear steps approaching me, thinking its either Korra or Asami, I turn around with a bright smile.

Yet, as soon as I see who it is, my smile evaporates.

"Can we talk?" Mako queries, a worried expression plastered on his face.

I purse my lips and look intently into his eyes. "I don't think I want to."

"Come on, Luna." He insists. "I already apologized."

"I don't care that you apologized." I snap. "I get more pissed off every single time you say you're sorry. Your words mean nothing when your actions already spoke for you."

I feel the rest of the gang's eyes on us, but I don't break my sight from Mako. His eyes widen. "What do you mean?"

"What do I mean?" I echo, flabbergasted. "I mean that when it counts, you don't care about me. You pretend to be worried about me and my traumas, but you didn't even check on me after I rescued Korra."

"Luna, I—"

"Save it." I spat; I feel as if the blood inside me was boiling. I'm so angry that I all I can think about is how much he hurt me. "I'm furious at you. I thought we were friends. I thought that we had a bond, or something. But it's all crap. Y-You're crap!"

I push past him and walk to the other edge of the ferry. Asami stands next to me and puts her arm on my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

"Your boyfriend sucks." I mutter.

She lets out a snort. "You can say that again."

Shortly after, the ferry comes to a halt, coming in contact with Republic City. We all rush off the boat and run forwards.

We all look around. Then, Asami turns to face Korra. "Where did you say that you parked the car?"

"It's right around here somewhere." My best friend replies, scanning her surroundings. As she spots it, she points towards it. "There it is!"

We follow in Korra's footsteps to find the car parked, crashed against a light pole, taking up half of the sidewalk.

"Wow, nice parking job." Asami teases.

"Hey!" She defends. "You guys got arrested and left me alone with the car. I made it very clear I don't know how to drive."

Bolin raises his hands up to his chin. "All things considered you did a great job. But, how are we going to pay for all these parking tickets?" He queries, picking up about over a dozen tickets that were on the windshield.

Mako grabs them from Bolin hands and then sets them on fire, which causes Bolin to gasp. "Relax, the city's under attack. The police have more important things to worry about."

Asami goes back to the trunk and takes out an equalist glove, placing it snugly on her hand. "This will come in handy." Then, she takes a seat on the driver's seat. Once Mako opens the passenger door, she looks at him angrily. "Why don't you sit in the back? With Korra?"

"I think I will." He asserts. I turn to look at Korra, who looks awfully uncomfortable at the moment.

Bolin and I turn to look at each other. "I'll sit in the front." I inform him, refusing to sit next to Mako. I don't care if it's petty. I'm still pretty upset.