book 1 - chapter 11

Recurrent, unwanted, distressing memories of the traumatic event.

Reliving the traumatic event as if it were happening again. Also known as flashbacks.

Upsetting dreams or nightmares about the traumatic event.

Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the traumatic event, such as pain or anxiety.

Avoiding places, activities, or people that cause remembrance of the traumatic event.

I repeat the symptoms Jinora told me countless times in my head. Unwanted memories. Nightmares. Anxiety. Pain.

They all match what I've experienced since my accident. Ever since my cousin said them to me in such a nonchalant manner, I've felt broken. Damaged. Beyond repair. I know that I've had trouble getting over what happened to me. But I never thought I was traumatized. It sounds like such a big word, like such a big deal.

I've been tracing my fingers against my scar's bumpy skin without stopping for longer than I care to remember. It has become as unconscious as breathing.

"Luna!" I hear Korra scream, startling me. I look up to see Mako, Bolin, and Korra looking at me with confused eyes.

"What?" I mutter.

"Mako says that my waterbending whip was off and I told him that he wouldn't even know. What do you think, trainer?"

"I-I didn't really see." I dismiss, hugging my knees. "I'm sorry."

"It's cool." Mako remarks. "Wasn't even a big deal, anyways."

"It was a big deal." My best friend retorts. "I need to be on top of my game."

"Let's just keep going." The amber eyed boy insists, grabbing Korra by the arm and pulling her back to the center of the training room. I sigh. I place my face in my hands and purse my lips.

My thoughts slowly creep back to where they were before. Trauma. I start thinking about that night at the rally, when we rescued Bolin, and Amon mentioned his accident, yet he seemed perfectly fine. Was he traumatized too? Is that why he started the equalist movement, to help him cope?

They start bending furiously and attacking each other with all their might, getting my attention. Mako firebends Bolin, Bolin earthbends Korra, and Korra waterbends Mako. The trio falls down to the ground and they laugh.

"It's been great having you guys back at so many back to back practices." Mako comments with a smile, his eyes locking with mine. My stomach flutters and I gulp, breaking eye contact.

"Feels good to be back." My best friend comments. "Although Tarrlok isn't too happy about our leave of absence."

"Hey!" Bolin interjects. "You guys became a part of the Fire Ferrets before you joined his task force."

"Okay, come on!" Mako says excitedly. "Team Huddle time!" They all proceed to hug each other and put themselves in a huddle. Mako suddenly separates himself and turns to look at me. "That includes you, Luna."

My eyes widen. I stand up and scurry over to them. I put myself in the space between Bolin and Mako. I notice that Bolin is looking flirtatiously at Korra, who is looking at Mako as she blushes, who is looking extremely uncomfortable. I roll my eyes. This is one twisted love triangle.

Mako clears his throat. "It's our first match of the tournament tonight. I know we haven't been a team for very long but even so, the Fire Ferrets have never been this good. Are we ready?"