book 1 - chapter 23

"Have you ever thought about changing your hair?" Asami asks. She's laying down on one of the beds, looking up at the ceiling. I'm sitting on the floor, with my legs crisscrossed.

I furrow my eyebrows and proceed to hold my braids. I turn to face Asami. "What do you mean? What's wrong with my hair?"

"Nothing." She chirps. "It's just that you literally always style it in two braids."

"So?" I press. "Korra always has her ponytail."

"Yeah, but she's the Avatar." Asami says, looking at me with a 'duh' look.

"What's that got to do with anything?" I query, putting my hands at my hips.

Asami shakes her head and intently looks at me with her piercing green eyes. "The Avatar should have a signature look. Otherwise, people would get confused."

I tilt my head and look at her with a confused look. "So, because I'm not the Avatar, I can't wear braids every day?"

"I'm just saying." She says, raising her hands as if proving her innocence. "You should, you know, spice things up."

"Should I be offended?" I ask, laughing at Asami, as I literally can't process anything she's saying right now.

Asami bursts out laughing. "No!" She says, shaking her hands in urgency. "That's not what I meant at all. I just thought that I've only seen you with your hair down once in the entirety of our friendship."

"Having my hair down is uncomfortable." I whine. "Especially if I'm waterbending. It, like, gets all in my face and then I can't see anything. Besides, I like my braids."

"Why do like them so much?" She queries.

"My mom said that my other mom loved styling her hair in braids." I say, holding unto my braids. "She told me I looked like her the first time my mom styled my hair in braids. It makes me feel closer to her. With the exception of fancy events and stuff, I can't bring myself to style my hair any different."

Just as Asami was about to respond, the door slams open. Startled, I turn to see that Chief Beifong is looking intently at the both of us, a grey robe on top of her signature metal uniform. "Hope you two got enough beauty rest." She comments. "Come on, I'm busting you out."

Asami and I turn to look at each other in surprise, then proceed to follow her out the cell. "Thanks." Asami chirps. "We owe you."

"Yeah," I agree. "Thanks, Chief."

She offers me a small smile before proceeding down the hallway. We pass through a number of cells and then she suddenly halts. She slams her hands towards a door on our right and busts it open. Inside, I see Mako looking at us with surprise and Bolin with his back towards us.

"Luna! Asami!" He gasps in surprise. Asami immediately run to his arms and they kiss.

"Ahh!" Bolin exclaims, his face turning tomato red. "A little privacy, please?"

Embarassed, I look away from Bolin and away from the couple, feeling a bit uncomfortable. "Are you all right?" Mako asks his girlfriend.

"I'm fine." Asami asserts. "It's so good to see you! I mean, no offense, Luna."

I feel their eyes on me, but I'm focusing all of my energy on looking at the floor, feeling extremely awkward. "None taken."

"Hate to break up the lovers' reunion," Beifong begins. "But Korra's in trouble. Amon captured her."

My eyes widen and I turn to look intently at Beifong. I feel like the entire world around me is collapsing. Immediately, I feel furry scurry along my entire body. Fury towards Tarrlok for separating me from her, fury towards the radicality of the equalist movement, and fury at myself for not protecting my best friend. I feel my eyes start to water.