book 1 - chapter 17

My eyes slowly flutter open. There's a darkened figure facing me, yet everything looks blurry. I blink a few times, trying to get a clearer image. My heart sinks in realization, it's an equalist. 

Suddenly, I groan as I feel a sharp pain on my wrists. "Is she all tied up?" The man in front of me asks.

"All good." Another voice answers, coming into my range of vision. How many of them are there? When did they get here?

I look around to see that my upper body is tied to a pole by the water, my wrists are also tied up tightly. My head hurts and I feel exhausted. The last thing I remember is fearing Mako getting hurt.

"Let's go. Amon needs us."

Once I see they are out of sight, I turn to look at my teammates. I see that Korra is also here, the three of them tied up next to me. They're all unconscious. In intervals of mere seconds, I see sprouts of electricity amongst the crowd. These people need help, I need to get us out of this situation.

I test out the mobility of my arms and sense that it's somewhat limited. However, I think can still bend. I manage to waterbend a very weak stream of water our way. With all the strength I have at the moment, I make the water slice the ropes that have us tied up. In order to break us free, I have to repeat the motion multiple times. I feel my wrists getting hurt with every movement I make, yet I don't stop because it's up to me to get everyone out. I do one final movement and manage to break us free.

The trio falls down. I immediately stand to notice that I step on blood. I look down at my wrists to see that they're bleeding. I wince, but don't let the fear hold me back. I immediately proceed to check my friend's vitals. They're all okay. I immediately begin to search for pressure points that I know will awaken them, as I read in a book of anatomy when I began my healer training. Once I find them, I don't hesitate one bit.

Mako, Bolin, and Korra slowly wake up. I sigh in relief.

My best friend looks up at me and blinks a few times. "Good. You're up. Can you untie me?" I ask, putting my wrists out to her.

"You're hurt." Korra notices, with worry in her eyes.

"You're hurt?!" Mako asks, scurrying next to me. "What happened?"

"I'm fine." I dismiss as my hands are freed. I immediately proceed to heal my wrists, yet I'm not able to do much as we're pressed in time. "It was an equalist ambush. We walked right into their trap. We need to stop Amon before he gets away."

As if on cue, wires break through the arena's glass ceiling, rushing down to the ring. I see Amon and his followers step grab unto them and begin to escape. As uneasiness rushes through my veins, there's an explosion in the middle of the ring. My eyes widen in fear. Amon's intentions are clear. He will stop at nothing. I turn to Korra, waiting her okay to go after them. She nods.

"Mako, do me a favor." I plead as I jump into the water, freezing it so I'm able to stand.

"Anything."

"Get my mom's picture." I ask determinately. "Please."

With that said, I waste no time as I melt into the water, creating a tornado that propels me at an enormous speed. I see Korra follow my lead out of the corner of my eye. Yet, when we're about to reach him. She begins falling.

"Korra!" I scream with worry.

Suddenly, Korra's falling is halted by metal wires. I look to see Beifong is joining us in attempting to stop Amon. Once I confirm Korra's safety, I refocus my energy into getting to Amon's airship in time.