book 1 - chapter 4

Bolin jumps out of nowhere, scaring the crap out of me. "Woo-hoo! One more win and we're in the championship tournament. So, what'd you think, Korra? Bolin's got some moves, huh?"

I roll my eyes. This guy is clearly into my best friend. I decide to lean back against the wall and rest my leg up. "What did I think? What did I think? That was amazing!" Korra exclaims.

"You did more harm than good out there!" I suddenly hear Mako's voice scold. "You almost cost us the match!"

"We won, didn't we?" Hasook retorts.

"Barely!"

"Get off my case, pal." Hasook warns as he takes off his helmet. "Ugh!" He exclaims before exiting and slamming the door.

"Useless." Mako mutters.

"You guys were incredible out there!" Korra exclaims. "Especially you, Mr. Hat trick!" She compliments Mako.

"Oh, you're still here?" He says in disdain. That was rude. Again.

"Oh, you're still a jerk?" My best friend fires back, making me chuckle. She turns to Bolin. "Anyway, I've been immersed in bending my entire life, but I never learned how to move like that! It's like there's a whole new style here. Think you could show me a few tricks?"

"Absolutely!" Bolin exclaims happily.

"Right now?" Mako interjects. "Come on, Bolin."

"Let them be." I find myself saying. "What's it to you if they bend a little?"

He turns to be a bit taken aback. Guess he didn't expect me to talk back. I smirk.

"Exactly, ignore him!" Bolin says. "Yeah, I could show you the basics. I'm just not sure how my earthbending would translate to your waterbending. But, we'll figure it out."

Oh, this should be fun. I love Korra's Avatar pranks.

"Won't be a problem." Korra says smugly as she crosses her arms over her chest. "I'm actually an earthbender."

Bolin blinks a few times, clearly taken aback. "I'm sorry! No, no. I did not mean to assume. 'Cause I –you know, was just figuring –with you guys' water tribe getups that you are water tribe gals."

I chuckle silently. This is really amusing. "Nope, you're right." Korra states reassuringly. "I'm a waterbender. And a firebender."

Bolin puts his hand on his chin. "Mm. Mm-hmm. I'm very confused right now."

I chuckle and Korra looks at me, smiling. I extend my hand and she high-fives me.

"You're the Avatar." Mako says in realization. "And I'm an idiot."

"Both are true." My best friend says smugly. Though, I can see her blushing. Huh, I'm definitely teasing her about that later.

Bolin's eyes widen. "No...way..." He turns to his brother and says excitedly: "The Avatar!"

Mako and Bolin then proceed to show us the way to the training room. The route seems really familiar, to which I realize that we are close to were I found the Hall of Fame to be. I smile to myself at the memory. The brothers ask us to wait while they change out of their uniforms.

"So." I say to Korra, plopping down on one of the stairs, crisscrossing my legs in front of me. "How come you were blushing earlier?"

Korra looks at me, flabbergasted. "What?! I wasn't blushing!"

"Oh, sorry, grand Avatar." I say, feigning my voice. "You were not in fact blushing over the snooty firebender. No, no."

"You're the worst." She says as I laugh.