book 1 - chapter 22

I look intently at Bolin with a raised eyebrow. "Get ready, Republic City. You are about to be patrolled by Team Avatar."

"You do know no one can hear you, right Bo?" I assert, a hand placed on my hip.

"It's called setting a mood, Luna." He whines. "Can't you go along with it?"

"Fine." I succumb while sighing. I clear my throat and feign a deep voice. "Republic City, fear no more, Team Avatar is here."

Mako, Korra, and Bolin burst out laughing and the earthbender proceeds to hug me from behind. He carries me and spins me around. "That's the spirit!"

I laugh as Bolin puts me down. Asami proceeds to stand in front of us, an equalist glove placed snugly on her hand. "Asami, you always know how to accessorize your outfits." Her boyfriend points out.

"I figure one way to fight equalists is to use an equalist's weapon." She asserts, showing off her new power.

"Ooh," I coo in amazement as I step next to her and examine it. "Remind me to never get on your bad side."

Asami laughs and intertwines her arm with mine. "You're too sweet of a human for you to get on my bad side."

"All right." Korra chirps as she slams her fists together. "Let's ride."

Korra proceeds to get on Naga, followed by Asami and Mako. As soon as Bolin and I get on, the polar bear-dog collapses, indicating that there's too many of us for her to carry. "All right, scratch that." My best friend says sheepishly. "Any other ideas?"

"Naga is always our go-to for transportation." I remind her, shaking my head.

"Hmm." Asami mutters, putting her hand up to her chin. "I think I have the answer."

She proceeds to take us to one of the nearest Future Industries warehouses. There, she asks us to wait outside. Suddenly, the thick, metal door begins to open upwards. Blinding lights proceed to hit us, to what we all shelter our eyes. The revving of a potent engine is heard, as well as the movement of screeching tires. Then, Asami gets out of the warehouse, driving a topless Sato-Mobile. She drifts and stops the car right in front of us. If I thought Asami was cool before, I was clearly unaware of how effortlessly cool she truly is.

"You think this'll do?" She asks smugly, one hand on the wheel.

We all gawk at our friend and then proceed to get on the Sato-Mobile as fast as humanly possible. Mako takes the passenger seat. I end up sitting in between Korra and Bolin, on the backseat of the Sato-Mobile.

"I like the new Team Avatar's style." Mako says cockily.

With that said, Asami proceeds to start the Sato-Mobile once more, and we head unto the night streets of Republic City. I look around as the wind blows my braids back, feeling excited and comforted by the company of my friends and by the purpose of our mission.

"Unit 216?" A voice from the Sato-Mobile's radio ensues. "Cancel that 1058 at Harmony Tower. Come back to the station, over."

"My dad has police scanners installed in all of his cars." Asami informs. "I guess now I know why."

Before any of us can say anything to her, the police radio once again booms throughout the automobile. "Calling all units! Level four alert! Jail break at Headquarters. Officers down. Electrocuted. Chi-blockers and equalist convicts are still at large, armed and dangerous. Last seen heading east."

"Whoa." I say in awe, looking intently at the radio, processing the information. "Guess we've got our first mission as Team Avatar."

Just as we're heading towards an intersection, Asami forcefully stops the Sato-Mobile to prevent a crash, as there are motorcycles and Sato-Mobiles speeding up ahead, going to our left. "Chi-blockers!" Bolin notices. "That's them!"