book 1 - chapter 2

Korra and I have been traveling for a few days. We snuck into a cargo ship headed towards Republic City and hid at the bottom deck, among the Sato mobiles and shipment boxes. The trip has been decent so far, the only time we have a problem is when Naga gets uneasy and starts to pace and huff. I feel bad for her, I just have to keep telling myself that we'll be in Republic City in no time.

A few hours later, my slumber was interrupted by Korra violently shaking me. "Luna! Get up, we're here!"

I groan and rub my eyes to try to get myself up. "What did you say?" I mumble groggily.

"I said we're here!" She cups my face in excitement. "We're here, sleepy head! We're at Republic City!"

Realization hits me like a boulder, my eyes wide. We're here. I grin at my best friend as we both squeal and trip over ourselves trying to get on Naga. As the ship door opens and floods the room with sunlight, I hug Korra in fear of falling off.

Naga starts running off the ship as Korra waves at the people unloading the boxes. "Thanks for the ride!"

After a fast paced run, Naga starts slowing down at the edge of the river. We get a perfect view of an immense white bridge, multiple buildings, and massive airships. I whistle in admiration. I also noticed the warm weather on my skin. The last time I was in the presence of this kind of weather, my accident happened. I try to suppress the memory and simply enjoy the fact that I'm in Republic City with my best friend.

"Wow," She coos. "Look at this place."

"I know." I chuckle. "It's so different from back home. Think we're going to miss it?"

Korra turns to look at the magnificent city before us and then back to me. "Nah." We say in unison. We both laugh. This feels like new beginnings. My heart pounds in excitement.

"I've never seen so many Sato-mobiles." Korra notices.

"I didn't know there were these many Sato-mobiles." I remark, wishing I was kidding.

We continue on and Korra halts Naga right in view of a massive statue of Avatar Aang. The moment feels explicitly bittersweet. That's my grandfather. Sometimes, I wish that I could've known and grown up with him. Then I remember that if that would have happened, Korra wouldn't be in my life.

I hug my best friend even tighter and put my head on her shoulder. "What are you thinking?" I ask.

"Air Temple Island. That's where Tenzin lives." She answers. I get the feeling that there's more on her mind, but I don't press the subject further. We can talk about it when we get to the island. "You ready for a little swim, girl?" Korra asks Naga.

As Naga begins to sniff around and starts walking away from the water, I turn to Korra. "Uh, I don't think she feels like swimming right now, Kor." 

"Thanks, Captain Obvious." Korra remarks at me as Naga picks up her pace and starts running. "Okay! Okay! Food first, then Air Temple."

Naga starts running in the middle of the road and fear overtakes my entire body. "Look out!" I scream.

"Watch it, Naga!" Korra exclaims, trying to calm down her polar bear dog.

We make it out of the road safely, but the people on the sidewalk aren't too happy with us being on the curb. Korra continuously apologizes to them while I just burry my face in her back in utter fear.

"Can we just go to Air Temple Island?" I plead.

"It's not really up to me!"

As I notice that Naga's pace is slowing down my heart rate follows. She shoves her face inside a food stand and I hear my stomach grumble. Korra leans in and stops Naga from eating the entirety of the food offerings. She jumps off and goes to the side of the stand. As she talks to whoever is in charge of the food, I let myself collapse into Naga's saddle. Boy, am I tired.