book 1 - chapter 12

"Possibly exactly what you told me not to." Korra answers, refusing to make eye contact with me.

It takes every single ounce of control inside me not to slap my best friend right now. "Did you even consider it?" I manage to ask without exploding.

"Kinda?"

I sigh exasperatedly. "You're th—"

"So, Korra." Bolin interrupts. I turn to face him angrily, to what he is totally oblivious. "I was thinking you and me, we could go get some dinner together. Sort of a date situation."

"Oh, that's really sweet." Korra responds. "But I don't think so. I don't feel very date-worthy."

"Are you kidding me?" Bolin exclaims. "You're the smartest, funniest, toughest, buff-est, talented-est, incredible-est girl in the world!"

Hearing Bolin's words makes me immediately realize why Korra might be tempted to accept his offer. What he just said is really, really sweet. But, she knows better. Or at least I hope she does. He likes her and she likes his brother. It's complicated to say the least. She has to decline his offer, for the sake of the Fire Ferrets and their friendship.

My best friend laughs. "You really feel that way about me?"

"I felt that way since the moment I saw you!" The earthbender assures. "Trust me, I know we're going to have so much fun together."

"You know what?" Korra says determinately, "I could use some fun."

"Korra, can I talk to you? Now?" I immediately grab her by the arm and begin to drag her to the corner of the room. "I'm just going to steal her for a sec, Bo."

Before Bolin can interject, I already have Korra pegged against the corner of the balcony. "Ow!" She exclaims, rubbing her wrist. "You didn't have to pull so hard."

"What on earth is going through your head, Korra?" I hiss. "Why are you getting his hopes up? Bolin could really get hurt."

"He won't!" She defers. "We'll just go as friends."

"Do you think Bolin really thinks this is a 'friends' situation?" I pronounce. "He clearly said he's asking you on a date."

"Look, I know this seems like I'm being selfish, but Bolin just made me feel so much better after Mako made me feel like crap." My best friend explains, making sad eyes at me.

"I understand that." I coo. "Okay. If you want to go, that's fine. But I'm coming."

"Huh?"

"If you truly want this to be a friends kind of thing, I'm chaperoning. Bolin could get really carried away from the fact that you said yes, and you could get all happy that he's giving you so much attention that you could get his hopes up. Don't fight me on this." I explain. "Now go tell Bolin that you invited me."

"You're creepy." She says, eyeing me. "And very analytic."

"And you're reckless." I spat. "Now tell him."

She blows a raspberry at me and approaches Bolin. He proceeds to have a disappointed look in his eyes but then turns to face me and waves a thumbs-up. I answer with a thumbs-up in return.  I sigh. This is going to be a long night.

Bolin ends up taking Korra and I to a Water Tribe joint. It's apparently called Narook's Seaweed Noodlery. When we walk in, the owner kindly asks us for Naga to wait outside. Korra pets her polar bear-dog and assures her that we'll be out soon. We sit down a table for four, Korra and Bolin facing each other. I'm sitting next to my best friend.