book 1 - chapter 20

I blink a few times, trying to adapt my vision to the darkness that has engulfed the entire room. There is very little quantity of light, the only source coming from the far end corner. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Chief Beifong leap and attempt to metalbend the big, thick wall that rose up behind us. Yet, nothing happens.

"I'm afraid you won't be able to metalbend that wall, Chief Beifong." Hiroshi Sato's voice booms across the entirety of the room. Suddenly, blinding green lights start going off one by one. I immediately lift my hand up, trying to shelter my face from the potent light. "It's solid platinum. My mecha-tanks are platinum as well. Not even your renowned mother could bend a metal so pure."

The giant, robot-like machines start waking up one by one. They approach us, circling us into a corner. We all immediately put ourselves in a defensive position. Despite having world-class benders by my side, I can't say I don't feel nerves scurrying through my body at the sight of Sato's mecha-tanks.

"Hiroshi!" Korra calls furiously. "I knew you were a liar, no-good equalist. Come out here and—"

"And do what, young Avatar?" Hiroshi interrupts bitterly. "Face the wrath of your bending? No. I think I'll fight from inside here, where my odds are a little more...equal."

"That source was a setup." Beifong spats. "You lured us down here."

"Guilty as charged." Hiroshi states, superiority oozing out of his voice. I feel a lump in my throat out of anger, this man played us. He made Korra and I look like fools. Like the bad ones.

Instantly, Sato's mecha-tank lets out a wire with a claw at the end, speeding at our direction. We all jump out of the way, dodging it. As soon as I land, I see another one coming my way, I jump back on my hands and quickly get back on my feet. I waterbend a whip with a frozen, sharp edge and cut the wire's end.

The mecha-tank attacking me continues to advance, slamming its heavy arm on the ground, attempting to squash me like a bug. I furiously drift to my left and feel my skin burn, I look down to see that my pants have a hole in them, opened through the dense friction I just experienced. I wince, then turn to face the mecha-tank with fury. I send out a water lash that wraps around the mecha-tank's feet and freeze it, stopping it from advancing any further. Then, I waterbend a ramp that goes upwards, sort of like a grand wave, and jump on it. By freezing certain points of the ramp, I manage to propel myself to go high into the air. I land at the top of the mecha-tank. I wrap water around my hands and freeze the edges, making it as sharp as a knife. I proceed to slam my hand to the glass, breaking it. I aim at the equalist driving the tank, yet I only manage to give them a slight cut on their arm, since they keep avoiding every attack I make.

Suddenly, I feel a hardened, round shaped metal wrapping my waist. I look down to see that it's the claw of the mecha-tank's arm. My eyes widen in fear as I feel myself being lifted up. The arm pulls back and throws me with a colossal strength and speed. Fear scurries through my entire body, preparing for the worst.

"Luna!" I hear Korra scream. "No!"

I slam into the wall, then fall to the ground. I feel the air blow out of my mouth during the impact, my mouth tasting metallic. Blood. I remember reading about internal bleeding when I was training with Gran-Gran. If I'm conscious, it must be minor. Yet, I need to get to a healing hut fast. I clutch my stomach. Tears are falling out of my eyes like a waterfall.

Everything around me seems blurry. The pain in my head increases by the second. I feel nauseous and greatly fatigued. I notice my eyes are barely open, yet I fight to keep them that way. I figure that losing consciousness could not be good for me right now.

I try to move my body, but it doesn't seem to respond any command I give. The only thing I can do is lie on the ground and try to focus my vision. I groan in pain, my body not coping well with the forceful impact to the ground.