book 1 - chapter 13

The bell dings, indicating the start of the match. It's the Fire Ferrets versus the Boar-Q-Pines. The commenter states that they are the longest reigning champions in the tournament, which makes me uneasy. They'll need to be on their best game to win tonight's match.

Both teams start with a strong offensive approach, bending at the enemy with all they have. As the Boar-Q-Pines's firebender sends a strong punch at Korra, she quickly evades it but lands on top of Mako, slamming into him. They both tumble down to the ground. They're pushed to zone two and Bolin quickly follows suit.

Asami winces. "That was rough. What's up with them? They were so in synch the last match."

"Not sure." I lie, my mind going back to Mako and Korra's quarrel. When Mako pops up in my head, I think about the argument we had a few moments back. Why was he so mean? Why was he so upset?

"Round One goes to the Boar-Q-Pines!" The commenter announces. Asami leans forward nervously, her attention being solely on the match. I rub my hands together and turn to face the ring. My heart rate rises, I'm really nervous about this match. I hope they pull it together.

The second round begins. Korra and Mako are blatantly off their game. They're getting hit multiple times and barely stay standing for a second. Bolin, on the other hand, is on fire. He is sending earth disks by the second, sending down his opponents. He manages to secure Round Two for the Fire Ferrets all on his own.

I sigh in relief while Asami cheers for her boyfriend's brother. "Yeah, Bolin!"

The third round is similar to the first, both teams on the offensive attack. However, the Fire Ferret's defense lacking, to say the least. They are taking hit after hit. Nonetheless, the round is declared a tie. This means that it's going to be a one-on-one battle of players that bend the same element. The referee flips a disk stating that lands on red, stating that the Fire Ferrets will choose the element that'll take on the tiebreaker.

Luckily, Bolin steps and decides he'll handle the one-on-one. Asami and I cheer for Bolin as loud as we can as he and the opposing team's earthbender are lifted into a smaller platform where the decisive match will take place.

They both position themselves and earth disks start flying as soon as the bell rings. Bolin looks determined and confident. As the Boar-Q-Pines's earthbender jumps in the air trying to hit Bolin, the Fire Ferret crouches down and rolls to the opposing side of the platform. Bolin lunges himself at his opponent and wraps his arms around him. My eyes widen. What's his tactic?

The Boar-Q-Pine frees himself from Bolin's grip and throws him in the air. Bolin takes this to his advantage and earthbends a disk at him, knocking him to the edge of the circle. Once Bolin lands safely, he earthbends two disks simultaneously and manages to throw his opponent to the drain of water, securing the match for the Fire Ferrets.

Asami and I immediately stand up and cheer at full force. Despite Korra and Mako being completely off their game tonight, Bolin didn't budge once.

As this was such a tight call, the crowd takes longer to disperse, making it harder for Asami and me to make our way to the Fire Ferret's dressing room.

"The way this crowd is moving, I won't be able to congratulate everyone," Asami says to me. "I have to be home before curfew."

"Go home." I tell her. "I'll tell Mako why you had to go, no worries."

"Thanks, Luna. You're a lifesaver." She answers while squeezing my shoulder. "Tell him I'm sorry and that I'll see him tomorrow."

"You got it." I say with a smile. Asami then proceeds to run in the opposite direction of the crowd, making her way to the back exit. Eventually, I lose sight of her among the congregation of people. I turn my attention back to trying to get to the dressing room.