book 1 - chapter 16

The uniform feels completely foreign in my body. I'm not used to wearing red. The fabric rubs differently against my skin. It's a little big on me, since Korra is taller and has wider shoulders. Other than that, it's pretty okay. I begin to stretch, seeing how my body moves in this estranged get-up. Overall, it's doable.

It also feels weird not to have Gran-Gran's flasks attached to my hip. I constantly remind myself that I'll have more than enough water at my disposal and that I'll be able to defend myself.

I breathe in deeply and proceed to step into the locker room. Korra is here, and she's pumping up the Fire Ferrets. Suddenly, the trio turns to face me.

"I feel weird." I admit, rubbing my hands together nervously.

"Looking good, ice girl." Mako smiles at me. I smile back at him, feeling my heart starting to pound against my chest.

Korra proceeds to turn to me and hug me once more. "You've got this. I have complete faith in you."

"So, I thought of something. Whenever you feel like the fire gets to be too much or that you can't block it, we'll have a safe word." Mako explains, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I nod. "Sounds good. What's the safe word?"

"I suggested Pabu but he shut me down!" Bolin calls from behind them, making me giggle.

Mako and Korra proceed to look at each other, making me furrow my eyebrows. "Just tell her, Mako." Korra pushes.

The firebender proceeds to rub his hand on the back of his neck. "I don't know if it's a good idea, but I was thinking...it could be, um, Tahana."

My heart skips a beat as I look intently at the firebender's eyes. "That's...that's perfect." I manage to say without choking up. Mako is so considerate, and so caring, and I'm really grateful that he's in my life.

"You sure you don't like Pabu better?" Bolin asks, approaching us.

"Shut up, bro." Mako hisses. "She already said she likes mine better."

"It's not a competition, guys." Korra defers. Then, she turns to face me. "I should go ahead and meet with Tenzin before he murders me. Believe in yourself, Luna. We all do."

With that, my best friend exits the room, leaving me alone with the bending brothers. I breathe in deeply and turn to face them. My breath hitches and it quickens, the reality of the situation hitting me like a blast of rocks.

Mako puts his hand on my shoulders. "You okay, ice girl?"

"Honestly," I say, locking my eyes with him. "I don't know."

"It's cool." He assures. "Don't tell anyone, but I was really nervous on my first pro-bending game ever."

I chuckle slightly, in disbelief. "You were?"

"He 100%, most definitely, was." Bolin confirms, shooting me a slight smile.

"We've got you." Mako assures.

I breathe in deeply. "Okay." I say, "Let's do this."

I step unto the platform that leads us to the ring. Once I step on it, it wobbles, startling me. I gasp and grab unto Mako's arm for dear life. He chuckles and offers me his hand, which I immediately take.

"Introducing the challengers!" The man who introduces the teams, that stands on the platform, exclaims dramatically. This causes the platform to begin moving, making me grab Mako's hand even harder. "The Future Industries Fire Ferrets!"