What Are You Doing Here?

⚠️tw mention of medications

"Babe who's at the door?" Jay shouted through the house.
"Just someone I know from a while ago!" I shouted back.
"I'm serious what are you doing here?"
"Oh what I can't just come visit?"
"I'm serious Skylar. You and I both know that if your here something bad happened to your parents." I heard footsteps behind me and turned around to see Jay.
"Who's this?"
"This is Skylar, my goddaughter. I'm trying to figure out why she's here?"
"Well, I'll give you an answer. My parents died in a car crash last night."
"Oh my god, I'm so sorry Skylar." I said giving her a hug.
"I'm very sorry for you loss as well." Jay added.
"Thank you both."
"Oh I'm sorry. This is Jay Halstead, my husband. Jay this is Skylar Alan, my goddaughter."
"Nice to meet you."
"You two. Look Sophia, I'm sorry to intrude but technically you are my legal guardian and I have nowhere else to go." I sighed and looked at Jay. He nodded at me.
"Come in, I'll show you too our extra room." I said closing the door behind her.
"Wait a minute. Are you high?"
"No I'm not." Skylar protested.
"I'm not an idiot Skylar. I used to be an addict. Give me the pills."
She sighed and reached into her bag.
"They're my pain pills. I was in the crash too. They're just really high dosed. Along with anxiety meds, and depression meds." She said pulling out two more pill bottles.
I nodded and lead her up to the spare room.
"Just try to be quite please. Our three year old son is asleep, I'll see you in the morning."
"Thank you Sophia. I'll see you in the morning." I smiled at her and closed the door so I could go talk to Jay.
"I'm sorry Jay." I said sitting next to him on the couch.
"Why are you sorry?"
"Because I don't want to put the burden of having a 16 year old girl in our house on you."
"Sophia, she's family now. You are her legal guardian. We can't change that."
"Her parents were good people. They're names were Abbie Bishop and Tyler Alan. I actually visited them last week when I went to California. They lived in San Fransisco."
"Were you guys close?"
"I guess you could say that. We met in college. Abbie and I were roommates."
He just pulled me into his side.
"I'm worried about her Jay. I fell apart when my dad died. I could never imagine losing both my parents at once."
"She'll be ok."
"I know. She's strong. I think you'll like her."
"I think I will too."

(The next morning)
Jay had left before me since he had to go into work early so I got Ben up myself and I was now in the kitchen getting him food.
"Hey, good morning Sophia." I heard Skylar say as she walked into the kitchen.
"Morning Sky. There's cereal in the cabinet if you want any."
"I'm good, thank you though."
"Coffee?" I asked holding the pot up to her before filling my travel mug.
"No thank you. I hate the taste of coffee."
"So do I. I load mine with creamer." I said with a laugh.
"I actually have a question for you."
"What's up?"
"If I give you money would you watch Ben? You don't have to I can call the babysitter, but I figured you'd like to make some money."
"Yeah of course I'll watch him."
"Thank you."
"No problem."
"Alright, well I'm gonna head to work. Both mine and Jays numbers are on the fridge. Call if you need anything. Call me first, if I don't answer call Jay. Only call Jay if it's an emergency though." She nodded as she was putting a piece of bread in the toaster.
"Have a good day at work."
"Thank you Skylar." I said walking out the door.

I walked into the firehouse and immediately searched for Gabby and Kelly. I found both of them getting coffee.
"Morning Sophia."
"Same to you. Can I talk to you guys?"
"Yeah of course."
"Everything ok?" I nodded and lead them towards the locker room.
"What did you need to talk about?" Kelly asked.
"Yeah is everything okay?" Gabby added.
I looked around to make sure nobody else was around.
"I'm pregnant."
"What!"
"That's amazing! Congratulations." They both said giving me a hug.
"Don't tell anyone please. Jay and I just found out last night. I'm only two weeks, I want to make sure everything's okay before I start telling people."
"Well congratulations. But just so you know, two kids is a lot harder than one." Gabby told me.
"Well I would give you some tips but I've only ever had two kids, so I can't help you out there." Kelly said with a laugh.
"Well I think I can manage."
"I can't wait to meet this baby."
"Neither can I." I said, giving them each one more hug before leaving the locker room. Just as I left the locker room the bells went off.
"House fire, squad 3, truck 81, ambulance 61, battalion 25, engine 51. 435 rose street."
I shared a knowing look with Kelly.
"That's moms house." I nodded.
"Come on people let's go."
We rushed onto the rigs and drove to my mothers house. I saw her and Katie watching in terror as the house burned to the ground.
"Is anyone in there?" I asked running over to them.
"No."
"Mom what happened?" Kelly asked running over to us after he told Chief there was nobody in the house.
"We got home and the house was just on fire." Katie answered.
"Mom is there anyone who you know would want to set your house on fire?"
She thought for a minute, then slowly nodded.
"Who?"
"I was selling drugs for some extra money and then when I told the guy I was done doing it he said I would regret that's decision."
"Nice mom, nice."
She just rolled her eyes. After the fire was put out we went back to the firehouse.

(Skylars Pov.)
I was sitting on the couch when I heard a knock on the door. I went to see who it was and i found two cops standing at the door.
"Hi can I help you?"
"Hi kid. Are you parents here?"
"My parents are dead." I answered.
"Wait Sophia and Jay Halstead are dead?"
"Oh no. They aren't even my parents. Sophias my god mother. I've been staying here since last night."
"Oh ok, well are either of them here?"
"No they're both at work. Sophias a firefighter at firehouse 51, and Jays a detective at the 21st station."
"Alright thanks honey." They said before walking away.
"Yeah no problem."

(Sophias Pov)
Kelly and I had been called into the chiefs office.
"Yeah what's up Chief?" I asked closing the door.
"The fire investigators ruled the fire at your mothers house an arson. I wanted to know if you two wanted to take point on the investigation."
"I would be happy to."
"Well if Kelly's.." I was cut off by a knock on the door. I saw two cops.
"Come in!" Boden yelled.
"Sophia Halstead?"
"Yes?"
"Your under arrest for arson. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. Please put your hands behind your back."
I did as I was told.
"Wait what the hells going on?" Kelly asked obviously pissed.
"Kelly stop."
"Sophia don't say anything until you get your lawyer on the phone."
I nodded.
"I'm really sorry we had to do this in front of your colleagues."
"I'm sure you are."

Of course they brought me to the 21st station.
I saw Jays eyes catch mine as they brought me to the questioning room.
"What the hells going on?" Jay asked basically getting in the officers face.
"I'm sorry detective but she's family, I can't tell you."
"Like hell you can't! Sophia don't say anything until your lawyer gets here."
They brought me into a questioning room and handcuffed me to the table.
I heard the door open but didn't look up until I saw that it was Jay.
"Hey I can't be in here long. What happened?"
"They arrested me for arson, but I didn't commit arson. I think I was framed."
"I believe you didn't do it but why do you think you were framed?"
"Because it was my mother's house."
His mood immediately changed.
"Alright, I'll see what I can do. Don't talk until your lawyer gets here."
"But I'm innocent."
"That doesn't matter."
I nodded.
"I love you, and I love the baby. Just stay strong okay."
"I will. I love you too Jay." He walked out.

Many hours later after multiple cops and detectives questioned me I heard the door open again.
It was my lawyer.
"Your free to go, they found the real guy who did it and he confessed." She announced. A cop came in and took the cuffs off my wrists. I rubbed my wrists and walked out to where Jay was waiting.
"You ready to go?"
"More than ever."
I got in his truck and we drove home.
After dinner I realized I had somewhere I needed to go.
"Hey Jay, where's your keys I need to borrow your truck."
"They're on the counter, where are you going?" I have and errand to run. I said grabbing the keys to his truck.
"Mommy! Can I come?"
"Sure. Come on. I'll be back soon, love you."
"Love you too." I picked Ben up and put him in the car seat that was on the floor of Jays truck. After buckling him in I drove to the hospital.
"Hi how can I help you?"
"Hi can you tell me what room Grace Jennings is in?"
"She's in room 765. Floor 3."
"Thank you." I picked Ben up and walked to the elevator.
After finding the room I knocked on the door.
"Come in!" I heard a voice yell.
"Oh Sophia Halstead. Hi."
"Hi Grace."
"Oh I'm sorry to be rude this is my boyfriend Tom."
"And this is my son Ben. How's your leg?"
"He's really cute, and my leg is fine thank you for asking, but if you don't mind me asking what are you doing here?"
I placed Ben on the ground and covered his ears.
"I just found out I'm pregnant. I haven't told the chief yet but I wanted to know if you would want me to ask him if you could fill in for me while I'm on maternity leave."
"You would do that?"
"Yes. Your a great firefighter."
"Thank you Sophia."
"Of course Grace."
"See you around Sophia."
"I'll see you around."
After I left the hospital I ended up going home.