Alternate Ending

(okay so in this Jay and Sophia still got married and all that, only difference is that jay didn't get suspended so they stay in chicago. you can't read everything else that happens because of it. ⚠️t.w.⚠️ death.)
(2 months after the wedding.)
After I dropped Ben and Shay off at daycare and school I drove to the firehouse.
"Morning Sophia." Gallo said walking next to me. I looked up at him for a minute.
"Really Gallo? Again with the hickeys." His tired eyes shot open.
"What!"
"Let me guess. Mackey?"
"Your an ass."
"You better hide that before Cruz finds out. Use the foundation in my locker."
"Thank you." He said before running ahead of me into the firehouse. I laughed and walked in after him. It was my turn to make breakfast so I went to do that but I was cut off by a voice.
"Sophia! Don't start that stove!" I looked up to see Cindy with three boxes of donuts.
"I love you Cindy." I said taking the boxes off of her.
"Thank you." I said before flashing her a smile.
"There's donuts!" Cindy yelled.
Almost everyone came into to the kitchen and rec area to come get donuts.
"Thank you Cindy." Everyone said.
Before everyone could enjoy their donuts the bells went off.
"House fire, truck 81, engine 51, squad 3, ambulance 61, battalion 25."
"Duty calls. Sorry Cindy."
We made our way to the rigs and drove to the scene.
"Alright, I want Gallo and Kidd with my upstairs."
"Cruz, Capp with me. We're gonna search the basement and bottom floor." Kelly said.
I got my gear on and lead Gallo and Stella up.
"Fire department! Call out!"
"Fire Department!"
"Help!" We heard a voice.
"The bottom half of the buildings clear but everyone needs to get out! This buildings about to fall to the ground." Kelly's voice came through the radio.
"Listen to me, you two get out now! I'm gonna get the victim out!"
"We're not leaving!"
"That's an order! Go!"
They both hesitated for a minute.
"Go i'll be fine!"
They both nodded and left, while I went to look for the victim.
"Mouch, can you get a ladder to the north second story window?" I got a little kid." I said into my radio once I saw a young girl.
"Yeah, I got it Halstead."
I went over to the girl.
"Hey honey how old are you?"
"I'm 12."
"Alright come with me." She nodded and followed me to the window. I broke the glass and handed her to Mouch.
"Come on Halstead."
"No, I saw someone else. I'll be alright."
"Be quick Lieutenant."
"I will." I went back into where I saw the girl but I didn't make it far before the building collapsed on me. Before I knew it everything went black.

(Kelly's Pov)
I watched the building collapse on itself.
"Chief! Sophias still in there!" Mouch yelled from the ladder.
"Sophia report!" Boden said into his radio.
Nothing.
"Lieutenant are you there!"
Again nothing.
"Chief let us go in, we can get to her."
"Sophia report!"
Nothing.
"Go."
"Cruz, Capp, Gallo with me."
We made our way upstairs to where she was.
"Sophia!"
"Lieutenant call out!"
"I found her! She's alive!" Gallo yelled.
I ran over to where he was kneeling down. I saw Sophia piled under rubble. Thankfully her eyes were still open.
"Hey we're gonna get you out of here." I told her.
"No, save yourself. This building can come down again at any minute."
"We're not leaving you." Gallo told her.
"I need airbags and extra hands up here now!" I said into my radio.
"Kelly I can't feel my legs." She said with tears in her eyes.
"Hey your gonna be okay." Gallo said trying to comfort her.
"Tell my kids and Jay I love them."
"Hey don't talk like that." Cruz said.
"Gallo, promise me something."
"Anything."
"Promise me, you won't run from your feelings. Promise me that you will stay with Gianna." She said.
Cruz shot him a look and Sophia lightly laughed.
"I promise."
Her eyes started to droop.
"Hey keep your eyes open!" I said just as Stella, Otis, and Hermann walked up the stairs with air bags.
"Sophia keep your eyes open were gonna get you out of here." I looked over to her but it was too late. Her eyes were closed.
"She's still alive!" Gallo told me.
"Alright, we need to get her out of here now!"
We used the air bags to get the cement off her legs.
"Pull her out."
Gallo and Stella pulled her out from underneath the cement.
I picked her up and brought her out to Brett and Gianna.
"How is she?" Boden asked coming out.
"Not great. Before she fell unconscious she told me she couldn't feel her legs." He sighed.
After I placed her on the stretcher we took her gear off and got her hooked up to the leads. Brett intubated her.
"She's got bad head trauma and her nerves aren't working. She's gonna need surgery, but there's a big chance if she survives surgery then she's gonna be paralyzed." Brett explained before we both got in the rigs. Mackey got in the front.
"Give them an escort!" Boden yelled.
I grabbed Sophias hand.
"She's gonna be alright, right Brett?"
"I hope so."
__
"Sophia Halstead. Female, 32 years old. Head trauma, nerve damage. Both her legs are crushed. She's got a few broken ribs. Intubated in the field." Brett explained to Connor who met us at the hospital bay.
"Alright, we got her."
Brett nodded with tears in her eyes.
The rest of 51 piled in followed by Jay.
"How is she?"
"She's not good Jay."
"Do I have to get Ben and Shay?"
"I would, but I don't think you should be the one to pick them up. Stella's on the list of people allowed to pick them up I'll send her to get them." Jay nodded.

Hours later after Stella picked up Ben and Shay, Connor came into the waiting room.
Jay and I got up and went over to him.
"Is she alright?" Jay asked. The look on his face didn't look too promising.
"I'm sorry, we did everything we could. She bled out on the table."
My mouth fell open. Will turned to Jay and pulled him into a hug. I saw the tears on his eyes.
I turned to 51, my mom, and Sophias kids who were all waiting for an answer.
"She didn't make it." I said shaking my head no. I saw many people get teary including my mother who just pulled Ben and Shay into a tight hug.
__
(The next day; Jays Pov.)
So today I had to explain to Ben and Shay why their mom wasn't gonna be coming home.
"Ben, Shay come downstairs!"
"Is mom home?" When Ben asked that broke my heart. Shay came down the stairs after him.
They both sat at the kitchen island.
"So you both know your mom hasn't been home since yesterday morning." I said and they  both nodded.
"Well she's not coming home."
"Is mommy mad at us?" Shay asked in a small voice.
"No, no. Your mom got into an accident and she passed away."
Ben immediately knew what I meant. Shay looked more confused.
"Shay, your mom died." She definitely knew what that meant.
I saw tears come down both of their faces. Shay crawled across the island and gave me a hug while Ben jumped off the island and came over to give me a hug.
"I miss Mom."
"I know I miss her too Ben. Everything will be okay I promise. She'll be watching over us."

(1 week later; day of the funeral.)
(Jays Pov)
"Come on kids." I yelled up the stairs after straightening my suit out. Shay came down the stairs in black dress followed by Ben in a suit.
"Come on." I lead them out to my truck. As I was putting Shay into her car seat I saw her car parked in the driveway, right where it was when she left that morning.
I sighed and got in my truck to drive to the firehouse.

When I got there there were fire trucks lined up on both sides with a flag hanging on the ladders. Everyone from 51 was in their formal uniforms, lined up. I lead Shay and Ben to the front where their was a picture of their mom. My eyes caught Gabby and Matt along the firefighters.
"Arms!" They raised their arms to salute her one last time.
I felt tears come down my eyes.
"Here you go." Someone said handing me a folded flag.
I nodded and took it.
Kelly came to the front to say a few words. He took his hat off.
"What can I say about Sophia? Too much. She was a great firefighter and a great wife, and an even better mother. But above all that she was an amazing sister. I loved her so much. She was always their for me when nobody else was. She was their when I suffered with drugs, and it pains me that I couldn't be their when she was dealing with drugs. The only silver lining to everything is that she's in a better place. She's with our dad and with Leslie Shay. Her best friend. I'm proud to be able to say she was my sister. 51 isn't gonna be the same without her, so we have something dedicated to her." He said motioning for Casey to move a red piece of cloth off 81.
I walked over to see what it said.

Lieutenant Sophia Halstead
1988-2020

I smiled a teary eyed smile just as the fire commissioner rang the bell, I watched the paul bearers carry her casket into a hearse.
I missed her so much but I know she's in a better place.
__
(17 years later; Shays pov)
I walked into the firehouse, that I would be working in. I had just graduated from the fire academy two weeks ago so I could start working at firehouse 34. I wasn't aloud to work at 51 yet.
I was approached by someone who I knew as the chief.
"Are you the new firefighter?" I nodded.
"I'm Chief Chase Riley."
"Shay Halstead."
"Nice to meet you Shay. You look so familiar."
"Yeah, I get told I look like my mom a lot." I said with a smile.
"Who's your mom?"
"Sophia Halstead, or you might know her as Sophia Severide."
"No way! Her and I were friends when she used to work here. Tell her I said hi!"
"I can't do that. She died 17 years ago when I was 4."
"Oh, I'm sorry. She was a great person."
"Yeah well I didn't know her that well."

(Hours later.)
On my way home I stopped at Ben's house.
"Hey Shay what's up?" He asked when he knocked on the door.
"Are you okay?" He asked noticing my teary eyes.
"I miss mom." He pulled me into a hug.
"I miss her too."
"At least you got to know her. You had seven years with her, I only had four."
"Come in, I'll call dad and tell him to come over and we can tell you all about her." I nodded and followed him in. I really missed her, but it would be nice to know more about her.
__

The End
__________________
Okay this made me really sad to write so i'm sorry to everyone who read it.