I'm Back

(tw; mentions of miscarriage and abuse)
It's been a year. A year since my best friend died. A year since I broke up with the love of my life. A year of gruesome rehab. A year since I left Chicago. But I'm back and I'm clean.
I decided I should tell Shay, so I drove to the cemetery with a bouquet of flowers.
"Hey Shay. I miss you like hell. I'm clean now. I know you would be proud of me so I came and told you first." I sat and talked to her for a little bit before leaving.

I drove to the 21st district.
"Hey Trudy!" I waved at the lady sitting at the front desk.
"Am I seeing straight? Sophia Severide is that you?"
"Yes it is in the flesh."
I laughed and gave her a hug.
"How did rehab go?"
"It went great I'm clean. It will be 6 months tomorrow."
"Good for you Sophia! I'm proud of you."
"Thank you Trudy! I really appreciate it. Is Jay here?"
"No actually today is his day off."
"Thanks Trudy."
"Your welcome."

I drove to Jays apartment and knocked on the door.
He opened the door not even a minute later.
"Sophia?"
"Hey."
"What are you doing here?"
"I'm clean."
"I'm proud of you Sophia. But what are you doing here I thought you weren't coming back."
"I missed.."
I was cut off by a voice that sounded like Erin.
"Hey babe who's at the door."
"It's Sophia."
"She's back?"
"Yeah."
Erin walked up to the door.
"Hey Sophia. Nice to see you again."
"You too Erin."
She walked back into the apartment.
"Sorry what were you saying Sophia?"
"I was just saying that I missed Chicago."
"Oh. Wait is that a black eye? He reached up touching my eye.
"It's nothing." I said lying
Then he saw my neck and my shoulders.
"Are those bruises? Sophia don't lie to me. What's going on?"
"I went to Vegas for rehab. I met a guy named Jason after I got out of rehab. We started dating and he was awesome at first but then he started drinking and then the drinking turned into hitting. And he would hit me hard. In the 6 months that I've known him he's given me 4 black eyes, broken my nose twice, and broke 3 of my ribs. One night we went out and he got really drunk and he told me that if I didn't marry him he would kill me, and I believed him so we got eloped. A week ago when he was really drunk I got him to sign the divorce papers. Then 3 days ago I started driving back to Chicago, praying and hoping that he wouldn't find me."
"Oh my god Sophia."
"Save me the sob story. I know."
"You need to go to the doctor."
"I will later."
"Promise me that."
"I promise. I have to actually talk to you about something."
"What's up?"
"Another reason I left was because I was pregnant." I saw his face change to a look of confusion and anger.
"I lost the baby, I had a miscarriage."
Instead of mad he looked honestly kinda sad.
"I didn't tell you because if I told you I would have stayed. I was planning on telling you when I got to rehab but by that time I lost the baby. I felt like it was my fault, and I thought if I called you and told you that you would blame me like I blamed myself. And you have the right to be angry that I didn't tell you, I mean it was your child."
He stayed quiet for a minute.
"You should have called me, nobody should have to go through the pain of losing a baby by themselves."
"I'm sorry I didn't tell you." He didn't say anything he just pulled me into a hug.
Now I better get going. 51 is going to be pissed that I came and saw you first."
"Go ahead get going. Hey how long are you staying in town?"
"I'm back for good Jay."
I said walking down the hallway.

I parked my car out in front of 51.
"It's good to be home."
I walked into the firehouse and didn't see anyone but I did see the side of the ambulance that read
                     Leslie Elizabeth Shay
                               1978-2014
I smiled at that.
I saw Connie.
"As much as you annoy me Severide it's good to have you back."
"Thank you Connie. Where is everyone?"
"Conference room getting morning assignments. Come with me."
I followed Connie and she knocked on the door
I heard her say to Boden "Chief there's someone here your going to want to see."
"Connie can it wait?"
"No Chief it can't."
"Ok send them in."
"Go ahead."
"Thanks Connie."
I walked in.
"Hey guys long time no see."
"Hey Severide."
"Sophia!"
"Nice seeing you again."
"Good your back I've missed you."
They all came over and gave me a hug except for a girl with blonde hair standing in the back.
"Alright everyone settle down. Sophia it is good to have you back. I want you to meet our new paramedic, Sylvie Brett. Sylvie this is one of our old firefighters Sophia Severide, who I hope is coming back."
I nodded.
I heard Kelly ask "Sophia what happened to your eye and there's bruises on your shoulder and neck."
I told them the same thing that I told Jay and got the same response.
That's when the bells went off.
"House fire. Truck 81, engine 51, squad 3, ambo 61, battalion 25."
They all ran towards the rigs. Gabby ran by me
"Good to have my best friend working with me again."
"If Chief allows it. Hey I like what you guys did with 61."
"Thanks." She smiled at me and drove away.

I waited for them to get back I checked the time and it had been an hour. 20 minutes later they all pulled in.
"There's pizza on the counters if you guys want any."
"Severide you are the best." Otis said patting me on the shoulder.
"I am aren't I?"
Boden walked in.
"Hey Chief can I talk to you in your office?"
"Yeah of course come on."
I followed him into his office.
"What's up?"
"You said if I ever came back I could have my spot on truck back. Is that still on the table?"
"Of course it is your a great firefighter. How long have you been clean?"
"6 months."
"Ok I believe you but you still need to take a drug test."
"I'm one step ahead of you I took one this morning I'll have the results by the end of the day."
"Ok you can have your locker back then. It's good to have you back Sophia."
"It's good to be back Chief."
I smiled and walked out to my locker to put my stuff back in it.
As I was putting my stuff away Kelly walked in.
"Hey Soph."
"Hey Kelly, I was actually meaning to ask you if I could stay with you until I can find an apartment."
"Yeah of course you can. Do mom and dad know your in town?"
"They never knew I left."
"Oh ok, well make yourself at home." He handed me his house key and I put it in the pocket of my jeans.
"Thanks Kelly."
"No problem. Just glad your back, I missed seeing your ugly face around the firehouse."
"Likewise."
I finished putting my stuff in my locker and drove to Kelly's apartment.
"It's good to be back."