Other Alternate Ending

So I kinda forgot to post this when I finished the story in February so here it is. Okay so this ones gonna be kinda long. In this Shay is only a year old. Ben is only four. Sophia and Jay are still divorced but Sophia never got with Scott.  Also Sophia didn't get suspended yet. Gabby left for Puerto Rico without Matt and they don't have kids. Also Otis is dead. Stella and Kelly don't have kids either. The paramedic is Foster.
Warnings- there is mentions of custody battles, depression, overdosing, and drugs. This is going to be a sad chapter, so I'm sorry. Enjoy!
______________________________
I heard a knock on my door and I stopped what I was doing to go answer it. When I opened the door I saw Jay.
"What's up?"
"I came to get the kids."
"Shoot! I forgot it was your week, I'm sorry!"
"No your good."
"Come in, I was just making them breakfast."
He nodded and stood in the doorway as I went upstairs to get them. Ben ran down the stairs and I followed behind him with Shay in my arms.
"Dad!" He yelled giving him a hug. I smiled before handing Shay to Jay.
I followed them out to the truck.
"Here Ben." I said handing him his backpack.
I handed Jay the diaper bag, along with Shay's clothes and toys.
"I'll see you this weekend." Jay said.
"Bye." I waved to Ben as Jay pulled out of the driveway.
I walked into the kitchen and threw the pancake batter into the garbage. I had to get to work soon anyway.

I drove to the firehouse and when I walked in it was oddly quiet. I sat next to Gallo.
"Why is everyone so quiet?" I asked.
"Boden's on leave. There's a filler chief."
"Oh okay."
Someone walked out.
"So who's in charge here?" The person asked. I noticed it was a female.
I raised my hand and so did Kelly, Matt, and Hermann.
"Okay perfect I have four people put down."
"Lieutenant Severide?"
Kelly and I both raised our hands.
"There's two?"
I nodded.
"I'm Sophia. That's Kelly." I clarified.
She nodded.
"Alright. Lieutenant Hermann?" He raised his hand.
"Perfect. Captain Casey." Matt raised his hand.
"Alright now that we got that out of the way I'm Chief Armstrong. I'm gonna be filling in for Chief Boden for the next week. Alright! Well if you need me I'll be in my office!"
Right before she walked away the bells rang.
"House fire. Truck 81. Squad 3. Engine 51. Ambulance 61. Battalion 25."
We rushed out to the rigs and drove to the scene.
As soon as I got out of the rig a women ran over to me.
"Please help me! My kids are in their!"
"Okay how old are they?"
"My sons 15 and my daughter is 9!"
"Okay we're gonna get them out. Go over to the medics okay?" She nodded.
"Chief this buildings not stable. I'll take Stella and Gallo with me to get the kids but nobody else should go in."
"Okay be quick in their Lieutenant." I nodded and got my gear on along with Gallo and Stella. We quickly made our way upstairs.
"Get out of there now! Lieutenant get you and your men out this buildings about to collapse!" I heard from the chief through the radio.
"I'm not leaving if your not." Blake stated.
"Neither am I." Stella added.
"Chief I'm sorry but we gotta get these kids out."
I turned my radio off and we broke through the door to see the two kids huddled together.
"I'm gonna need a ladder to the east second story window." I heard Stella say through her radio. I carefully made my way over to the kids.
"Hey you guys are gonna be okay."
Gallo broke the glass of the window just as we heard the stairs fall down. I kneeled down next to the kids to protect them from falling debris.
"I really need that ladder chief." I said turning my radio back on.
"We're getting it up there now Severide."
"What are your names?" I asked distracting them.
"I'm Nico. This is Peyton."
"I'm Sophia. You guys are gonna be okay. Your mom is waiting out there for you now." They nodded.
"Lieutenant." I looked up to see the ladder.
"Come on let's get out of here."
We helped them down and then engine put out the fire.

We drove back to the firehouse.
"Lieutenant?" I saw Emily walk up to me.
"Yeah what's up?"
"Chief wants you in her office."
"Alright thank you."
"No problem." I walked over to the office.
"You wanted to see me Chief?"
"Take a seat."
I nodded and sat in front of her.
"You disobeyed direct orders today, and I don't know how Chief Boden ran this place but I won't tolerate that. I called the commissioner. I'm sorry Sophia but your suspended without pay until further notice."
"But I saved those two kids because I disobeyed your orders!"
"Yes, but you put you and two other firefighters lives on the line!"
I stayed silent.
"Get what you need out of your locker and then leave. There's a floater coming to fill in your spot on truck until you get back." I nodded.

(1 week later)
I knocked on Jays apartment door. It didn't take long for him to answer.
"The kids ready?" He nodded and went to get them. He handed Shay to me and I grabbed Bens hand after I put the diaper bag on my shoulder.
"Everything okay?"
"Yeah.. I um I'm fine." I answered.
"Alright well I'll call you later to say goodnight to the kids." I nodded and took the kids out to my car. It was snowing and starting to get dark so I wanted to get home before the weather got worse. I drove over a bridge but I realized that I had lost control. I realized that I drove right onto black ice. I felt the car start to spin. I looked behind me to see if the kids were okay. I felt an impact on the passengers side. Someone else drove into the black ice and hit my car. Once we stopped moving I looked behind my seat to see that Ben and Shay were okay, thank God. I also was okay. I unbuckled my seatbelt so I could check on the other driver but I realized that my car was pressed up against the bridge and the passenger side had the other wrecked car pressed up against it. I sighed and grabbed my phone to call 911.
"911, what's your emergency?"
"Hi, I slid onto black ice and crashed into the side of the bridge on Laurel street. Another car slid right into me and slammed into my car. I'm trapped. I can't get out."
"Alright. I'm sending a firehouse your way now. Are you or anybody else injured?"
"My kids and I are fine but I'm not sure about the other driver."
"Alright just stay with me."
"I'm a firefighter myself. I have to help in some way or form." I said before hanging up the phone. I looked back at Ben and Shay sleeping in their car seats. I quickly covered them under the blanket that was on the floor. I kicked at the the front windshield until it shattered. Once I climbed out of the car I made sure I had no injuries and I went over to the other driver. I looked through the window to see that she was passed out. I heard sirens in the distance and soon enough the familiar rigs of 51 came into view. Kelly ran over to me as soon as he saw me.
"I'm fine. We just have to get my kids and the other driver out."
"Are you sure.." I cut him off.
"I'm fine."
"Alright. Squad with me!" He said before going over to my car. I watched truck work at the other driver. I felt a blanket being placed on my shoulders. I looked behind me to see Chief Armstrong.
"Come on. You gotta get checked out." I nodded and went over to 61.
I wasn't paying attention to anything until Kelly and Stella brought over my kids wrapped in blankets.
I grabbed them and held them tightly.
"You have a couple broken ribs. We have to get you to med." I nodded.

It felt like I was waiting forever for a doctor to come in. I heard a knock and I looked up to see Dr. Charles.
"Your a psychologist. I don't need a psychologist."
"I think you might, and so does Jay."
I gave him a confused look.
"You lost your job. You just went through a messy divorce. You've lost the people you love. Your dad, Otis, Gabby, Shay. You've struggled with addiction before. I think your depressed."
"Are you trying to say I crashed my car on purpose?"
"Did you?"
"Just because I want to die, doesn't mean I want my kids to die! I would never do that with my children in the car!"
"Look Sophia. I wanna talk to you more about this but Jay needs to talk to you." He walked out of the room and Jay walked in.
"Sophia."
"What?"
"I just got off the phone with my lawyer and the judge. They've granted me temporary custody of Ben and Shay."
My mouth fell open.
"Are you serious!"
He slowly nodded.
"I'm taking you to court. I will get custody of my children back!"
"I'm sorry Sophia."
"Sure you are."

(2 weeks later.)
Today is the hearing. Today the judge is gonna decide if they will give us join custody of if Jay is gonna have full custody. I had been placed on suicide watch for the last two weeks and since everything was good Dr. Charles was gonna take me off of it today. Jay didn't know anything about it. Nobody did. I sighed and ran my hands down my clothes. I walked out to my car and drove to the courthouse.
I walked in to see Jay sitting on one side with his lawyer. I sat down next to my lawyer. Stella and Kelly were here to talk on my behalf while Jay had Hailey and Will. We watched the judge walk up to the desk and sit down.
"Alright so we're deciding for the custody of Benjamin and Shay Halstead."
After saying what needed to be said the judge brought me to the front of the room.
"Your a firefighter correct?"
"Yes your honor."
"Your recently lost your job, what three weeks ago. Right?"
"I was suspended."
"Why?"
"I disobeyed a direct order while saving two young children."
"I see. You also crashed your car two weeks ago, correct?" I nodded.
"I slid on black ice. Nobody was badly injured."
"That's all I needed to know. Thank you."
After I sat back down at the desk with my lawyer she called Jay up. He said what needed to be said and why he wanted full custody. Now we were waiting for her to decide.
"I hereby grant full custody of both children to Jay Halstead."
I felt the tears immediately come down my face. I just lost both of my children.

(1 week later. Stella's Pov.)
Sophia is supposed to be coming back to work today so it's weird that she's so late. She already missed a call. I walked over to Kelly.
"Hey have you heard from Sophia lately? She doesn't answer my texts and every time I call her it goes straight to voicemail."
"No. I haven't heard from her. She's also not answering my stuff."
"I'm gonna swing by her house after shift." I told him.
"Alright let me know how it goes." I nodded.

After shift I went to Sophia's house. I knocked on the door and I was now waiting for her to answer. I knew she was home because her new car was sitting in the driveway.
When she opened the door I saw her in sweatpants, a sweatshirt and her hair was in a messy ponytail.
"Oh hey Stella!" She said with amusement in her voice.
"Are you high?"
"And drunk. It's a thrill really."
"Are you serious right now! You were six years clean!"
"I don't care."
"Obviously. How many pills did you take?"
"I lost count a while ago."
"Your an idiot! This could kill you!"
"If I die, well then I die. It's not that big of a deal." She said shrugging her shoulders.
"Yes it is a big deal Sophia!"
"You know what I don't like your vibes. How about you leave or I call the cops." She said slamming the door in my face.

(3 hours later.)
While Kelly and I were eating dinner I brought Sophia up.
"Kelly your sister isn't doing good."
"Why?"
"When I got there she was high off her ass. Not to mention drunk. She said that if she dies, well then she dies. She doesn't care anymore."
He quickly got up from the table.
"Where are you going!"
"I'm going to talk some sense into her dumbass."
"I'm coming." I said grabbing my coat. It didn't take long to get there but when we did we heard a dog barking.
"Why is Maya barking like that?" I asked.
"I don't know." Kelly said with an uneasy look in his eyes.
We knocked at least 20 times and Sophia never answered so Kelly used his key to get into the house.
"Sophia!" I yelled.
"I'll go upstairs." Kelly said I nodded and kept walking. Maya ran over to me and rubbed against my leg.
"What's wrong girl?" She whined and lead me over to wear I saw Sophia laying lifeless on the ground.
"Kelly!" I yelled as loud as I could.
I heard him run down the stairs.
"What?" He said before coming into view.
"Call an ambulance!" His eyes widened when he saw her but he shook his head and went in the other room to call. I checked her to see if she still had a pulse and thankfully she did.
"You gotta stay with me Sophia." I said with tears in my eyes.

It didn't take long for the ambulance to get here but it felt like forever on the way to Med. Ethan met us at the ambulance bay and took her away. Kelly stayed with her while I called Jay. He was in the area and he didn't take long to get here. He rushed into the waiting room just as Ethan came out with a crying Kelly and Dr. Charles.
"How is she?"
"She didn't make it. She was too far gone before she got here. We did everything we could. I'm sorry."
Kelly turned to me and I gave him a hug.
"This is your fault. You took her kids away from her! You cheated on her!" Kelly said to Jay after he pulled away from the hug.
"Hey this is nobody's fault! She was depressed and suicidal!" Dr. Charles said making them simmer down.
"I was gonna tell her I still loved her, after I got home from work." Jay said sinking into the chair.
"Hey! She knew you loved her. Believe me she knew." I reassured him.

(20 years later. Shays Pov.)
I flew out to Puerto Rico to help rescue teams. Right now I was looking for where I needed to go. I walked over to someone.
"Excuse me?"
"How can I help you?" He asked turning around with a smile on his face.
"I'm looking for Gabby and Antonio Dawson's unit, could you show me where it is?"
"Your in the right place actually. I'm Antonio. What's your name so I can check you off on the list of volunteers."
"Shay Halstead."
He looked up at me.
"Is your dad Jay Halstead?"
I nodded.
"No way! I used to work with him. He's a good guy!"
"Yeah, I've heard about you. Him and my stepmom talk a lot about the intelligence unit. We moved when I was a year old, so I never met any of them but I've heard good things."
"Who's your stepmom?"
"Erin Lindsay."
"So you moved to New York?"
I nodded my head.
"It's where I was raised."
"We'll come with me. I'll take you to meet Gabby." I nodded and followed him into a tent.
"Gabby your never gonna believe who this is." Antonio said with a smile on his face.
"Who?"
"Shay Halstead. She's Jays daughter."
"I didn't know that he had another kid. Is your mom Sophia?" I nodded.
"Tell her hi for me. I used to work with her."
"I can't do that."
"Cause she was a deadbeat addict who overdosed when I was a year old."
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be. I never knew her."
"She was a great person, and a great friend, she was also a great mother. She wasn't a deadbeat."
"Yeah well."
"You know you look just like her."
"I get that a lot."
"I can tell you about her if you want."
"You can. But I can't guarantee that I'll listen."
"It's worth a try." She said with a smile.