Please Stay With Me

⚠️T.W⚠️ mentions of drugs and overdoses. This chapter is based off of "real never waits"
———————————————————————
It was a normal day at 51. Shay was coming back to work today, it's been a week since she collapsed and I had been filling in for her. I was still taking the medication and as far as I knew nobody knew what was really going on.
I was getting coffee when I saw Shay come in.
"Hey look who's back!"
I walked over to her and gave her a hug after giving her my coffee.
Not even a minute later Cruz came out and told us Chief wanted all of us in the conference room.
We all walked in and took a seat.
"I haven't told you guys yet but today Donna and I are getting married."
There was a bunch of whoos heard.
"I'm taking 51 out of service until after the wedding."
"Got it Chief."
"Your all dismissed."

We all walked back out into the commons room.
"Hey what's this?"
I heard Mouch say with a paper in his hand.
Gabby took it off him.
"Looks like a to-do list."
She started reading the things off the  list.
"Call caterer, get cake, book venue, book musicians, get folding chairs, get suit, find a minister. The only thing he crossed off is get suit."
"I have an idea." Hermann said
"Which is?"
"Severide and Shay know how to bake. Dawson and Cruz are the best cooks in the firehouse. Peter can get certified. I know some good musicians and a good place to get folding chairs. We can have the wedding at 51 and the reception at Molly's."
"I like that idea a lot."
"Even better why don't we surprise Chief."
"Why not."
"Well let's get started then. Casey,Severide, and I will distract Chief, get the band, and the chairs. Otis go with Tony and Peter to set up Molly's. Cruz and Dawson start cooking the food for the wedding. Mouch and Capp call Cindy and you guys can get the firehouse ready. Last but not least Shay and Sophia will be in charge of the cake." Everyone nodded and waited for Hermann to say something else. "What is everyone standing there for move, get to work!"
Everyone scrambled out of the fire house and all that was left was me and Shay.
"You start on the cake I'll start on the frosting."
"Everyone likes vanilla right?"
"Right." I laughed when I looked over at shay and saw she had flour on her nose.
"Shay."
"Yeah?"
"There's flour on your noise."
"That's alright." She laughed
"You know I'm so happy me and you became best friends."
"Me too Severide."
"So how are things with the medication?"
"Not good. I'm trying to stop taking them but it's not working."
"I believe you can do it Sophia. I believe in you."
"Thank you Leslie Shay."
About 10 minutes later I finished the frosting just as Shay was putting the cakes in the oven.
An hour later every cake was done and ready to be frosted.
"You take the left and I'll take the right."
"Got it."
In a matter of 15 minutes the cake was done.
"It's missing something."
Shay went to the fridge and took out the strawberries and blueberries and placed them on the cake.
"Beautiful. Good job Shay."
We high fived and put the cake in the fridge.

4 hours later it was time to get ready for the wedding.
I fixed my hair and went to stand in front of the firehouse after making sure Donna was ready.
I saw Hermann pull up with Boden in the passenger seat.
I heard Hermann say "Did you really think you could do this without 51?"
"Hurry up chief she ain't waiting forever." Cruz screamed.
Chief Boden walked up to the front next to Peter.
"You certified to do this?"
"As of this morning, yes."
The guys with the bagpipes started walking down the isle.
Then came Donna.
Chiefs eyes lit up.
They said there vows and got married.
"We are gonna have the reception later. But as of now I am putting 51 back into service." Chief told us.

Everything was back to normal.
"Structure Fire. Engine 51, truck 81, squad 3, ambulance 61. Battalion 25."
"Let's go."

We all pulled up to the scene and got out and put our gear on.
"Probably just a rubbish fire but let's keep it in check. Truck 81 recon, knock it out with some silver bullets. Squad search and rescue."
"Alright you heard him."
When I was walking up to the fire I heard Shay say "Stay safe in there Sophia, you too Kelly." He smiled at her and I said "Stay safe out here Shay."
We went into the fire.
"Got a victim on the first floor fell down the stairs. Possible spinal injury." I heard Casey say
Next thing I heard was static through my radio.
"What the hell. Why can't I hear anyone."
I yelled over to Hermann
"Is your radio working?"
He shook his head no.
I was pushed to the wall by a huge impact. An explosion.

(Chief Bodens pov)
I was knocked down to the ground with concrete and glass falling everywhere. I saw the smoke and nobody from 51 was responding. This was not good.
I looked up at the sight in front of my eyes.
"Oh god."
"Report!"
"Severide report!"
"Casey report!"
"Truck 81, squad 3 report!"
"Battalion 25 to main! Mayday! Mayday emergency!"
"51 report!"

(Sophias pov)
I got up and started coughing.
"Hermann are you ok?"
"I'm good you ok?"
"Yeah."
I checked my radio and there was still static.
All of a sudden Gabby's voice rang through my radio.
"Firefighter down! Firefighter down! I need help on the 1st floor."
"Shay."
I rushed down the stairs to see Kelly and Gabby over Shays body doing compressions.
I ran over and knelt down next to her the rest of 51 came down the stairs
"Come on Shay, please stay with me. Is there anything I can do to help?"
"Go tell Boden what's going on. And get more ambulances. And get this guy out of here."
I nodded and helped Otis carry the victim out.
Chief ran up to me.
"Are you guys ok?"
"Yeah we're fine but a beam crashed down on Shay she's losing a lot of blood and we need more ambulances." I said running back in with gauze to help with Shay.
"Here Gabby."
Gabby wrapped the gauze around her head while Kelly did compressions.
"Sophia check her pulse."
I checked it. Nothing
"No pulse."
"No no no, Shay come on stay with me."
"Shay please."
Casey came running in with two more paramedics. We helped get Shay on a gurney and Kelly got in the ambulance with them.
"Give them an escort."
We all got in our rigs and turned on the sirens.

We walked into med and saw Kelly standing in the waiting room.
"How is she?"
"She- She didn't make it. She lost too much blood at the scene." He had tears in his eyes
"No."
I broke down in the hospital she was my best friend and now she's gone.

An hour later I went home and I knew I was gonna regret this decision but it didn't matter to me. I called Kelly and he picked up right away.
"Hello?"
"Kelly I just wanted to call and tell you I love you. Tell mom and dad I love them too. Goodbye Kelly." I hung up
Afterwards I called Jay after two rings I heard his voice.
"Hey I was meaning to call you."
"Jay I want you to know your the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm so so sorry."
"Sophia are you ok?"
"No. Goodbye Jay." I hung up the phone and grabbed the pill bottle from my bag. I walked into my bathroom and locked the door.

(Jays Pov.)
That was weird.
Something was wrong.
I called Kelly.
"Hello?"
"Did you just get a weird call from Sophia where she was saying goodbye?"
"Yeah I did."
"Something doesn't feel right I'm gonna go to her apartment."
"I'll meet you there."

I drove to Sophia's apartment building and saw Kelly's car parked outside.
We walked up to her apartment together.
The door was slightly open, so I grabbed my gun out of my waistband.
Me and Kelly checked every room in the house until we got to bathroom. It was locked.
"Sophia."
"Sophia."
I shoulder barged the door open and saw Sophia laying lifeless on the ground with a pill bottle in her hand and a beer bottle next to her.
"Kelly there's Narcan in my truck, I had a feeling this would happen, go get it." I threw my keys over to him and lay Sophia on her back. Kelly came running back in and handed me the narcan. I used it on her hoping I wasn't too late. After she still wasn't breathing I started compressions on her.
"Come on Sophia, come on." I heard her take a huge breath and her eyes shot open.
"Thank god."
"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." She sobbed
I pulled her into a hug and kissed her on the cheek.
"Everything is going to be ok. We are gonna figure this out I promise."