Forever Family

(2 weeks later)
"You ready to go Lilly?" I asked her.
She nodded. Today was the last day that Lilly would be staying with me. Thankfully, the family I thought would adopt her, is adopting her.
I drove to a diner that was close by, where the family and her social worker were. I walked into the diner where Gabby, Matt, Louie, and Sage were sitting with Julie. Gabby and Matt have been looking to adopt another child for a while now and both of them have spent time with Lilly, and they both love her.
"Look Lilly there's Julie!" Lilly ran over to her.
Julie enveloped her in a hug.
I lead her over to the table.
"You remember Gabby and Matt?" Lilly nodded.
"Your gonna go and live with them." She smiled at them.
Julie pulled out papers.
"Alright so the foster mom, which would be Sophia you sign here." She pointed to a line where I signed my name.
"Alright, now the adoptive parents, Matt and Gabby sign here." After both of them signed there and a couple more places, it was time for them to take her home.
"Alright, Lilly my friends are gonna take you home okay?" I asked before putting her into the car seat.
She nodded.
I closed the door and waved as Matt drove away.
"Thank you for taking such good care of her." Julie said grabbing my attention.
"It really wasn't a problem."
"You know, when I talked to her yesterday she told me that you were the best foster mom she can remember having." I smiled.
"She's a great kid, it was easy."
"Well I'll see you around."
"You too."
I smiled before getting into my car.

Before pulling out I texted Jay.
Sophia: Hey, I'm on my way to pick up the kids.
Jay: Alright, i'll see you soon
Sophia: See you soon.
I put my phone away and pulled out of the parking lot of the diner. It was starting to get dark out, and I wanted to get to Jays apartment before it actually did get dark.

It was 5:30 when I pulled out of the diner parking lot, so there was rush hour traffic.
I was stopped at a red light, and when it turned green I went to turn but I heard screeching brakes and then felt a sudden impact. My car skidded across the road and flipped along the way. Before I could realize what happened my whole world went black.

(ten minutes later; kelly's pov)
I was sitting on the couch watching a movie with Stella and the kids when my phone started ringing. I saw it was Jay, so I got up from the couch and answered the phone.
"Hey what's up?" I said answering.
"Have you talked to Sophia?"
"Not lately why?"
"Well she texted me half an hour ago that she was on her way to get Ben and Shay, but she only lives five minutes away. She should have been here by now." He explained to me.
"Have you tried calling her?"
"I called her four times, and texted her twice. Kelly she's never late."
"Alright, hold on I'll call you right back. I'm gonna try getting a hold of her."
"Alright." I hung up on Jay and tried calling Sophia. It went straight to voicemail, so I texted her.
Kelly: Hey, are you alright?
After five minutes of her not answering I called Jay back.
"Any luck?" He asked answering.
"No, I'm gonna go to her house. I'll call you when I get their."
"Alright, I'm gonna continue to try getting a hold of her."
"Alright, call me if you hear anything."
"Same goes for you."
"Alright bye."
"Bye."

(Sophias pov)
I woke up to a ringing in my ears. I immediately felt pain. I also immediately realized that my car was upside down. I looked for my phone. I found it smashed on the roof of my car. I picked it up and prayed it still worked. Thankfully it did. I noticed I had multiple missed calls and texts, but before I could call 911, my phone shut off. I knew my phone had a low battery before I left the diner but I was hoping it would last long enough for me to call for help.
I looked around for my radio. I had just gotten off of work before I went to drop Lilly off.
I remembered that my radio was in the backseat, but since my car had been flipped over it flew to the front. I saw it on my dashboard that was covered in tiny pieces of glass. I carefully reached for it and thankfully it was in arms length.
"Can anyone hear me?" I said into my radio.
"Go for main." I heard someone's voice come through.
"Hi, this is Lieutenant Sophia Severide from firehouse 51. I'm off duty, but I got into a car accident, but my phone isn't working. There is at least one other car involved in the accident. I need help."
"Okay lieutenant where are you?"
"I'm at the red light on Davis street, right before your turn onto the interstate."
"Alright lieutenant help is on the way. Firehouse 34, is on their way back from a call near you. I'm sending them your way now."
I rested my head back on my head rest. I reached my hand up to where I felt something dripping down my face. When I brought my hand back down I saw blood on it. I had to get out of my car. I tried unbuckling my seatbelt but it was jammed.
"Damn it." I mumbled. I heard sirens in the distance so I knew help was on the way. That was a good thing at least. I looked around my car for something to cut my seat belt with. I remembered I had a pocket knife in my glove box. I reached across my car to try to get into glove box.
"Come on, almost there." I just reached it.
I pulled the knife out of my glove box and cut the seatbelt.
I carefully crawled out through my windshield being careful not to get cut by the glass. I also had to be careful since the ground was only a couple inches beneath me.
Just as I crawled out from underneath my car, I saw the rigs of firehouse 34 pull up. I tried standing up but I felt an excruciating pain in my foot.
Chase hopped out of the rig before it was even stopped and ran over to me.
"Hey are you okay?" He asked looking me over.
"I'm okay, check the other driver." He nodded not completely trusting me and ran over to the other car. I stood up keeping my weight on my right foot. I looked back at the totaled mess of what my Jeep Grand Cherokee used to be.
I felt someone grab my shoulder and I looked back to see Savannah.
"Come on you gotta get checked out."
I nodded and she helped me over to the ambulance. Chase walked over while she was checking me out.
"How's the other driver?" I asked.
"He didn't make it."
I sighed.
"If it makes you feel any better, the accident wasn't your fault." He held up an empty bottle of Jack Daniels.
"He was wasted. This was only one of the liquor bottles that was in the car."
I nodded.
"Alright, hate to break it too you but you gotta go to the hospital, you have a pretty bad concussion and a couple broken ribs, along with a broken ankle." I nodded.
She hopped into the back of the ambulance with me while Joe got in the drivers seat.

(A couple hours later)
I woke up and saw a bright light above me.
"Hey your up." I heard what sounded like Jay say too me.
I positioned myself so that I was sitting up against the pillow.
"Your boyfriends on his way here, but I'll go get Ben and Shay." I nodded. Scott still hasn't met my kids or Jay and I really didn't want them anytime soon, but here we are I guess.
I saw Ben and Shay followed by Jay come back into the room. They both ran over and jumped up onto my bed. Shay jumped right onto the side of my stomach where I had three broken ribs. I groaned in pain. Jay came over and picked Shay up and off the bed.
"Don't jump on Mommy, she's still hurt."
"I'm sorry Mommy." Shay said.
"It's okay." I said before Ben jumped off the bed.
Everything was awkward and quiet for a minute until Jay spoke up.
"In case your wondering why I'm here and not Kelly, it's because I'm still your emergency contact. I guess you forgot to change it or something." I watched Shay and Ben play with the barbie doll Shay had brought with her.
"I know I didn't change it Jay." I said before looking over to him. He shot me a look of confusion.
"Jay, I trust you with my life. I trust you with my kids, I trust you with everything your my best friend. Your family. You know me better than anyone else. Hell you know me better than I know myself. If I was on life support, I would want you to decide if the plug gets pulled or not." I looked in his eyes for a minute as he smiled at me. We were interrupted by a knock on the door. I looked up to see Scott.
"Hey, are you alright?" He asked, before coming over to give me a kiss.
He looked around the room at Jay and my kids.
"I uhh, should get going." Jay said before leaving with Ben and Shay.
"Who was that?"
"My ex husband and my kids."
His expression changed.
"Why was he here?"
"Not that it really is any of your business but he's my emergency contact." I said changing the tone in my voice.
"Are you seriously jealous?" I asked him getting a little annoyed.
"Look, Sophia I trust you, but I don't trust him." He said changing the subject.
"Well I do, and weather you like it or not he's going to be in my life. He is family. And if it comes down to it, I will pick him over you. Don't make me choose."
"I'm sorry Sophia, that was uncalled for. I just am happy that your alright. I love you."
I was surprised by those three words.
"I-I love you too." I said, before he kissed me again.