Where Did We Go Wrong

mentions of divorce
_____________________________
(3 days later)
I decided that I was gonna go take the job interview from Chief Riley, until I was no longer suspended from 51.
I smoothed down my uniform jacket. I knew Jay was off today, but I haven't talked to him since when I found out he cheated on me.
I needed him today to watch Ben and Shay since the babysitter cancelled on me.
I dialed his number.
"Hello?" He asked answering the phone.
"Hey. Um I wanted to call and see if you wanted to hang out with the kids today? I have somewhere I need to be and the babysitter cancelled on me. If not it's totally fine I can call my mom, I just figured since you haven't seen your kids in three days, you would want to see them."
"Yeah, I'll come over."
"Thank you."
I hung up the phone and waited for him to come over.

I heard a knock on the door.
I opened it to see Jay.
"Hi."
"Hi."
I let him in.
"Are you in trouble with the CFD?" He asked me noticing my uniform.
"No. You remember how Chief Riley offered me a job?"
He nodded.
"Well three days ago I was suspended from 51, so I'm gonna take the job for the foreseeable future."
"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know you were suspended. I'm sorry I made that day worse."
"Yeah, well. I better get going if I wanna make it on time."
He nodded.
"Can we talk when I get back?"
"Of course."
I smiled and went out to my car.
Unfortunately the firehouse was an hour away.

I walked through the doors of firehouse 32, and saw no females working there at all.
"Excuse me?" I asked one of the men who looked my age who was working at the firehouse.
"Yes, can I help you?"
"Can you show me where Chief Riley's office is?"
"Yeah of course follow me." He said with a smile.
I followed him to the chiefs office.
"I never caught your name." He said.
"Lieutenant Sophia Severide."
I said holding my hand out.
"Oh your the firefighter who's gonna replace my uncle."
"I'm sorry did something happen to him?"
"He's retiring."
"Oh okay. I thought he died for a minute there." I said earning a laugh from him.
"Well I'm Chase Riley."
"Are you related to Chief Riley?"
"He's my father."
I nodded.
"Well It was nice meeting you."
I said with a smile.
"You too." He said returning the smile.
I walked into the Chiefs office.
"Why hello Lieutenant Halstead."
"Uhh Lieutenant Severide. It's my maiden name. I'd rather go by that." His eyes glanced to my left ring finger where my wedding ring used to be.
"Are you..."
I cut him off.
"Yes I am Benny Severides daughter. My brothers a firefighter as well."
"I've heard of him. I knew your father too. He was a great guy."
I smiled.
"Anyway, I'm from a family of firefighters too."
"I know I met your son. He seems like a good kid."
"He is. You got kids?"
"Yeah, I have two. A four year old and a nine month old. My sons actually named after my father."
"Oh that's really nice."
I nodded.
"Well, you have the job."
"Wait your not gonna interview me?"
"There's no need to. I saw you in action. Your not only a great leader but a great firefighter."
"I appreciate the sentiments."
"In fact if you have your gear you can start now."
"I do, but my jacket and helmet say 51."
"Well you can use a captains jacket and helmet till we can get one with your name on it. In fact hear you go." He said reaching behind his desk. He handed me the jacket and helmet.
"Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone." I nodded and followed him out to the main room of the firehouse.
"Everybody listen up!"
He said getting the attention of everybody.
"I want you too meet your new captain. Sophia Severide." I smiled.
"Sophia your gonna be captain on truck 67. You will be in command of Firefighter Gary Lee Bryan, Brandon Weaver, Chase Riley, and Joel Nicholson. On squad there's Lieutenant Burke Foster, Firefighter Wyatt Green, Blake Sylvan, Trevor Payne, and Peter Calvin. On engine is Lieutenant Grayson Todd, Jackson Smith, Christian Trenton, and Oliver Knolls." He explained.
"So there's no other females in this house?"
"Well there's a female paramedic but she's out on a call."
"What's the paramedics names?"
"Savannah Allard and Joseph Trenton."
I nodded.
"Well I'm excited to get to work." As I said that the ambulance drove in.
"Perfect timing this is the new captain." I smiled and waved.
"Sweet! Another woman." The female paramedic who I'm assuming is Savannah came running up to me.
"Savannah Allard." She said holding out her hand.
"Sophia Severide." I said shaking her hand.
"Nice to meet you."
"You too."
"House fire. Engine 12, Truck 67, Squad 92, Ambulance 43."
"Come on!" The chief yelled. We ran onto the rigs and I saw Chase was driving.
"So we meet again Captain. Get used to this pretty face."
"Your so full of yourself Riley." I said with a laugh.
He drove us to the scene.
"Alright Captain what do you want to do? We know there's a little kid in their. That's it."
"Well it looks like the fire is contained to the downstairs so I think engine should knock it out and truck can do search and rescue. We don't need both truck and squad that's putting too many people at risk."
"Alright, instruct your people."
"Alright, Riley, and Weaver with me. Come on."
They followed me in.
"Fire department call out!"
"Help!"
"Fire department!"
"Captain they're over here. Cheif I found the little kid!" Chase said into his radio.
"Get out of there the buildings about to collapse!" The chief said back.
"Get out of here! She's stuck back here I'll get her!" I commanded.
"I'm not leaving my captain to die!" Chase said back to me.
"Well I'm not letting you two die!"
"Weaver get out of here! You have a wife and kids!" For a split second I thought of Jay and my kids but I couldn't do that if I wanted to keep this job.
"If we can get her out from behind the table back there we can get out the back door."
"Alright, well how are we gonna get her to crawl out."
"I don't know, but we have to try."
"Maybe she fells comfortable around women, that's how most little kids are." I suggested.
"Alright." I knelt down.
"Hey, honey can you come out here, for me?" She shook her head no.
"Listen if we don't get out of here your gonna get hurt." She thought for a second and then reluctantly crawled out to me.
"Come on we gotta go now!" I ran out towards the back door with the little girl in my arms and Chase behind me.
"I'm gonna bring her over to the paramedics. I'll see you back at the firehouse." I gave her to Savannah and Joseph.
"Nice save out their Captain." Chief Riley said coming up behind me.
"Thanks Chief."

We drove back to the firehouse and I was in my Captains Quarters getting ready to leave when I heard a knock on the door.
"Hey." I heard and I looked up to see Chase.
"What's up?"
"I just wanted to say you had one hell of a save today."
"Couldn't have done it without you." He smiled.
"Hey, I was wondering if maybe I could take you out to dinner sometime?"
"Really? How would that look? The Chiefs son dating the captain?" I asked with a smirk on my face.
"Just think about the offer."
"I will."
"Thank you."
I nodded and walked out to my car so I could drive home.

I walked through the door to see Jay playing with Ben and Shay. I smiled at what our family used to look like.
"Hey." I said causing him to look up at me.
"Hey, did you get the job?"
"Yeah, actually I started today."
"Good for you." I nodded. We sat in an awkward silence until I spoke up.
"We need to talk and you know it."
He nodded.
After I brought Ben and Shay up to their bedrooms I sat at the table across from Jay.
"So what are we gonna do? I told you the night before we got married, I wouldn't be with another cheater." I explained.
"I know."
I felt tears well up in my eyes.
"I'm sorry I couldn't be what you wanted, what you needed."
"You were more than what I wanted and more than what I needed."
"Then why did you kiss her without a second thought?"
"I don't know Sophia."
"That's not an answer Jay!" I said now yelling.
"Well I'm sorry it just happened!" He said screaming back at me.
"How does it just happen?" I asked.
"I don't know Sophia! You know what just say it! Say what your thinking! Say you hate me!"
He yelled at me.
"I don't hate you." I said bringing my voice back to it's normal state.
"Why not? I would hate me!" He semi-yelled.
"I can't hate you, okay? No matter how much I want too. No matter how much easier it would be if I did. I can't hate you because you gave me the two best gifts in the world. You gave me Ben and Shay." I explained.
"But we can't stay married no matter what way you look at it." I added.
He nodded agreeing.
"Where did we go wrong?" He asked with tears in his eyes.
"God only knows." I said answering him.
"What are we gonna do? I don't wanna go to court against you."
"You get the house, along with all the furniture in it. You keep your car I'll keep mine. You can have Maya since you have the house. As for Ben and Shay we have to figure out a way where both of us can see them."
"Every other week. One week I have them, the next week you get them." I said compromising with him.
"Do you have a place to stay?"
"I can stay with Will, until I find an apartment." I nodded.
"Well I'll send the kids to my mothers tomorrow and we can get your stuff." He nodded.
"So what do you we do until we sign the divorce papers?"
"We're separated I guess." I said answering him. I wiped stead off my face and got up to get the ring he gave me.
"Here."
"Keep it. That way one day we can give it to Ben." I nodded.
"I'll put it in the safe."
He nodded getting up.
I walked him to the door.
"So, I guess this is it huh?"
"I guess so."
"Listen Jay, I will always love you. I know that sounds cliche but it's true, I will always love you. Maybe one day we can get another chance."
"Maybe. Hopefully."
"Until then Jay Halstead."
"Until then Sophia Severide."
I gave him one last hug and watched him pull out of the driveway.
____________________________
remember i'm giving sophia and jay a happy end so be patient.