Chapter 23

Y: Kenny.. nice name.

We talk a little bit throughout the class. He seems really cool, he's nice, and he's goofy. He seems really nice AS A FRIEND. I'm not going to let myself fall for someone so quick again for things just not to work out. After the bell rings I gather my stuff and and walk out. I was so focused on trying to distance myself from him a little I totally forgot I'm basically his tour guide.

K: oh uh hey! Your supposed to show me to my next class.

Y: oh right.. your next class is social studies at room 420(😉)

I walk Malik to his next class then head to my 3rd period class.

The rest of the day is pretty boring until lunch. I get to lunch looking for Kobe and mike as usual. To my surprise I see them sitting with Derek. Is that where they were this morning. I would go talk to them but I don't want to be near Derek right now. Or ever for that matter.

I sit down at a table by myself. I start to get nervous because I feel like everyone is staring at me sitting alone-

K: hey. You ok?

Y: oh yea I'm good. My friends kinda ditched me that's it.

K: well I'll sit with you, if you don't mind.

Y: yea that's fine

I get to know a little more about Kenny as we talk at lunch. It was really easy too, the conversation doesn't seem forced at all. He has 2 younger siblings, a dog , and some other stuff he told me. He also plays football.

We were so deep into conversation lunch went by super quick and before we knew it lunch was over.
I get up from my seat and head towards the school building(lunch is in gym which is a different building iykyk) when he asks me

K: hey, I was wondering if we could hang out- as friends of course

Y:yea. I'd like that.

I really did mean what I said. Ngl at first I was annoyed by him but once I got to know him he seems really nice and cool. I think we could be potential close friends.

*time skip*
My last end, I pack my stuff and head to my locker. After I get my stuff and head outside I spot Kobe and Mike.

Y: hey guys. What happened at lunch.. and this morning.

K: oh uh we wanted to skip and eat lunch out today

Y: i saw you guys sitting with Vallyk at lunch

They both sigh.

M: Well Derek still our boy. He apologized and wanted to talk to us again. He was our friend first to be fair.

Y: guys I don't care, really. You could've just told me.

K: sorry. We didn't know if we would hurt your feelings. Also we made plans with Jim's so if you don't mind..

Y: it's fine you guys can go, I'm fine really.

M: sure you'll be. Cuz your boyfriends walking this way.

I turn around and see Kenny walking towards us

Y: He's not my boyfriend! Anyways gtg

It did kinda hurt that they were with Derek but I understand that they were friends first. All these thoughts disappear as I turn to look at Kenny. Butterflies start to fill my stomach as he looks down at me in my eyes.

K: So we still on for today?

Y: yea I've got something to do right now but I'll text you when I'm ready

I don't have anything to do. Just can't make it seem like I'm depsperate. Wait- what am I thinking he's just my friend.

Y: wait you know what! Why don't we just go now

K: oh- ok.

We first get into separate cars so I could drop mine off at home. He opens the passenger door for me to his car.

Y: what a gentleman.

K: I try

We both laugh and then hop into the car.

Y: so where are we going?

K: Where ever you want to go is fine. Although I do find that little restaurant in town pretty cool. I guess that place just calms me down. Ever since I've gotten here it's the only place where I can think

Y: really?? I feel the same way.

That and one other place. But we're not going to get to that now.

We arrive at the diner. We sit at a booth across from each other. The conversation was natural and not forced which was normal. I don't know why but it's so easy to talk to Kenny after knowing him for such a short amount of time.

K: so what's some things you try to do

Y: i guess I like to draw as a hobby which got me into makeup kinda. What about you?

K: I play football, played varsity at my old school and hoping to play for this new school too

Y: well I'll be the judge of whether you really good or not

For the next hour and a half we talk and talk, and the more we talk the more extreme the feeling in my stomach gets. Whatever I'm feeling right now I need to shove way down.

Unfortunately our time is cut short because aunt Kiki calls saying she want me back home.

Y: ugh I gotta go my Aunt wants me back home- it was really nice meeting with you though, I hope we can do it again.

K: me too.

We stand up to say out goodbyes. The only awkward part of our whole date was figuring out whether to hug or just shake hands when we were saying our goodbyes. We end up hugging which makes my cheeks warm and the butterflies are going crazyyy.

Y: Bye see you soon.

K: Bye.

The diner bell rings as I walk out to my car. I arrive home and Kiki's sitting in the chair with an interrogating look like in the movies.

K: so who were you with this time?

Y: no one Kiki just a friend.

K: you've been saying that a lot lately.

Y: fine if I sit down and explain to you will leave me alone.

K: yup

I sigh a deep sigh and then sit down next to her.

Y: so Kobe and Mike ditched me for Derek. I mean I knew it was inevitable but still hoped it wouldn't happen. This guy-

K: so it's a boy

Y: please just listen! So this guys Kenny is new to the school. And he's really nice, I don't have any other friends so I was hanging out with him. And nothing is going on ok, we're just friends.

K: So there's no feelings?

Y:...No

K: uh- you hesitated!

Y: i told you what happen now you have to leave me alone!

I run upstairs to my room to escape the wrath of aunt Kiki. About Kenny, I really did believe that I could push back those feelings, and we'd just stay friends. But once I again, I was wrong. Very wrong.