Chapter 35

Derek returns the amazed gaze, and not in a good way.

A girl that looked just like him but like- a girl, is sitting next to her. She looks just a few years younger.

???: hi! You must be Kiki's niece. My names Ahiella and this is my brother Derek, pretty sure he goes to your school. What's your name?

Y: my name is y/n, and I've seen your brother around. Excuse me I need to use the bathroom real quick.

A: oh ok, want me to show you?

Y: i can manage, thanks.

I quickly walk back the direction I came, where Kiki and her new boyfriend are sitting. Talking with some  wine near them.

Y: hey! Sorry something is going on with my family back him can I please talk to Kiki for a little, if you don't mind. Also I've realized I don't know your name.

???: oh right, so sorry. My name is Emanuel

OMG Emanuel! I remember Derek telling me his dads name was Emanuel. Kiki really should have given me more details before coming here!

I pull Kiki down the long hallway, somewhere no one will hear us.

Y: you know that son that's my age?

K: Yea what about it.

Y: that son IS DEREK!

I say this in a loud whisper

K: quiet down! And what??

Y: Yea his son is Derek, how did you not know?

K: well we wanted to keep things on the down low until dinner today, plus sometimes he forgets things hence why he forgot to tell you his name. We can leave if you want.

Kiki looks a little disappointed by it. I can't let my personal feelings get in the way of Kiki's happiness, especially after everything she's done for me.

Y: No it's fine. This is important to you so I'll just have to suck it up. Everything should be fine as long as I ignore Derek.

Moments later, Kiki's back in the kitchen with Emanuel and I head back into the living room, where Ahiella and Derek are sitting in the same place as before.

A: did you have trouble finding the bathroom?

Y: nope.

Ahiella is sitting on the couch in the middle, Derek is sitting at the far left corner. I decide to sit on the couch at the far right of the room. Dereks on his phone, I can tell he's trying his hardest not to look up at me.

A: so.. what do you like to watch.

Y: um, anything is fine.

(𝚕𝚘𝚕 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕 𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚍𝚘𝚎𝚜𝚗'𝚝 𝚛𝚎𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚍 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚘𝚏 𝚠𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚏𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚗 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚊 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚋𝚞𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚗 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚊𝚋𝚕𝚎 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚎𝚗𝚍 𝚕𝚘𝚕)

We didn't end up watching anything. All the kids were on our phones to try and escape the awkwardness. Which doesn't really help.

We are rescued when Emanuel comes to the room to tell us dinner is ready.

E: Guys make sure to show our guest where to wash her hands!

Ahiella leads me to the bathroom, we get in line to wash our hands. She wipes her and hands in her way out.

I wash my hands once she leaves. Unfortunately Derek comes in after me.

D: y/n I-

Y: don't say anything please. I don't have anything to say to you.

I quickly dry my hands off then join the rest of the group at the dinner table.

E: This is nice isn't it.

Everyone nods in agreement, even if some of us don't really mean it.

E: So y/n, you getting along with Ahiella and Derek?

Y: Yea, they seem pretty cool. I actually know Derek a little bit from school.

E: glad you guys get along.

The rest of the dinner was pretty awkward, mostly Kiki and Emanuel talking and asking questions. After dinner was over us kids went back to the living room. Me and Ahiella talked, she seems really cool. Derek had his eyes on his phone the whole time.

***
Everyone's standing at the front door talking. After saying goodbye many times, but we're still here(iykyk lol)

When it's finally time to leave Kiki hugs Emanuel. I hug Ahiella goodbye. Derek wasn't even at the door with us he stayed back since the first goodbye.

We wave as we walk down the long path to Kiki's car.

***
The slams of the doors on either sides slam in unison as we get into the car.

K: listen I'm so sorry, if he had told me ahead of time I wouldn't have asked you to go.

Y: no, no it's fine. I guess I'll just have to avoid him. Plus, Ahiella's really nice. I look forward to hanging out with her more. She actually asked if we could meet next week.

K: that's great! Well, let's head home.

And for a short while I did believe I could avoid Derek forever. Unfortunately, I was mistaken.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ik this chapter is kinda short but I hope you enjoyed 😌