chapter 1

Michael glanced around the place he had called home for years now. He was really glad he’d decided to stay back on Earth after helping Raguel fight the war against the demons. He was grateful he had found a friend in Raguel. Over the years, their friendship had grown and they had become more like brothers instead of just close friends.

Heaven was no longer home for him. Besides, the memories of his time in Heaven were not at all pretty. Recalling those memories made him want to hide his face from the rest of the world. He squeezed his eyes shut as a memory washed over him.

Not now.’ 

He tried to take a deep breath. No matter how long it had been, his past always haunted him. As a pure Angel, he didn’t need to sleep at all unless he sustained a serious injury. He wasn’t used to dreams. So, with his past coming to haunt him, it was difficult to block the intense memories.

‘This is my life.’

His breath evened out and he sighed. Michael continued strolling through the house. He paused as he caught a glimpse of Ariel and her soulmate, Grey, making out in the living room. He smiled softly and averted his gaze.

Those two don’t know how to keep their hands off each other,’ he thought. 

He continued walking, but he didn’t make it far before Ariel called out for him. Michael turned and faced her.

“Hi, Uncle Michael!” Ariel said in a cheerful tone as she tried to sit up straight. 

Grey refused to let her move towards Michael. He playfully pulled her back towards his chest so that he could hug her.

“Grey!” Ariel whined.

“What?” Grey asked innocently.

Ariel rolled her eyes at him, making Michael laugh.

“You two are big babies,” Michael said with a chuckle. “Do you want something?”

“No,” Ariel replied.

“Why did you call me?”

“Well you’ve been moving around the house for a few minutes now and you look bothered. Is everything alright?” 

Michael smiled at her. She was always so observant, just like her father. Nothing could slip past her. Whenever one thought her to be busy with her soulmate, they actually didn’t know that her eyes were indeed raking her surroundings. 

“I'm fine Ariel, I just decided to stretch my feet,” Michael said, trying to sound convincing.

“But your face says otherwise,” Ariel pointed out. 

Michael plastered a fake smile on his face. “I'm really fine Ariel,” Michael insisted. “But… look at Grey;  he needs attention." Michael tried steering the conversation away from himself. He knew Ariel would do anything for her soulmate. 

Ariel turned to look at Grey and lightly pinched his cheek. “He can wait,” she said, turning back to her Uncle. 

“No, I can't,” Grey murmured.

“Ariel, he needs your attention, and I'm really fine,” Michael said. 

“Okay,” Ariel agreed. She turned back to Grey, who sealed their lips together. 

Michael averted his eyes and walked away from them. He was happy for Ariel. He was glad that she had found someone to spend the rest of her life with. But anytime he saw them getting intimate, it made his heart yearn for the "love" he knew he would never have. He quickly pushed away the thought of love out of his mind. Thinking about it didn’t help him anyway.