Chapter 23

Jessie's eyes slowly opened. She scanned around the room until her gaze eventually rested on her sister, who was asleep beside her. She tried to stand up but felt severe pain on her side. A groan escaped her lips. She shut her eyes tightly as she absorbed the pain. She took in a deep breath before opening her eyes again. 

She gently positioned one of her legs firmly on the ground, and a few seconds later, she placed the other one. She sat on the mattress, taking in a deep breath. Jessie noticed the marks on her body were all gone. She finally stood up from the bed and made her way slowly to the door, opening it. She shut the door quietly in order not to wake her sleeping sister. 

Every step she took down the stairs felt traumatic. When she finally reached the end of the stairs, she sighed in relief. She was about to take another step in the direction of the kitchen when she felt someone’s gaze on her. She slowly turned, and she saw Michael watching her. Her heart skipped a beat, and she had the urge to walk up to him and wrap her hands around him, but she knew she couldn't give her thoughts any action. 

They stared at each other without saying anything. She could see the pain she caused to Michael, written all over his face. 'I wish I could turn back the hands of time.' She finally averted her eyes from Michael's. She couldn't bear the sight of him in pain, knowing that she caused it. “I just want to get something to eat," Jessie said softly. She turned and left for the kitchen when she didn't hear anything from Michael. 

When she reached the kitchen, she sat down. The pain on her side was killing her. She was about to stand up before she heard Michael's voice. She didn't know when he entered the kitchen. "What did you say?"

"I said I would make something for you to eat."  

"You don't have to do that. I can manage." 

One look from Michael made her end the argument. She watched Michael move around the kitchen. The silence in there was very awkward.  She had so many things to say to Michael, but she didn’t even know where to start from. She watched Michael move from the kitchen to the dining table and place her meals there. She immediately stood up and walked to the dining table. She looked up and noticed Michael staring at her.

"Thank you."

"I will go call Raphael so he can have a look at you.” Michael hurried out of the kitchen. 

                       ***** 

 Michael sighed in relief once he was out of Jessie's sight.  When he first noticed Jessie coming downstairs, he was so pleased that she was finally awake. He desired nothing more than to wrap his arms around her. Even when he saw Jessie struggling to get towards the kitchen, he wanted to put his arms around and lead her to the kitchen. He wanted to ask how she was feeling.

He made his way to where Raphael was seated with his eyes closed. Michael watched as Raphael opened his eyes after sensing his presence. 

"Hey," Raphael said.

"Jessie is awake," Michael announced.

"That's good news. Where is she? 

"She is at the dining table." Michael turned and led the way.  

When they reached the dining table, Michael saw that Jessie was deep in thought, and she had barely touched her food. Michael didn't like the way she was looking disturbed. Even though Jessie had hurt him, he still didn't want to see her in pain. 

"Hey, Jessie. How are you doing?" Raphael pulled her out of her thoughts.

"Not too good.” Her eyes drifted to Michael for a few seconds before she looked at Raphael.