chapter 7

Michael was seated at the dining table with his entire family. He expected to see Jessie seated at the dining table, but she was not. He wondered if she was alright. He wanted to go check on her, but he doesn’t want a repeat of what happened in her room before.

He sighed softly as he watched Elena and Ariel set the dining table. He glanced at the stairs waiting for Jessie to show up but to his disappointment, she didn’t. 

“I’ll go call Jessie to join us for breakfast,” Elena said. 

Michael wanted to tell Elena he would go call Jessie, but he kept his mouth shut and watched Elena climb the stairs and make her way to Jessie's room.

                    ****

Jessie lay on her bed looking at the ceiling. Her mind was continuously drifting to her sister.  She didn't have a good night's rest.

“I don’t know if these angels will keep to their promise in assisting me to find my sister,” Jessie stated quietly. “The more time my sister spends in the demon zone, the more she is in danger.”  “Oh God please protect my sister, she is the only one I have left.”  

She heard a knock on her door. She stood up from the bed to answer it. 

“Good morning,” Elena said. 

Jessie didn’t even reply to her, she just waited for Elena to speak.

“Breakfast is ready.” 

“I'm not hungry,” Jessie muttered. She was about to close the door however Elena positioned her hand on the door stopping it from closing. 

“Are you all alright?” 

“I'm fine,” Jessie murmured while she crossed her arms.

“Are you sure?” 

“Yes!” Jessie yelled. “Can you simply leave me alone,” Jessie demanded as she slammed her door shut. 

Jessie sat on her bed as tears moved down her face.  She brought her knees up to her chest as she continued to sob quietly. She remembered all the moments she spent with her sister and it made tears run down her face.

“Please be strong for me, I will find you soon,” she whispered. 

                   ****

“What was that noise?” Raguel asked immediately Elena came downstairs.

“It's Jessie,” Elena answered with an unhappy expression.

Michael heard Jessie's name and turned his full attention to Elena. 

“What happened?” Michael asked. 

“She looked upset.” 

“Really?  What could be wrong with her?” Michael asked. 

“I don't know, she didn't say,” 

“Is she coming downstairs?” Raguel asked. 

“No.  She said she’s not hungry.”  

“That's a lie,” Michael said without thinking, making the entire family turn their heads to look at him. He refused to meet any of their eyes.  “I’ll go talk with her.”  

“Wait, Michael,” Raguel said. “ I don't think it's a good idea.” 

“But why?” 

“She’s upset about something we should let be, for now,” Raguel said. 

“But...”

“No.” 

“Fine,” Michael said as he sat down.