Chapter 20

Michael was sitting on Jessie's bed and had his nose buried in her bedsheet. Even though it had been two days since Jessie left, the bedsheet still smelled like her. It had been tough for Michael; he still couldn't bring himself to believe that Jessie left without looking back.  

Michael's smiles ceased to etch on his face, or if they did, they appeared dead. There was no shine in his eyes when he smiled. It was as if he was always somewhere else, perhaps in his head or probably in a different world. He didn't talk much to anyone, and he gradually became more reserved, distancing himself from others. He didn't dare hope things might change. He just felt helpless and refused to let anybody in. He was in constant pain, and he struggled to get through the day.  

Raguel knew the pain and discomfort his friend was going through even though he insisted he was fine. Raguel would normally sit with him throughout the night, simply to watch over him. Once in a while, Raguel would talk to him. However, Michael never responded, but his silence did not stop Raguel from speaking to him, which Michael was sincerely grateful for because it often distracted him from the pain he was experiencing. 

Michael stood up from the bed and went to the bathroom. He looked at his reflection in the mirror, and he could hardly recognize himself. He sighed as he poured water on his face before he exited the bathroom. Afterward, he made his way downstairs and went straight to the couch. Michael closed his eyes for a moment before he heard his name. 

Michael opened his eyes and stared at Ariel. He looked around and noticed that the entire family was staring at him with concern.  

"You look like shit." Ariel moved closer to him.

"Language, young lady," Elena scolded her.

Ariel just rolled her eyes and sat next to her uncle.

"When did you get back?" Michael asked in a whisper. 

Ariel and her soulmate had been out of town for a while, and they only just got back. 

"Not too long ago. Why are you looking like this?" she asked.

Michael couldn't say anything. So, he simply remained quiet. 

"Mom?" Ariel looked at her mother for answers.  

"We will talk about this later. Go and freshen up," Elena dismissed her. 

"But—"

"No but, young lady. Off you go." Elena pulled her daughter from the couch.

Ariel glanced back at her uncle before she took the hands of her soulmate, who spoke to her using their mind link. She nodded her head at his words before they headed towards their room.

Raguel immediately sat next to Michael when his daughter had left the room. "How are you feeling?" 

"Good." Michael coughed. 

Elena rushed to the kitchen to get him water, which he drank. It was the first thing he had put in his mouth in two days.

"I know it's challenging for you to get over Jessie. I know it will take time, but please do not shut us out. Please, Michael," Raguel said pleadingly.

"Okay."

"Good." 

"Lunch is served," Elena announced from the dining table. 

"Come with me." Raguel made an attempt to pull Michael off the couch, but he resisted. 

"Please, Michael, I know you don't have to eat to keep up your strength, but I will be at rest if you eat something."