chapter 13

Jessie rolled on her bed. She wasn't able to get any sleep. A groan escaped her lips as she sat up. She glanced at the time and sighed.

 “It's still early,” she muttered. 

She laid down, attempting to get some more sleep. However, she ultimately gave up when sleep eluded her. 

Jessie stood up from her mattress and made her way downstairs. She was heading to the kitchen when she got a glimpse of someone in the living room. Who could that be at this time? She tried to figure out who the person was. It was really dark, so she had to look closely.  

“Jessie,” the person later called out to her.

“Michael,” she responded a few seconds later after the voice registered in her mind. “What are you doing here?” Jessie asked as she moved closer to him. 

“I should ask you that,” Michael replied. “Sit down.” 

Jessie nodded her head and sat down next to him. She could feel the warmth radiating from his body. All she desired to do was rest her head on his shoulder and have his arms wrapped around her. 

“Jessie, you are quiet,” Michael said, snapping her out of her thoughts. 

 “What?” 

“I said you are quiet,” Michael repeated. “Why are you up? Did you have any more nightmares?”  

Gosh, he doesn't know what he is doing to me,’ she thought to herself.

“No,” Jessie subsequently answered his question. “I couldn't sleep. This thing with the demons is messing with my head. I'm satisfied that the demon virtually confirmed to us that my sister is still alive. I can't wait to see her again,” Jessie poured out her emotions. 

 “I don't understand what you are going through, Jessie. But I promise you we will get your sister back.” 

“Thank you,” Jessie said softly.

 “You don't have to thank me. You deserve to be happy, Jessie. And you deserve to have your sister with you.” 

Jessie nodded her head. “Why are you up?”  

 “I thought you would have noticed by now,” Michael said. 

 “Notice what?” Jessie asked, confused. 

 “That I don't sleep.” 

 “At all?”  

“Yes. Angels don't sleep,” Michael confirmed. But if we are seriously injured, we need to sleep for an hour to regain our strength.

“I had a mild idea that you probably don't sleep, but I wasn't certain. So, nobody sleeps in this house? All these times I sneaked into the kitchen at night, the angels in the house certainly heard me, but they chose to ignore me? Gosh, I thought I was clever,” she chortled, which made Michael laugh.

“You are honestly clueless,” Michael said with a chuckle.

“It's not my fault that I'm clueless,” Jessie mumbled.

“Actually, it's your fault. You are usually locked up in your room, and you hardly involve yourself in any conservation we have,” Michael pointed out.

“That's true. But I was not like this before,” Jessie admitted. “Losing my parents and my only sister has simply made me quiet. I no longer see the reason to be chatty, but if we had met earlier, you would have known that I'm a great company to have.”  

 “Really?” Michael asked with a smile.

 Jessie nodded her head with a smile on her lips.