Chapter 30

Michael sat on the bed with his eyes closed. The thought of Jessie was filling his mind, and his chest clenched at the thought of her in agony. Harsh breaths escaped his lips as he clutched onto his chest, and he struggled to breathe while uncontrollable tears escaped his eyes. 

A few minutes later, he heard the door creak open and sensed Raguel's presence immediately. Michael sighed and wiped the tears from his eyes. Turning around, he looked at Raguel with a weak smile etched on his lips.

Raguel didn't say a word; he just walked closer to Michael and pulled him into a hug. 

Michael took in a deep breath and enjoyed the comfort of his friend’s embrace.

A few minutes later, Raguel pulled out of the hug and peered at his friend. He wanted to ask how Michael was holding up, but taking a look at his appearance already gave all the answers to his questions. "Jessie is a strong woman. I'm sure she's doing fine," he said, hoping it would be the truth.

"I hope so," Michael whispered. He shut his eyes for a few seconds before he heard a knock on the door. He opened his eyes and glanced in the direction of the sound.

Sunshine walked in with her head down and stopped a few feet from Michael. "Are you angry with me?" 

Michael quickly sat up straight, and with a frown on his face, he glanced at Raguel, who was as bewildered as him. Michael stretched out his arms and pulled Sunshine close. "Why would I be angry with you?”

Sunshine peeked at Michael before she lowered her head again. "Jessie was taken because of me."

Michael cupped her cheeks and gently tugged her to look at him. "I'm not angry with you, Sunshine. Jessie made the right decision, and she will be back soon."

Tears fell from Sunshine's eyes. Michael immediately wrapped his arms around her. "It's okay, Sunshine.”

Raguel, who was still in the room, stood up from the bed, which made Michael glimpse at him. He smiled at Michael before he left the room. He sighed, peering at Sunshine, who was calm now. He noticed shut eyes and even breathing.

Michael gently placed her on the bed before standing up. Walking straight to the window, he stared at nothing in particular. The fact that he was missing Jessie would be an understatement. She was his life now, and he clearly couldn't function without her. Tears fell out of his eyes of their own accord. He had to bite his lips to stop a sob from escaping his lips; he preferred not to wake Sunshine. Michael rushed to the bathroom and shut the door behind him. Collapsing on the floor with his face buried in between his legs, a painful sob finally emerged from his dry throat.

                             ****

Jessie scanned the room as she searched for something to escape with, but she found nothing. She sighed in discontent and shut her eyes. She snapped her eyes open when she heard subtle voices. Straining her ears to hear what the voices were arguing about, she sat still, but she couldn't decipher anything of worth.

The door to the room was pushed open, and two female demons walked in, stopping a few feet from Jessie and staring at her.

Jessie watched them intently, wondering what they were thinking. She didn't like the way they were gawking at her. It seemed that the two demons were communicating via telepathy, and soon they pounced on Jessie.

She struggled because of her tied hands, but she was able to kick one of the female demons, which made the other one back off a bit. "If you think you can defeat me, why don't you untie me," Jessie said in a challenging tone. 

The female demons' eyes flashed red. They didn't like being challenged by a human. One of the female demons quickly untied Jessie's hand and stepped back. "If I kill her, Josh will be mine," the female demon snarled at the other demon.

The other one didn't flinch. She just smirked at her before turning to face Jessie, who was staring at them with befuddlement written on her face. 

Jessie wondered who Josh was, but she couldn't ponder for too long because the two demons lunged at her. Jessie twisted one of their hands and pushed the female demon to the ground. She reached out for the other demon before she could attack her. The female demon on the floor attacked Jessie from behind since she was too focused on combating the demon in front of her. She struggled to get out of the grip of the demon. When she finally got the upper hand, she kicked the demon, which sent her flying backward before the enemy could retaliate.

The door was pushed open, and they all whirled to see an angry demon leader with two other demons by his side. The demon leader's eyes flashed red as he stared down at the female demons lying on the floor. "What is going on here?" he growled, which made the female demons quiver in fear and lower their eyes. "I asked a question. Answer me!"

One of the female demons stepped forward and slowly raised her head. She took in a deep breath before she spoke up, "We want to kill this human and prove to you that she's worthless. Can't you see how much I want you, Josh? Why choose to be with a weak human when you can have me? Just say you want me, and I will be yours forever. Together, we will rule this place.” The female demon dared to move closer to the demon leader and placed her hands on his chest, but that was a big mistake on her part because the demon leader drew her close and snapped her neck, leaving her lifeless body to drop to the ground.  

The demon leader turned to face the other demon, who was now trembling in fear. "How dare you touch the one I have chosen?” he snarled.

"Please, forgive me, Master. It was a mistake. I will never repeat it." The demon fell to her knees. 

"Yes, it will not happen again," the demon leader brought his hands to her neck and put pressure around it.

The female demon struggled to breathe, but the demon leader intensified the pressure until she gave up the fight. 

"Clean up this mess," he ordered.

The two demons with him quickly carried the bodies of the lifeless demons out of the room.  The demon leader looked at Jessie for a few minutes before he wheeled around and left the room.

Jessie sat on the floor and buried her face between her legs. Tears fell from her eyes. She was tired and wanted to go back home to her family. After a few minutes, she wiped the tears from her cheeks. She was determined not to give up. She remembered the promise she had made to Michael, and she was going to hold on to it. She was certain that Michael and the rest of her family would be in the demon zone soon to rescue her. And she wouldn’t give up.