chapter 10

The cold outside the house had Jessie wrapping her arms around herself. She didn't know exactly where she was going, but she knew she wasn't going back to the Angels' residence without her sister. Thinking about Angel's house caused her thoughts to drift to Michael. 

“I wonder how he would react when he finds out I'm gone. Will he be concerned?” A sigh escaped her lips. “Michael is a big distraction for me. I need to focus my attention on where I'm going.  I'm not going back to the Angels' house once I find my sister. We will go back to the life we had before the demons took her away, and before the Angels entered my life.” 

 Jessie continued walking with conflicting thoughts running through her mind. “I don't need the Angels. I was living on my own before I met them. I will be fine,” she tried convincing herself.

Though, the thought of living on her own again didn’t feel right after living in a house full of people for weeks. Her mind was screaming at her to return to the Angels' place, but she ignored it. She tried blocking any thought of Angel's residence from her mind.

Jessie sighed as she pushed herself further.

I think I should go this way. My instincts are always right.  If I sight any demon, I will make sure I break their bones.’

She was about to take another step but stopped when she noticed someone taunting a child.

Jessie was very irritated, but before she could take any action, the person looked up, and Jessie recognized the person staring at her.

“A demon,” she whispered. Jessie knew he was a demon because he was the same demon who took her sister. Without giving it a second thought, she lunged for the demon. 

The demon wasn't expecting the attack. He screamed in pain when Jessie's fist connected with his face, and he automatically fell. 

Jessie turned to look at the little girl who was sitting on the floor, looking terrified. She had tears flowing down her cheek. Jessie rapidly turned to pick the child up to console her. She wasn't able to hold the child before she was pushed to the ground. Jessie looked at the face of the little child, who had her back pressed against the wall.

“Run!” Jessie yelled.

The child didn't waste any time standing. She ran as fast as her little legs could carry her. Jessie turned her attention back to the demon, who had punched her face hard. Jessie winced in pain before pushing the demon off her. She stood up and beat the demon very hard. 

“You, stupid human,” the demon snarled. 

“Where is my sister?” Jessie demanded.

 The demon laughed hard. “Like I will tell you.”  

“You don't have a choice,” Jessie spat at the demon.

“I love your strength and courage, and I think you will be useful to my Master,” the demon said, eyeing Jessie.

“To hell with your Master. I want my sister back, and you will take me to her,” Jessie yelled, pointing at the demon. 

“You see,” the demon said, smiling. “You will be useful for my Master. Seize her!” the demon ordered.

Jessie's eyes widened in surprise. She didn't know other demons were present there as well.

Stupid,’ she muttered to herself. 

Jessie started backing away from the demon, who was coming close to her.  

“Don't fight, human,” the demon leading the group said.