Chapter 25

Jessie's eyes were closed, but she noticed she could no longer feel the warmth of Michael's body pressed to hers. She slowly opened her eyes and noticed Michael was no longer on the bed. She looked around the room until her eyes rested on Michael, who was sitting on a chair with his eyes closed, and his fingers linked together. 

Jessie stood up from the mattress and made her way to where Michael was seated. Immediately, she stood in front of him. Michael opened his eyes and smiled at her. "Good morning."

"Good morning," Jessie responded drowsily. 

Michael noticed Jessie was barely keeping her eyes open, and he felt responsible for it. After he had told Jessie about his past, he felt vulnerable, and he couldn't wield his feelings. His eyes kept tearing up, and Michael was glad Jessie was there to help him, but he didn’t like seeing her tired.  

Jessie waved her hands in front of Michael, which made him glance at her. "Where did your mind wander off to?"

"You look tired. Why don't you go back to bed and get some extra sleep?"

"No, I'm good." 

"You are barely keeping your eyes open, Jess."

 "No, I'm not going back to sleep." Jessie yawned.

"See, you are still tired. I know this is my fault for keeping you up at night," Michael muttered. 

“Don't do that. It's not your fault. You were dreary after taking a walk down a painful memory lane yesterday. It's my responsibility to look after you because I love you." Jessie leaned ahead and kissed his lips. "I know if the circumstances were different, and I were the one in your shoes, you would have done the same for me even though Angels don't sleep.

Michael laughed at Jessie's last statement, which made her smile widely. He smiled at her. "I love you."

"A bath will wake me up properly." Jessie turned in the direction of the bathroom. When she opened the door, she glanced at Michael one last time before she shut the door. She looked at her reflection in the mirror, and she realized why Michael had insisted she must go back to bed. She had bags underneath her eyes.

Jessie sighed as she turned on the shower. She stood in the shower for a while before she started washing her body. A few minutes later, she was done bathing. She dried herself with a towel. She looked around the bathroom and noticed that she didn't bring any clothes to change into. She took the towel and wrapped it around herself before she left the bathroom.

"You are…" Michael stopped abruptly. He stood still with his words caught up in his mouth. His eyes roamed all over Jessie's body. 

"Do you like what you are seeing?" Jessie teased.

Michael's face turned red. He coughed and averted his eyes from Jessie. 

"Are you blushing?" Jessie grinned at him.

"No, I'm not," Michael mumbled

"You are so cute." Jessie pinched his cheeks lightly, but Michael scowled at her, which made Jessie burst into laughter. 

Jessie quickly went to her drawer and picked her clothes. She made her way to the restroom and put it on. When she was done changing, both headed downstairs. 

 ****

"We thought you guys were not coming down for breakfast," Elena said once they entered the dining room.  

"We are here now." Michael smiled.

They settled down on the chair and began eating. Michael, on the other hand, couldn't get the image of Jessie in a towel out of his mind. Even when his family was interacting with each other, he couldn't make any valuable contribution. His eyes remained on Jessie. When he finally averted his eyes from her, he saw Raguel smirking at him. Michael shook his head and smiled. 

After they were done with breakfast, Raguel quickly pulled Michael aside. "What is it?"  

"You look thrilled."

"Yes, I am."

"Have you talked with Jessie?"

"Yes, I have."  

"That's Good. Let's sit down." Raguel led the way to the living room. "So, what's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"Your eyes were completely on Jessie during breakfast."

"Ain't I suppose to look at her?"

"Yes, you are, but not when it felt like you were undressing her with your eyes." Raguel smiled.

"I didn't look at her like that," Michael denied, biting his lips.

"You should have seen your face at the dining table. I'm convinced if none of us were sitting there, you would have undressed her for real."

"Stop it." Michael's face turned crimson from embarrassment.

Raguel laughed hard, seeing how embarrassed Michael looked. "Okay, I will stop talking." Raguel put up his hands in surrender. 

****

Jessie was in the kitchen, tidying things up before Elena walked up to her.

"I'm truly sorry for what Ariel said to you yesterday."

"So, you did get an answer out of Ariel. It's fine, Elena. No need to apologize. I  said those things, and I promise I'm not angry at her." Jessie placed her hand on Elena's shoulder. 

"Are you certain? I can go get Ariel here, so she can apologize to you."  

"There will be no need for that. There is nothing to apologize for. If I were in her shoes and the person I care about was hurt, I would do anything possible to stop it from happening again.” 

Elena nodded her head, and Jessie smiled at her before she continued what she was doing. She left for the living room after she was done.  She ruffled her sister's hair as she sat next to her. "Did you sleep well?" 

"Yes, I did. I'm guessing you slept well too.” Sunshine smiled. 

"Not really." 

"Why not? You were with Michael all through the night. He had his arms wrapped around you."

"How did you know he had his arms around me?" 

"I came to check on you last night."

" Really?” Jessie raised her eyebrows. “You are behaving like my mother.”

Sunshine shrugged. "So, how are things going on with Michael?"

"Great!" Jessie sometimes found it hard to believe that her sister was just six years old because she acted too mature for her age. Jessie averted her eyes from her sister, and her gaze immediately rested on Michael, who was already staring at her. She smiled at him, but he motioned for her to come to him.

Jessie walked to Michael and sat next to him. She rested her head on his shoulder, and Michael wrapped his arms around her. Everything at that moment felt right. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.  

 ****

Michael stood near the window in their room. When Jessie had fallen asleep, he had carried her to the room. Michael had so many thoughts going through his mind. He walked back to the bed. He leaned in and kissed her forehead. Michael was certain he was doing the right thing. The decision he had made would change their lives. He just hoped Jessie would be okay with his decision.