chapter 9

Jessie's eyes snapped open. Her body was covered in a cold sweat. Her heart pounded loudly in her chest. Scared, she wrapped her arms around herself. The nightmare she had flashed in her mind.  Jessie's body shook with fear as she remembered her sister screaming for help before she was killed. 

 “I can't lose her too. She is all I have.” Tears slipped down her face. “I need to find my sister.”

Jessie stood up from the mattress and made her way to the bathroom. She stripped down her garments and turned on the shower. She sighed as the water touched her skin.  Jessie stood in the shower for some time before she began to scrub her body. After she was done, she dried her body and put on her clothes.

“I need to leave now before anybody comes in here,” Jessie whispered.

She went straight for her window and peeped down.

“Gosh, I hope I don't fall and break my legs.” She took in a deep breath. “It’s now or never, Jessie,” she encouraged herself.  

 But before she could take her first step, she heard a knock on her door. 

 “Really?” she huffed.

She quickly closed the window before she answered the door. Jessie had expected Elena, but to her surprise, Ariel was standing outside with a smile on her face.

“Good morning,” Ariel chirped. 

“Good morning,” Jessie replied. 

“Well, Mom asked me to call you. Breakfast is served,” she announced.

 “Oh,” Jessie stated and glanced at her window. 'I need to find Sunshine,’ she mumbled to herself. “I will skip breakfast,” she said aloud.

“No, you won't,” Ariel said sternly, which made Jessie raise her eyebrow at her. “Breakfast is necessary for the body, and it's not good to skip them,” Ariel lectured. “Let's go downstairs.” She pulled Jessie out of her room before the latter could protest.

                               ***

Elena looked at the hold her daughter had on Jessie as they both walked down the stairs. “Why are you pulling Jessie?” she asked.

Ariel let go of Jessie's hand. “Well, she was refusing to come downstairs for breakfast. So, I had to pull her here,” Ariel explained.

Elena gave her daughter a stern look before she turned to face Jessie. “I'm sorry about her behavior. But she's right; it's not good to skip breakfast.”

Jessie nodded her head with a soft smile before she sat down. “Where is everyone?” she noticed some family members were not present. 

“Raguel, Raphael, and Michael went out early this morning. My parents are still in their room,” Elena explained. 

“Why didn't you call your parents to join us for breakfast?” Jessie asked. 

“Well, they are having a good time, you know,” Elena said with raised eyebrows.

Jessie chuckled as she shook her head slightly.

 “Mom!” Ariel cried out. “Stop embarrassing Grandma.” 

 “She does that a lot to your father and me. It’s just payback,” Elena laughed. “I can't wait to see her face when she comes downstairs,” she grinned. 

Jessie chuckled. They heard the front door open with Raguel, Raphael, and Michael coming inside with a grin on their faces. Michael slightly shook his head at Elena.