chapter 12

Michael ran his fingers down Jessie's arms. He watched her sleep soundly. He was delighted as Jessie was sleeping properly. She had woken up so many times at night because she kept on having nightmares. Michael sighed and tried to stand up from the mattress, but Jessie held onto him tightly.

He peeped to see if Jessie was awake. However, her eyes were still closed. Michael didn't struggle. He rested his back and continued to stare at Jessie as she slept.

A few minutes later, he heard a knock on the door.  Michael glanced at Jessie, who didn't stir at the sound.

“Come in,” Michael said.

Michael watched Elena enter the room and shut the door behind her back.

“Jessie do...” Elena trailed off when she turned around and noticed Michael in the room. Her eyes moved to Michael’s hands wrapped around Jessie. Elena didn't know what to say, so she just stared at him. 

Michael knew how the scene seemed to be like; holding onto Jessie whilst she slept would send a different message to someone looking at them. He didn't care what Elena thought about the position they were in.  

“Jessie is still sleeping,” Elena said softly. She didn't know what else to say. Different thoughts were running through her mind.  

Michael nodded his head.  “She didn't get enough sleep last night. She kept on having nightmares,” he explained.

“You were here all night?” Elena asked. 

“Yes.” 

“I guess I have to leave her to sleep then,” Elena said.

Michael nodded his head. He watched Elena leave and close the door.  

It took another hour before Jessie started to wake up. She felt comfortable, and she wondered why. Then Jessie felt a finger trailing down her arm, and that's when she remembered she had asked Michael to stay with her.

Jessie was sincerely surprised Michael was still in the room with her.  Moreover, Jessie had woken up and snuggled further into him, pressing her face to his side.

‘I can stay right here forever,’ she thought to herself.

“Are you awake, Jessie?” Michael asked. 

Jessie refused to answer the question. She wanted to stay in bed with Michael, so she remained silent.  

She heard Michael chuckle. "I know you are awake, Jessie,” Michael said. 

Jessie groaned and rolled off Michael. She sat up straight and stared at him.

“Good morning,” Michael greeted.

“Good morning,” Jessie replied.

“I didn't guess you would still be here,” Jessie said.

“Do you think I would have left you when you were having a terrible time sleeping?” Michael asked. 

“No, but- ”

“I'm sorry about yesterday, Jessie,” Michael said, cutting her off.

 “No. I should be the one apologizing,” Jessie said. 

“You don't need to apologize. I understand you acted out of fear, and I'm sorry for raising my voice at you,” Michael apologized.

“I'm sorry too,” Jessie whispered.

“Raguel and I captured a demon yesterday,” Michael announced. 

“Really? Did he say anything about my sister?” She asked quickly.