Chapter 19

It had been two weeks since Michael and Jessie got together, well, not really together because Michael was yet to confess his feelings for her. He felt Jessie had a lot on her mind, and she still had Sunshine to think about. Sunshine's nightmares stopped after she talked with the Angel Raguel brought along, but Michael observed that Jessie was distant, and he knew it was not because of Sunshine, and it worried him. 

Michael was very determined to find out what was going on with her. Though he had tried talking to her before, Jessie always changed the topic, but he wasn't going to let that happen again, even if he had to force the answer out from her. 

Michael glanced at the stairs when he heard footsteps. He gave Jessie a smile when their eyes met, but instead of returning the smile, she averted her eyes. Michael regrettably sighed when Jessie averted her eyes from him. 'I wonder what is wrong with her?' 

"Hey, Michael," Sunshine greeted and sat next to him.  

"Hi."

"Are you alright?" Sunshine asked. 

Michael smiled. He had noticed that Sunshine was very observant for her young age. She always knew when something was wrong. She was very confident, and you wouldn't know she was the scared kid who was rescued from the Demon’s zone. 

Michael didn't want to lie to her about being fine. "I will be fine, Sunshine," he eventually said. 

"You can talk to me about anything, and I will surely understand."  

"You are six," Michael pointed out.

"So?" Sunshine pouted

"I can't talk about everything with you."

"Why? I may be a child, but I'm sensible, and I can see what is going on."

Michael looked at Sunshine as if she had two heads.

"Don't look at me like that." Sunshine rolled her eyes. "I have seen the way you look at my sister, and I can tell you like her."

Michael chuckled. "Good observation." 

Sunshine grinned. "So, are you going to tell me what is wrong with you? Is this about my sister?"

"Yes.”

"Then you have to talk to her." 

"I will."

"Don't forget to tell her about your feelings too," Sunshine whispered before Jessie called her to the dining table. Sunshine winked at Michael before she hurried to the dining table. 

Michael smiled before he stood up and walked to the dining room. During breakfast, Michael would sometimes glance at Jessie, and most of the time, he would find her playing with her food. She also looked disturbed. After breakfast, he watched Jessie disappear into the kitchen. He was about to follow her, but he was stopped by Sunshine.

"What is it?” Michael asked, but he still had his eyes glued in the direction of the kitchen.

"Let's take a stroll." 

"Hmm....okay. We should inform your sister.”

"I have told her. Now let's go." Sunshine pulled him to the door. 

Michael sighed a little and looked in the direction of the kitchen one last time before they left.

                         ***** 

Jessie stood close to the window in her bedroom as she stared at nothing in particular. She allowed Sunshine to go with Michael because she needed space to think. Jessie had noticed that Sunshine and Michael had gotten close, and Sunshine sometimes preferred Michael's company to hers. She breathed before she walked back to sit on her bed.  Things with Michael had been going on very well over the previous weeks. However, she was aware that she had been distant, but she had a reason for it.