chapter 4

Michael would sometimes look at Jessie as he sat in the living room watching the film on the screen. He heard her giggle when a humorous scene was played in the movie. He turned his head to look at her and saw the fantastic smile playing on her lips. He averted his eyes from her. 

There is simply something in me that desires her to smile often. But why?’ he asked himself. 

He mentally shook his head when he could no longer arrive at any sensible conclusion. He later gave his full attention to the movie. 

When the film ended, Jessie returned to her room. She sat on the bed, and her thoughts drifted to her sister. A tear slipped down her face. 

“I cannot believe I was so careless about your safety. I should have never left you alone. It is all my fault you were taken away.”  

More tears slipped down her face. She wiped her face, stood up from the mattress, and paced around the room for a few minutes before she stopped by the window. Jessie saw Grey and Ariel standing outside, and she remembered when Grey's eyes had flashed red. 

“I have never seen anything like that before. Is it common with angels when they are angry?” She queried. 

                             ***** 

Michael was seated in the living room, staring into space, when Raguel approached him.

“Hey,” Raguel said as he sat down next to Michael.

“Hi,” Michael replied with a smile.

Raguel was quiet for some time, studying his friend, which Michael noticed.

“What is it, Raguel?” Michael asked.

“I wanted to ask… forget it,” Raguel muttered.

“Spill it out, Raguel,” Michael said as he turned to face his friend.

“At the dining table, you asked Jessie to eat more. Why?”

“She needs it,” Michael said. He did not desire to tell Raguel the actual reason behind it. He knew Jessie would not like people to know that beneath those garments of hers, she was skinny.

Raguel looked at his friend; he could tell that Michael wasn’t telling him everything, but he didn’t persuade him further. “Okay,” Raguel later said. 

Michael was grateful that Raguel didn’t push him for more. He mentally sighed as he rested his lower back on the couch. 

“Michael?” Raguel called out after a few minutes. 

“Yes?” 

“Is something troubling you?” Raguel asked. 

Michael wanted to say ‘yes’ but he couldn’t. “No,” he eventually said.

“I’ll be here when you want to talk,” Raguel said. He didn’t believe Michael's words. 

“Okay,” Michael said as he watched Raguel leave. 

 Michael stood up from the sofa and made his way upstairs. He passed through the corridor and stopped at Jessie's door. He almost brought his hand to knock on the door, but he stopped midway. He shoved his hand in his pocket and walked away. He made his way downstairs. He walked to the front door and noticed Grey and Ariel standing outside with their hands locked together. He smiled softly at them.

“Hey,” Michael said as he moved closer to them. 

“Hi, Uncle Michael,” Ariel said with a smile.