Chapter 18

Jessie sat on her bed whilst she watched her sister sleep. It was a rough night for them since Sunshine woke up so many times because she had nightmares. Jessie sighed as she stood up from the mattress and made her way to the bathroom. She closed the door quietly so as not to wake her sister up. She knew her sister needed all the rest she could get.

When she entered the bathroom, she stared at her reflection in the mirror, and a smile crept on her lips. She recollected the kiss she had shared with Michael. It wasn't her first kiss, though, but it was the best kiss she had ever had. She remembered the way Michael's lips pressed against hers. 'What are you doing, Jessie?' She knew Michael had a soulmate but couldn't deny the feelings she had for him. She was aware that her feelings for Michael would be crushed if he found his soulmate. 'God help me when that happens.'

Jessie thought of a way to help her sister through her nightmares, but she couldn't come up with anything logical. Feeling annoyed, she turned off the shower and dried her body before she walked out of the bathroom. When she entered the bedroom, she saw her sister up and seated on the bed, staring at nothing.

Jessie shook her head slightly before she put on her clothes and joined her sister on the bed.

Sunshine met her sister's eyes and gave her a tiny smile.

"Good morning."

"Good morning to you too," Jessie answered cheerfully. "You know you can still get some more sleep." She looked at her sister's tired eyes, but Sunshine shook her head. "Alright, go take your bath, so we can go downstairs for breakfast."

Sunshine stood up from the bed and went to the bathroom. A few minutes later, she was dressed, and they headed downstairs.

When they reached down, breakfast wasn't served. So, Jessie figured Elena was still in the kitchen. "Go sit in the living room while I go help Elena out with preparing breakfast."

"Let me come with you," Sunshine said

"No, go and sit down."

"But-"

"Don't argue, Sunshine."

"Hey, what's going on?" Michael asked

"Nothing. Sunshine is just stubborn."

"I'm not stubborn."

"Leave Jess alone and come with me to the living room."

"Did you just call my sister Jess? It's that your nickname for her?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Maybe," Michael said with a smile as he looked at Jessie, who was staring at him. He winked at her before he grabbed Sunshine's hand and walked to the living room.

"Jess," Jessie whispered with a smile before she left for the kitchen.

"Good morning," Elena greeted when Jessie entered the kitchen.

"Good morning."

"How was your night?"

"Not too good."

"Sunshine is still having nightmares, right?"

"Yes. Honestly, I don't know what to do. It's telling on her. She is looking pale, and she's no longer the cheerful person I once knew."

Elena nodded her head. "I think you should take her to the hospital."

" I have thought about that, but I doubt that will be possible. They will think my sister is crazy if she begins to speak about demons. To other humans, demons don't exist."