chapter 6

The next morning, Jessie woke to feel a little worn-out because she woke up so many times at night, thinking about her sister and, additionally, Michael. 

She stood up from her bed and went to the bathroom. She stripped her clothes and stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her hands ran through her hair.  A sigh escaped her lips before she averted her eyes from the mirror.  Jessie turned on the shower and stood still for a while before she started washing her body.

When she was done, she put off the shower and put on her clothes before leaving her room. When she went downstairs, she saw Elena in the kitchen and decided to join her.

“Good morning,” Jessie said.

“Good morning,” Elena said with a smile.

“You’re up early,” Elena said. 

Jessie shrugged.

“Unable to sleep?” Elena asked, looking at the bags Jessie had below her eyes.

“No,” Jessie whispered. “Can I help you with anything?” she asked. 

“Yes, you can chop the onions,” Elena said, gesturing to it.  

“Okay, “Jessie said.

When they were still preparing breakfast, Anna walked in on them, making Jessie look up to her as she greeted them.

“Good morning,” Anna said. 

“Good morning,” both Jessie and Elena said in unison.

“How was your night, Jessie? “Anna asked. 

“Fine, I guess,” Jessie replied. “I did not get much sleep,” she added.

“Oh, I can see that,” Anna said with a smile. “I hope you are okay.” 

“Yes, I am,” Jessie answered quickly. She knew she did not sound convincing, but she felt happy when both Anna or Elena did not press her further with any questions. 

After they were done making breakfast, Jessie helped set the dining table before she sat down with the rest of the family. 

Michael still wasn’t present in the dining room. Jessie wondered if he was avoiding her.  

Isn't that what you want?’ A voice in her head spoke. 

That was what she desired at first, but now she was no longer sure. She dug her spoon into her plate and started eating her meal quietly.

After breakfast, she helped with the dishes and went straight to her bedroom. She sat down on her mattress; however, she was feeling uncomfortable.  She stood up and walked to the window. She saw Michael, who still had his wings out. She stared at him and got lost at the moment.

‘I wish I could run my fingers through his wings. They look soft, and I bet they will feel tender too,’ she thought to herself.

Jessie sighed and left the window to make her way to her mattress.  She laid down, and it didn't take a minute before her eyelids got heavy. Within no time, she drifted off to sleep. 

                            ****

 Raguel noticed Samael seated on the sofa and made his way to him. 

“Hi, Samael,” Raguel said as he settled next to him. “Did you talk with Michael?” He asked. 

“I did,” Samael said. 

“So, what did he say?” Raguel asked. 

“Nothing much,” Samael replied. “He only admitted that something was bothering him, but he did not say exactly what was bothering him,” he added.