chapter 8

Jessie opened her eyes and rolled on her bed for some time before she sat up and checked the time.

 “It's still early,” she sighed as her thoughts drifted to Michael.  “I have a crush on him,” she admitted. “I know nothing can ever happen between us. It's just a silly crush, and I'm sure it will fade away soon. And, besides, he’ll meet his soulmate soon, and I'm certain Michael does not feel the same way about me.”  She closed her eyes and fantasized about the things she would have loved to have with Michael.

Jessie opened her eyes an hour later. She fell asleep when fantasizing about Michael. She tried to stand up but winced in pain. Her neck was a little stiff from the way she positioned it while sleeping. It took a few minutes before the pain subsided, and she stood up from her bed before she went to the bathroom. 

She stripped off her clothes and stared at her reflection. Her fingers trailed around her body.

“I’ve put on some weight ever since I came here,” she mumbled. “This place is good. However, I know I can't continue to stay here always. When I find my sister, we will have to leave this place. And leave Michael too,” she said in a whisper. “Gosh, I hope this stupid crush I have on him fades away soon.”  She sighed as she averted her eyes from the mirror.

She turned on the shower and sighed in contentment when the water touched her skin. 

“This is what I need right now to keep my mind from drifting off to Michael,” she muttered as she enjoyed her bath.

After she was done with her shower, she put on her clothes and made her way downstairs.

 “Good morning,” Jessie said to Elena right after the former entered the kitchen.

“Good morning,” Elena said as she turned to face her. She observed Jessie for a while. “You seem to be in a good mood,” she added.  

 Jessie nodded her head with a smile playing on her lips. 

 “Do you want to share what put you in this good mood?” Elena raised her brows while placing the knife down that she previously held, giving Jessie her full attention. 

“Nope,” Jessie said with a smile.

“Okay, then, but I will be here when you are ready to talk,” Elena said. 

“I will keep that in mind.” 

Both Jessie and Elena talked about random things and laughed about them together as they cooked breakfast. 

 When they finished getting breakfast ready, they served the meals. The entire family settled down at the dining table. Jessie kept stealing glances at Michael as she ate her food. She simply couldn't take her eyes off him. She shook her head as she tried her best to concentrate on her meal instead of staring at the good-looking man sitting opposite her.

After breakfast, Jessie took the dishes to the kitchen.

“Hey, Jessie,” Ariel said. 

“Hi,” Jessie said back with a smile. 

“You do not have to do the dishes. I will wash them,” Ariel said. 

“Don't worry; I can do them,” Jessie said.

“No. You helped prepare breakfast. So, I should do the dishes,” Ariel argued. 

“Fine; we will do the dishes together,” Jessie said. 

 “Okay,” Ariel happily agreed.

They commenced washing the dishes quietly; however, all of a sudden, Ariel burst into laughter, making Jessie look at her