chapter 3

Jessie rolled on the bed. She was unable to sleep. So many thoughts had been running through her mind. Though the angels had offered her a place to stay, she still didn’t trust them. But there was something about their presence that made her comfortable. That was the reason she stayed. Well, the presence of a certain person was all one part of the reason.

Jessie shook her head. “Nothing can ever happen between us. Not that I'm hoping for anything. It’s useless to hope for such a thing.” 

She sat on the bed, and her stomach growled.  Jessie stood up from the mattress and walked to the door. She opened it gently so as not to wake anybody up. She peeped through the corridor to ensure nobody was in sight. When she was certain the coast was clear, she sighed in relief. She closed the door without making a sound and made her way to the kitchen.

When she went downstairs, she looked around for a few seconds before she entered the kitchen. 

“What are you doing?”

Jessie jumped and clutched her chest in fright. She turned and saw Michael watching her with his arms crossed over his chest. 

“You scared the hell out of me.” She tried to catch her breath, glaring at him. 

“What are you doing here?” Michael repeated his question.

“Well, as you can see, this is a kitchen. What do you think I’m doing?” 

Michael clenched his jaw. His lips were shut tight, with the red margin of his lips becoming narrower and thinner. 

“I'm hungry. That's why I'm here.” Jessie gave up trying to play smart with him. She didn't want to start a fight. It was obvious that the angel was angry. 

Michael looked like he was trying to read her. After a few seconds, he nodded. “Elena left you some food in the refrigerator.” Michael pointed towards the direction of the appliance. 

Jessie smiled as she took the food out of the refrigerator.  She heated the food. She didn’t spare Michael a look before digging into the plate of food. 

This food is delicious,’ she thought.

Michael's eyes roamed over Jessie's body as she ate her food. After a few minutes, he raised his eyes from her body and found Jessie gazing at him. 

Jessie self-consciously dropped her gaze to the ground. ‘I should have put on that large shirt. I hate it when people stare at my body,’ she said to herself.

Jessie lost her appetite. All she wanted to do was to go back to the solace of her bedroom.

“Sorry,” Michael mumbled.

Jessie nodded her head, but she was no longer hungry. She wished he’d leave her alone. She quickly washed the dishes, all the while glancing back to check if Michael was still standing there. 

‘Don’t he need to sleep? Maybe angels don’t sleep.’ That was the thought running through her mind.

“Thanks for the food.”  She hurried out of the dining room before Michael could respond.

Michael watched her leave. When he heard her door close, he sat down. ‘There’s something about her that I have can’t seem to figure out,’ he thought in his head.

                       ****

The subsequent morning, Jessie was still lying on the mattress, but she was not asleep. She felt so cozy on the bed. It had been a long time since she had slept well. She took in a deep breath and closed her eyes for a few seconds before she heard a knock on the door. She stood up and went for the door.