The New Boy

I flipped through the digital comic book on my phone while eating some chips. I was on my Instagram and noticed that Demetri had liked all of my recent photos. I smiled to myself. 

"Is it cool if I sit here?" Said a new voice, and the three of us looked up to see a boy who was most likely new.

"Ooh, sorry, table's really blowing up right now." Demetri said sarcastically. I rolled my eyes while wiping my face with a napkin. The poor boy looked so confused but complied to what he was saying. "I can put you on the wait list but it's probably next semester at the earliest."

"Uh, o-okay." The boy said. He turned and took a single step before Demetri said, "I'm kidding sit."

The boy sat down and swung his backpack over his shoulder and set it next to him. "Miguel. I'm new here." He said introducing himself.

"No shi—" Demetri started before I elbowed him in his rib cage. He held his side and glared over at me.

"Demetri. That's Y/N and this is Eli. He's a man of few words." Demetri explained as Eli looked down at his patterned sweater.

Demetri then plucked at his pudding with his spork as I got back on my phone and opened the comic app again. Next thing I know, Miguel is dropping his jaw as Yasmine and Samantha LaRusso walked by. She's okay; she'd said 'hi' to me once in the hallway before Yasmine would whisk her away and throw a scowl my way. I was more acquaintance with her and was closer with her friend Aisha, but even then, we don't talk very much. So, naturally, I'm not the crazy fan girl kind who kisses the ground they walk on, unlike Demetri, although he won't admit it. Everyone knows he does, though.

"Dude, don't torture yourself. Those are the rich girls." Demetri explained to him.

"Do you ever talk to them or..." Miguel asked.

I let out a little scoff laugh as Demetri said sarcastically, "Oh yeah, all the time. We hang out after school, make out, give each other hand jobs. Eli here is the homecoming king! Gets laid more than anyone, isn't that right, Eli?" Eli smiled at him. "And Y/N, well...."

I punched his shoulder harshly and he let out a quiet yelp. "Speak for yourself, dick." I said to him. He shook his arm and cradled it while his jaw still hung ajar, scowling at me with one eye. I gave him a sly smile. "Talk to them?" He continued. "You realize what table you're sitting at, right? You've pretty much sighed away all hopes of losing your virginity before college. Well.... except for Y/N."

"Oh shit. Yasmine's looking at us. She's probably just making fun of me." Eli said softly.

I looked over and saw Yasmine looking at us with a disgusted expression on her face. She was also laughing in what looked like a cruel way. I rolled my eye again.

"I don't think she's making fun of you, just because they're hot doesn't mean they're mean." Miguel said.

"You've got a lot to learn." I commented.

"What do you mean?" Miguel asked me.

"They're single-handedly the worst people you'll ever meet, the only decent people at that table are Samantha LaRusso and Moon." I explained to him.

"I mean, he is sort of right. There are a few hot girls who aren't mean, I mean, look at you. You're hot and nice." Demetri said looking over at me.

"Aw, good for you." I said sarcastically. "But we all know I'm the only 'hot girl' who gonna talk to you, Demi." I had nicknamed him that in the middle of 8th grade and I've been using it ever since.

He rolled his eyes at me and looked back over at Yasmine's table. "I don't care if Yasmine's the meanest girl in school. I'd kill all three of you just to get her to spit in my face." Demetri said dreamily.

"Two things, one: that's disgusting and two: you've got terrible taste in women." I said honestly.

He looked over at me, raised his eyebrow and then said, "I wouldn't mind you doing it to me."

"Ha, in your dreams, dick." I said laughing but truly I love Demetri, as much as he's annoying and sort of a rude dick, I love him and always have.

We looked back at Miguel who was talking. "If you don't make a move, you'll never have a shot with her." He said to Demetri. I burst out laughing at Miguel's comment. They looked over at me before Demetri responded.

"True, but I'll also never suffer a humiliating rejection. I'm at peace with my depression. Last thing I need is to be suicidal." Demetri said.

"Ain't that the truth." I said laughing.

After five seconds of pure silence, Miguel stood up.

"What are you doing?" Demetri asked him.

"Striking first." Miguel replied.

Eli, Demetri and I all stared at Miguel as he approached their table. As he was about to make it to their table, Kyler and his goons crashed the table. Miguel immediately retreated as Kyler slightly waved teasingly at him.

"So, how'd it go?" Demetri asked sarcastically. Miguel didn't answer him.

"At least you tried, Miguel." I said to him.

"Yeah, at least you tried and failed miserably." Demetri said sarcastically.

"Like you're one to talk. You've never even made an attempt to talk to Yasmine." I argued.

Eli chuckled and Demetri shot him a glare. The bell rang and we left in different directions. The walk to math was silent between Demetri and I. We entered the classroom and sat down next to each other. He smirked at me because he knew I hated math. I was extremely bad at it. It's a good thing Demetri's smart so he can help me. The rest of the school day dragged on and before I knew it, I was walking home with Demetri like how we've been doing since he found out where my house was.

His house came before mine so I had to walked down a few houses alone. I used the key to open my front door then locked it once I was inside. My parents are both doctors so they work long sifts and my brother and sister are both in college. My brother's in New York and my sister's in England. I entered my room and shut the door behind me. I didn't have much homework seeing as I finished most of it in study hall. I only had a few math problems to finish but they were simple enough that I was done in about ten minutes. I was extremely tired so I just closed my blinds and went to sleep.