The Halloween Dance

A few days later, it was coming close to the Halloween dance and Halloween itself. We were sitting in lunch the day before the dance while our guidance counselor was giving a speech about cyberbullying. I was reading a book with my head on Demetri's shoulder. He'd never minded it; we've been doing such things for years now but I could feel his hand moving to my waist. That was new.

"Cyberbullying is no laughing matter." She said. "Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face. I'm not gonna name names but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity."

I bit my bottom lip as I looked up at Eli. He ducked his head down in shame and covered his lip as the kids around our table whispered among themselves. Demetri had a sorrowful expression on his face as he continued to listen to Counselor Blatt's lecture.

"If you're sick of getting bullied by karate dojo's looking for recruits." Miguel said.

"Yeah right. You hear that guys? A little karate training and you're gonna kick some major ass." Demetri said sarcastically. I lifted my head a bit to elbow him hard in the arm. He grabbed his arm and worded, 'Ow' to me. I gave him a really angry expression and he looked back at Miguel as I rested my head back on his shoulder.

"I'm serious Demetri. I'm sure I could get you all discounts." Miguel argued.

"As enticing as that sounds, I think we'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control and watching Star Wars then getting kicked in the face."

"I don't know, could be fun." I said honestly.

"Wow so, you'd rather betray me and Eli to get kicked in the face? Me and Eli?" He said as I lifted my head off his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around a chuckling Eli.

"I do have more of a life than playing video games and watching Gordon Ramsay and Dr. Phil on YouTube, thank you very much." I said rolling my eyes and leaning in my chair while bringing my phone out.

"Well, don't come crying to me when you get a black eye and a broken arm." Demetri said.

"Well, don't come crying to me the next time Kyler hits on you." I said to him.

"But he's straight."

"You know what I mean."

The bell rang and Demetri and I headed off to math yet again. He nudged my arm. "What are you going to the dance as?" He asked me.

"I think I might just wear jeans and a shirt again." I said laughing.

"You're no fun." He said chuckling.

After school, the next day, I quickly got ready and Demetri's mom drove Eli, Demetri and I to the dance. I stood with them in a small circle as we waited for Miguel.

"Skeleton. Classic." Demetri said to Miguel.

"Thanks. I like you sorcerer costume." Miguel said to him.

"Sorcerer? Please. I'm a necromancer? Have you ever seen the Amulet?" Demetri asked.

They were talking about dancing with some girls over in the middle of the dance floor but they were extremely hesitate. As much as I hated Demetri, I also had a major crush on him. That's why I was always so jealous of his crush on Yasmine because I knew I had no shot as long as Yasmine was in the picture.

"Come on guys, let's ask the dragon queens to dance." Miguel suggested.

Eli and Demetri were still hesitating about it. I sighed and took a deep breath. Another boy went up to one of the girls and they started dancing. Miguel, Eli and Demetri all sighed. I simply rolled my eyes. I looked down at my phone, I'd been texting Robby the whole time just so he had someone to talk to. Robby had dropped out of school recently and so he never came to school events. Robby had a lot of problems with his home life. He had a mom who was never around, a dad who didn't care about him and was never around either and he terrible, troublemaking friends who had convinced Robby into doing bad things like drug and stealing. Truthfully, I was Robby's only true friend and he didn't like the things he'd done in his life as well as his friends. But he couldn't walk away now, at least, that's what he told himself.

"Demetri, do you want to dance?" I asked him.

His face turned bright red and he was struggling with words which was something I didn't know could happen to Demetri. "Um, I-I." He stuttered. He simply nodded and we went to the dance floor. I put my hands around his neck and he blushed even bright and looked everywhere except for me.

"Why are you so nervous?" I asked him. He turned his head to look down at me and turned even more red than before. "Um, I-I never danced with a girl b-before." He said to me. I smiled at him. "It's okay, just think of it as a friendly way so you're not nervous." He nodded but mustn't have wanted that because he rested his forehead against mine. I blushed a little and could feel Eli and Miguel smiling from across the room.

"Y/N, I don't understand. Why me?" Demetri asked me.

"I-I um. D-Demi. I." I stuttered more than intended.

"Yes." He said smirking, cheeks red. I had a very strong feeling he knew about my feelings for him. But I also knew as long as Yasmine lived, he'd never be with me. No matter how his heart felt. I could feel my body heat raising and heat racing. I didn't want to let him see that I liked him so I sighed.

"Yasmine's a lucky girl." I said and let go of his neck. I walked over to Aisha, my heart still racing. I looked back and saw Demetri sigh and walked back to Eli and Miguel. The three talked for a while and then went bathroom. I went after then before hearing roaring laughter coming from the gym. I looked down at my phone and it was a notification with a link to Yasmine's snapchat. I opened it and there was a picture of Aisha with a terrible caption that was cruel and hurtful.

I looked up to see Demetri and Eli racing out of the boy's locker room and bathroom. I looked at them confused and said, "What happened?"

"Kyler and his goons. Miguel is still in there." Eli said.

I went to go run in but Demetri held me back. An older, middle-aged man went into the bathroom as Demetri held me tightly. I struggled against his grip which was surprisingly strong. I elbowed him and he yelped out in pain. He didn't let go through.

"Demetri, let me go!" I yelled.

"I can't do that. I'm not letting Kyler and his goons hurt you. I'm sorry." He said through my struggling.

The middle-aged man came out carrying Miguel who was beaten, bruised and bleeding. I stopped struggling, turned my body to face Demetri's and dug my face into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me as I sobbed into his body causing the front of his costume to become wet. He rested his chin on my head and glanced over at Eli who had a little smirk on his face from our moment. I released from our hug and he wiped the wet tears from my face as I calmed down. I went with the man and Miguel to take him home. I sat in the front seat with the man; Miguel laded on the back seat asleep and hurt.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked the older man.

"He'll be alright. I used to get in fights like this all the time and I survived. Well, actually I was the one kicking ass but everyone I beat up recovered so..." He replied, his voice trailing off. My legs were shaking from all my nerves and everything that had happened in the pasted hour or two or maybe even three. I'd danced with Demetri, saw the cruel message sent my Yasmine, watched a strange man carry one of my best friends out of the bathroom, sobbed into Demetri's chest and now I was in the car of that strange man with an injured Miguel in the back seat.

"Who are you?" I asked him.

"Johnny Lawrence. Miguel's sensi."

We pulled into the same apartment complexity as me. Miguel did in fact live very close to me. We got out of the car and took Miguel to his mother, Carman and his grandma, Rosa.