The Mall Fight

"The whole fence?" He asked me shocked.

"Yup." I said as Daniel walked up to us.

"But that's like 12 hundred square feet." Demetri said protesting.

"Times two." I said correcting him.

"What?"

"Times two, you forgot about the other side."

He sighed. "Okay, I get it, you're teaching me muscle memory. Do the movement a couple of times and you'll develop unconscious karate technique. How about we just cut to the chase and you show me the moves?" Demetri said. Daniel simply patted Demetri's back and walked off. Demetri looked to me and I smirked.

"You can't cheat you're way out of this one, Demi. You got this, you're fine." I said as I walked off.

I watched as the week continued as Daniel tried his best to teach Demetri. No matter what they tried, Demetri had an excuse for why he couldn't do it or why he wasn't very good at it. I made me start to wonder why he was even here if he wasn't going to actually try. I've always known Demetri to stick to his opinion on something no matter what so what happened to karate was like extra gym class for no reason? The week finished as Robby and Sam finished working on the wheel technique and Demetri had finished his muscle memory training. Demetri and I watched Sam and Robby practice as Daniel came up to us.

"Are we doing skins versus shirts?" Demetri asked in response to Robby's bare chest and Sam's covered one. They looked over at him and Sam gave me a look. Robby and Sam had both learned to except Demetri's awkward and nerdy behavior as I had learned to.

"Y/N, Demetri, I want you two to try it together." Daniel said to us. Demetri looked over at me and I thought about his comment before. I didn't say anything. I didn't need to because he did.

"I would prefer to be a shirt, not that you have to be a skin. I support you're right to choose." He said to me. I smiled at him awkwardly and got a grin from Robby who had climbed off the platform with Sam.

"I guess we're doing this." I said to Demetri.

"Guess so." He replied. I slipped off my cop top hoodie so I was just wearing my grey shirt. Then I took off  my shoes and he did the same with his shoes. We slowly got into the pond and went towards the middle of the cold water to the platform. We slowly and carefully got up so neither of us would fall and also so we could balance each other out. I got the balance to stand up and we wobbled around before trying to start the routine. Daniel, Sam and Robby watched us as we tried it out. We turned together but when we kicked our legs up, we both went falling into the water. It was cold and like ice as we came back up to the surface. Our whole bodies were wet and our hair was dripping wet. Demetri moved his hair back out of his eyes and so did I. We looked at each other, both soaking wet.

"What do we do now?" I asked.

"You try again." Daniel replied.

"Mr. L, do you know how much bacteria could be in here? We could all die from it." Demetri said.

"Demetri, all you do is complain. Do you want to be here?" Daniel asked him.

"Not really." He answered honestly.

"Then, why are you here?"

Demetri sighed then said, "My whole life I've been, let's just say, less than popular. But at least I had a few friends. Then, Cobra Kai comes to town and next thing I know, all my friends are talking karate and becoming alpha jerks. I'm literally being threatened by my best friend. I just.... wanted to prove I could fight back."

I looked over at Demetri with compassion. I had a feeling I knew who this best friend was. Ever since Cobra Kai opened up, Eli had been changing and it wasn't in the best way.

"I understand what you're going through, Demetri. Really, I do. But Miyagi-Do karate is about self—" Daniel started.

"Self-defense, I know. The problem is my self is too weak." Demetri said getting out of the pond, grabbing his shoes and walking off. I got out quickly and followed him calling out his name. He was almost to the gate when I caught up to him and grabbed his arm.

"Demetri, I thought you would have decided to try again." I told him.

"Well, I guess not." He said sadly.

"I didn't know Eli was threating you. I'm so sorry. I understand what you're going through."

"No, no you don't. He doesn't call you a bitch or a pussy because you can't handle being punched in the face."

"You're right, Demi......I don't understand but I'm your friend and I'm here to help you. You're not weak. Everyone learns at a different speed."

"Thank you, Y/N." He said slowly putting his hands on my waist.

"Do you want to go to the mall with Robby, Sam and I?" I asked him.

"Sure. Could be fun."

Later that day, we went to the mall together. Demetri was feeling better and we had Five Guys for lunch. We sat in the mall talking to each other. Demetri was his normal awkward self but we didn't mind. We were talking about 80's movies as we ate.

"Wait, is today Wednesday?" Demetri asked suddenly.

"Yup." Robby and I said.

"The new issue of Dungeon Lord came out! Do you guys want anything from the comic book store?" Demetri asked us. We shook our heads as he went to the comic book store alone. The three of us chuckled as he went.

"He's not so bad once you get to know him." I said to them. "I know he's sort of awkward but he's a great guy."

"You two are good friends. You'd would be good together. I can tell you like him." Robby said to me.

"I don't see it as impossible." I admitted.

"So, you agree?" Sam asked me.

"What?"

"You like him." Sam said.

"Yeah, I guess." I said unsure.

We put Demetri's food in a box once we finished and we went into a movie and book store while we waited for him. We saw him running back to the food court and followed him. I saw Hawk and a few other boys surrounding him. One of them grabbed onto him.

"Hawk! What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Y/N this has nothing to do with you. Demetri deserves everything he's about to get." Hawk said putting his fists up ready to punch Demetri. I went in between them not letting either hurt each other.

"Move!" Hawk yelled at me.

"No! I won't let you hurt Demetri." I said still standing between them.

"Move or be moved!"

"I guess I'll have to be moved then." I said taking a fighting position. Hawk pushed me into two of the other boys who held onto me tightly as Hawk approached Demetri. Sam and Robby came and started fighting off the boys. I joined in too; making sure Demetri didn't get hurt. We took them all down and I looked over at Demetri who was trembling. I hugged him tightly and he hugged me back. I really wanted to kiss him. I felt his head rest on my shoulder and then we released. We went to Sam's car and drove to her house. I sat with Sam and Robby as Daniel talked with Demetri. I felt so bad for him. Eli had just tried to beat his ass. His best friend just intended on hurting him.

"It was like we were back at the pond." Sam said in amazement.

"Yeah, it was." Robby said equally amazed.

"I feel so bad for him." I said in a sad tone. They both looked over at me. Sam put her hand on my hand and I looked at her.

"Maybe you should try to talk to Eli about it. Maybe you could clear the air for both of them." She suggested.

"I guess you're right."